Cummins Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.7

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger

Pros
  • The fact that it is HQ'ed in Indiana gives a very nice work-life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Working there has given me the opportunity to learn marketable skills I can use in other businesses (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy (in 22 reviews)

• Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing company

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

Well paid; good culture; upward mobility

Cons

Location; everything else is great about company.

Nice benefits Nicer to newbies than long terms

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits package, nice bonus program, lots of history, opportunity for very long term employment

Cons

Perks and higher salaries are dedicated to recruiting new hires no incentive for being a long term employee.

Take care of the ones that have been with you as much as the ones you want to hire!

Awesome

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Cool, awesome, sweet. Love it. Great Experience!

Cons

Cool, awesome, sweet. Nothing bad to say.

Great job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work Culture

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing work culture, people are given space to do things their way. Flexibility in work hours, superiors are accommodating and supportive.

Cons

Being a big organization, as an intern i didn't find many opportunities to explore various functions within the organization. Also, I was assigned on a single project which constrained my domain.

Accommodation was tough to find. Please provide accommodation to interns.

Great company, tough personalities

I worked at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, Cummins is a great company with terrific performance both in the past and in the future trajectory. It's serious about sustainability and manufacturing engines and other products with reduced emissions levels. Employees are given paid time off for community service, and the wellness programs are extensive and leading edge.

Cons

The culture can be tough, depending on where you work. My immediate team was terrific but beyond that I found the personalities tough and sometimes difficult to work with. SIx Sigma is king and, at times, projects are done for the sake of doing projects rather than because there is a need to improve the process.

Revise your approach to Six Sigma by refining the training content to apply beyond engineering. If all professional employees have to take it, make it meaningful to them.

Underpaid and overworked

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The annual bonus is the only plus

Cons

My experience has been that middle management styles are not compliant to what the company's upper management attempts to cultivate throughout the company.

Please enhance the time-off policies, benefits, and work-life balance

Good starter for college grads. Eventually have to move on to do something more meaningful.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company does well in the marketplace. Some people have been in the industry for very long and can be a good resource of experience.

Cons

Bureaucracy, takes annoyingly a lot of time to make any changes, get approvals, etc.
    Low-quality of work in many areas.
    Everything is hard to find (documents, data, etc), because organization if very, very chaotic. Nobody is responsible for anything, and everybody is responsible for everything. Easy to loose track of what's going on and who does what.
    Computer system is horible, laptops are super slow and break often.
    Working with union technician is simply a nightmare. The worst experience ever, even if you are a very patient and nice. I would say it reaches level of surrealism sometimes. I just couldn't believe it.
    Old technologies. If the company doesn't invest in developing new aggressive technologies, it will be taken over by competitors.
    Highly conservative approach in engineering. Parts are oversized, though robust. A lot of room for technical excellence improvement or at least update/refresh.
    Salary less than average in the industry.

See Cons entry above.

Talks the talk, but needs to walk the walk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you are in the right place, they will encourage development and allow employees to move around the company to gain experience in several different roles and business units. Even though headquarters is tucked away in a small Indiana town, you couldn't ask for a better place to be exposed to so many cultures and diversity. Cummins is finally, and truly, morphing into a global company.

Cons

Employee rating system is archaic and not applied consistently. And beyond the problems with the performance rating system, most HR practices across the company are not standardized and are highly inconsistent, unfair, and sometimes just a complete mystery. Good luck trying to find a documented HR policy or procedure anywhere.

A lot of talk about ethics, but too many instances of bringing down the hammer on lower ranked employees while same standards are not enforced with senior leaders. The company is still a "who you know" kind of place and if you rub elbows with senior leaders, you will go far, regardless of competence or performance. It is a very passive-aggressive company culture, so it's not uncommon to see good people walked out in lay-offs because they might have disagreed with the wrong person in the past, and at the same time the company has a chronic inability to deal with under-performers. If our performance rating system actually worked, this wouldn't be happening at nearly the rate that it does.

You will find that Cummins is a more laid back culture and nothing moves quickly. If you are applying for a job there, the process moves incredibly slowly. In fact, if you are a motivated, results-oriented, go-getter type, this company is probably not a good fit for you.

Senior leaders can't be beyond reproach and employees need to see that the same ethical standards apply across the board.

Its been a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator  in  Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A strong pipeline of projects to challenge your thinking capabilities

Cons

Project life cycles changes are very quick.

the head office is at a very small place and not ideal to tap new talents.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Cummins for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging
    Reward hard work
    Great management
    Good opportunity for rapid advancement

Cons

work life balance challenging at times
    large company - sometimes a lot of inertia

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!