Cummins Rocky Mountain

Bill Wolpert

No way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Mount, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Cummins Rocky Mountain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay & benefits
    High security

Cons

No engineering opportunities.
    Too much emphasis to administration.
    Too many regulations most of which contradicts each other.

Dysfunction To The Core

I worked at Cummins Rocky Mountain full-time

Pros

Your co workers will be nice, although this company has a revolving door. Heed the comments on glassdoor.

Cons

*Disorganized
    *Management seems to just chase their tail.
    *Loose when it comes to safety, yet they harp at reducing recordable injuries
    The company was acquired by Cummins Inc but there is no change here because you have the same ol managers with the same ol ideas and inability to lead.
    Senior Managers just come into the Branches dump and run.

As stated above, Dysfunction to the core and starts with you.

Disappointed from what I thought it would be

I have been working at Cummins Rocky Mountain

Pros

The name Cummins is sort of respected.

Cons

No training
    You are just expected to know things
    When things go wrong you will be blamed and thought incompetent
     There are people with manager in their title and completely clueless as to what this means much less how to communicate, mentor, teach and lead. Accountability is indiscriminate.
    Incompetence at Manager level and above not accountable.
    Troublemakers are not dealt with.
    Long work hours

There is potential to make this better.

Don't waste your time and career here

I have been working at Cummins Rocky Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok starting salary but the benefits are lacking a bit. For example vacation time is off from most other companies this size.

Cons

It starts with management or "leadership" as it is thrown about. Qualities of a leader include: competence, character, communication and charisma, just to name a few. Many don't appear competent in their position and promote people as equally incompetent. If some have the ability to "communicate" by the words from their mouth you will immediately receive a mixed message by their actions.

Charisma, it is no longer about "you". As an employee you can expect to be used and abused. The employee will become the person that is blamed for what should be blamed on management or "leadership" .

If there are cracks in somebody's character, you will quickly learn not to trust. This makes for a toxic environment

As long as incompetents with gaps in their character that can’t communicate and don’t take ownership are disguised as “leaders” or managers you will get more of the same:
    -high turnover
    -reputation where people don’t want to work here
    -mediocre business performance

Great company. Poorly organized branch.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/PowerGen Coordinator in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/PowerGen Coordinator in Sparks, NV

I worked at Cummins Rocky Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits! I had excellent benefits at this job! I had a baby while working here and between my 80% health coverage and my utilization of the companies flex-spending account, it was all taken care of. Even with all of the added expense of a very complicated delivery. My co-workers were wonderful and I miss them all dearly. The management, on the other hand, was new and very disorganized, although I am not sure how they could have avoided it at the time.

Cons

Lack of initial training. But when I asked for it I got it. The nature of the business. Customers were only there because something of theirs that was very expensive and valuable was broken. As I was the one who handled the majority of the finances I got to handle the brunt of customers' anger. I did not make as much money as I should have for the amount of work I was doing. I was making 14 dollars per hour and through the grapevine I heard that the person I replaced had been making 25! This did not sit well with me.

MORE INITIAL TRAINING! Better pay.

Good pay, good training but not middle management friendly

I worked at Cummins Rocky Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good training, great safety culture they truly expect all employees to be safe and they empower the employees to stop work if a situation is unsafe.

Cons

Management above the branch level is heavy handed and do not allow any of the lower managers (the ones actually on the front lines) to make any decisions regarding the business. I was a supervisor for field technicians and was let go for being rude to employee's. In my experience when an employee needs to be reminded over and over again how the company wants certain things done sometimes an honest and frank conversation needs to happen.

I would let them know that as a service supervisor my job was basically a glorified service writer. The expectations and amount of supervisory duties you put on the supervisors is ridiculous. Let your supervisors manage their employee's and have some direct control over their department. Everything is managed by corporate, in branch managers and supervisors are useless as is, save the company some money in salaries and eliminate in branch managers you don't listen to them anyway.

this place is a joke to work for - keep looking elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Cummins Rocky Mountain full-time

Pros

non-management co-workers were nice to me

Cons

upper management, lack of training, working holiday, working weekends

Loyalty Lost

I have been working at Cummins Rocky Mountain full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is decent and you get to work with some smart and interesting folks. Benefits are not too bad either, but I have had better.

Cons

First and foremost, how many managers does a single company need? It's a giant pissing contest with one manager trying to outdo the other!

Second and more unforgiving, this company has no loyalty. Been working here for 20 years? Work 12 hour days and on the weekends too? Doesn't matter. I've watched people get laid off or outright fired for no apparent reason. They don't even have the courtesy to let these people leave with their honor intact. It is an unhealthy environment with people questioning DAILY if they will still have their jobs at the end of the day.

A manager does things right. A leader does the right thing. You may know how to manage (sometimes) but you know nothing about being a leader. If you want to earn the respect and loyalty of your employees, start by leading by example.

Great company, with lots of opporunity to learn

I have been working at Cummins Rocky Mountain (more than 10 years)

Pros

A very caring culture, especially around safety - they walk the talk

Cons

Work/life balance can be a bit challenging

TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Henderson, CO
    Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Henderson, CO

I worked at Cummins Rocky Mountain full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ummmmm........decent pay and benefits. Good group of technicians.

Cons

Job safety analysis process is ridiculous. Management has a "customer is always right attitude " so you better hope you weren't the last one to touch that truck. Service supervisor is not knowledgeable of cummins engines (Henderson, CO) They hire to many technicians so there is never enough work to go around. Computers are always broken so for 12 techs only 1 or 2 computers work.

Back up your employees. Stop hiring people just to lay them off. Don't just hear your employees ideas, listen to them and use them. Hire supervisors that are subject matter experts. Get computers for all your techs so they don't have to wait on one while on a job.