Cummins Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
3.7

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger

Pros
  • The fact that it is HQ'ed in Indiana gives a very nice work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to learn different sides of businesses (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy (in 23 reviews)

• Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

"Great Company to Intern for"

Current Employee - Applications Hosting  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Applications Hosting in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great Pay
    Helpful Leaders
    Team Orientated
    Everyone Open to Ideas
    Doesn't feel like work more like hobby love working

Cons

Housing is a issue
    Need to give notices to other employees on interns

Most flexible workplace with lot of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible timing, Opportunities. Wide range of products provide learning opportunities

Cons

Laid back approach and bad locations worldwide. Worst medical insurance

I couldn't leave fast enough

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Pros

Traveling and Columbus, IN. Learning was done through submersion in the engine industry.

Cons

Diversity is taken as a checkbox and I became one of those statistics. My role was based purely on gender and not on qualifications. We had ongoing harassment issues on my team and despite repeated attempts to address it nothing was done. Internal movement inside of the company is a joke. Upwards movement is solely based on time in a team and completion of Six Sigma. Ethics were lost on the project I was working on when push came to shove with deadlines. Safety was not considered and there was a very "out of sight, out of mind" attitude with non-US work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Work Culture

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

There is a lot of room for personal growth. Everyone in the company is very nice and welcoming, and makes it easy to feel comfortable and right at home.

Cons

The number of locations available to work at are limited, and aren't in any urban areas. You might have to make quite the commute to get to work.

Very Satisfied

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

The pros are based upon the breadth of the company and the ease of moving around within roles.

Cons

I haven't really experienced any negatives here at Cummins besides their locations which are mostly in the middle of nowhere.

Horrible! I've never seen such a disaster. Who cares about people just get the product out the door

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

None that I can think of. The higher the management, the more clueless they are. But if your looking for a place where you can get a daily update by the water cooler, then this is it.

Cons

This is the epitome of disorganization. The peons that you keep walking all over are the same peons doing all the work for you.

Get some people skills

Cummins is a great learning experience

Current Employee - Product Design Engineer  in  Fridley, MN
    Current Employee - Product Design Engineer in Fridley, MN

I have been working at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Get to do relevant work for company
    -work is challenging
    -good balance of hands on work and computer work
    -work environment is laid back
    -very diverse workplace
    -flexible hours

Cons

-have to create work at times
    -horrendous IT department

Many times, I felt that the IT department hindered my ability to work, when the whole point of technology is to make work more productive.

Good, best Starter Company

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a good company to start off your career. Quite a bit of functions to chose from & pretty easy to get in, as long as you can get through the behavioral interview.

Cons

Career Stagnates pretty quick, if you are in the non essential functions, like purchasing, supply chain and manufacturing. There is quite a bit of office politics and things are quite a bit slow.

Well, take some risks and responsiblity

Very different company, watch your back. Keep quiet about anything personal as long as possible.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big company with product required to meet government emissions requirements. Competitors have to buy Cummins after treatment to comply with gov regulations.
    They are always hiring (big clue here).
    Solid company.

Cons

Passive aggressive HR.
    Union workers can not be managed, they run the place.
    Exempt employees are easy to replace, poor performance by union employees will result in nothing happening to the union guys and the boss getting fired.
    2 year rotation. After 2 years, one is on borrowed time. They require people to find a new position to rotate to. And for a really technical job, 2 years is not really long enough to learn everything. So about the time you get comfy, time to go.
    Cummins has a political agenda, you better be on board.
    Very political environment. They say they make decisions based on data...not true. Better make friends with the bosses.
    Six sigma projects are required at some levels, so they do many unnecessary phony baloney projects.
    Ok for a first job, experienced people will be shocked.

Good luck with everything.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only pro is being grateful to be employed during the time of limited US economic growth

Cons

The company is tightly coupled to a left of center political position and aligns many HR policies and PR releases to support a socialist type political party agenda. Cummins advocates diversity and equality - as long as it is their version of same. You must leave your religious convictions and morals at home as differing views are not allowed. The company is built on over educated (under experienced) minors who's biggest accomplishment is a diploma. Salary for experienced professionals is poor with respect to the industry peers. Six Sigma is used primarily for public relations "perception marketing". Externally trained 6Sigma Green/ Black Belts will find the company's 6Sigma training and educational materials very dated (from the 80's) with limited relevance to today's business climate and operational concerns. 6Sigma is over emphasized, while ITIL and PMP are not recognized as business essential. This is reflected in the dusty technology / applications, and IT operations.

Your HR policies favor political correctness at the expense of the traditional family. Your company no longer displays the small town Indiana, mid-western values that once made it a highly respectable company. The company now displays the same radical socio-political traits of the UN, the democrat party, or social oriented NGO.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!