Cummins Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
642 reviews filtered by

1. diesel technician

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

great benefits, pay, and growth

Cons

outstanding company, nothing wrong about company

Ethical, innovative company that builds/supports quality product, communities and careers!

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My experience with Cummins has been very positive, in that I've had the opportunity to build my career and grow from within the company. I'm able to work collaboratively and cross-functionally to gain a deeper knowledge of the product and become immersed within the culture. All of my managers have asked me from day one, what my goals were for myself and have been supportive of my career development plan. Cummins encourages employees to take on roles, learn, grow, work hard, share the knowledge and continuing along to build your career by moving on to other roles within the company. Encouraged growth is very important to me! They also promote community involvement and volunteering within the community (very cool!). Their attention to environmental causes, not only locally but globally is amazing! My work life balance is very good. All of my managers have been understanding and work with me as a working mother and someone who has health problems from time to time. This is such a relief! Cummins supports me as an employee and individual.

Cons

No matter what company you work for, there are always going to be challenges, both personally & professionally. The grass is not always greener on the other side! With that said, I've found my experience within Cummins has taught me it's important to voice concerns with coworkers/management/leadership constructively and in a manner that sparks change from a positive place. Sell yourself, be accountable and work hard - that's how you'll stand out and continue to grow.

Coaching is very important. Regular One-on-Ones are key to understanding your employees, identifying weaknesses and strengths, improving daily work/projects and opening the line of communication for effective and efficient work plans. Nothing should be a surprise to an employee if leadership is communicating effectively with their employees, groups, departments.

3. Good company to work for..

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good values, treatment of others, good growth opportunities

Cons

overplayed six sigma, too much manufacturing focused

better compensation would help attract talent.

5. Exceptional Experience at Cummins

Former Intern - Mechanical Design Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Former Intern - Mechanical Design Engineer in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere at Cummins is very laid back. The managers and supervisors are supportive. Great diversity and many social events during the summer including the Cricket Tournament and Float & Roast.

Cons

There is a lot of training and reading involved in order to catch up with Cummins' technology and learn how they go about doing things. There many meetings throughout the day.

Since there are many cross-functional departments and teams working on one product, it would be helpful to present a PowerPoint describing all of the teams involved and their relationship to what you will be working on. This will be extremely beneficial to any intern or new employee, especially in the engineering department. It will be a starting point to know who to refer to when you run into problems.

6. Great Company to work for

I have been working at Cummins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity, Work Environment, Career opportunities

Cons

The HQ Location is not the best

As Location is not the best ..good talent will try to move to a mediocre company with better location ..Improving a location is not something the management can do however, they need to try other things in terms of benefits to retain the talent.

7. Product Engineer, Wonderful Company

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Juárez, México (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Juárez, México (Mexico)

I have been working at Cummins full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Huge potential for improvement, company has a great reputation amongst the general public. Great corporate values as well as much care and effort on the person not the "employee". Has a profit share compensation even in Mx, best food at the plants of all the companies I've been at. All around a great company to work at with multicultural involvement day to day.

Cons

Disconnection between plants and development create an akward ambience where nobody seems to comprehend beyond their own responsibility.

Great company culture where people care

Former Intern - Purchasing Intern in Columbus, IN
    Former Intern - Purchasing Intern in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There is a fantastic sense of a team environment throughout the company. They practice what they preach in terms of values and responsibility. Many opportunities to change career trajectories through finance, engineering, HR, purchasing.

Cons

Often difficult to communicate ideas and contact those needed. Cummins is heavily focused on their engineers, so it is possible to feel less important in other positions.

Continue to be passionate about your employees! My managers and teams cared for myself and everyone else. It created a dynamic working environment.

9. Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Design Engineer Technical Specialist in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Design Engineer Technical Specialist in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People that work there are highly professional, honest, and highly skilled people.

Cons

Constant people change so difficult to maintain historical data.

Carrer planning to the same dapartment in order to built experienced professional in each department.

Great company

Former Intern - Materials Intern in Fridley, MN
    Former Intern - Materials Intern in Fridley, MN

I worked at Cummins as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Big company and very systematic

Cons

long work hour and you may need to OT

11. Rapidserve Engineer

I have been working at Cummins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Salary, very cooperative environments, and room to grow

Cons

High turnover, this job is very challenging.

More face to face interaction with employees