Cummins Turbo Technologies

Updated July 6, 2014
Updated July 6, 2014
3.6

Tracy Embree

Great company to work for

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

Great work culture. Good personal growth. Growing company and a leader of the industry. A company which cares about their employees.

Cons

Still a small part of the parent company. As with any place, this company also has opportunities to improve if they want to continue to be a industry leader. They will need to continue to attract and retain good talent and preserve the work culture

Watch out for overseas management

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

Travel to Europe and Asia and South America

Cons

Overseas managers are very heirarchial and do not communicate with their direct reports very well. Do your time in CTT and move to another business unit. Managers praise work/life balace, but then want to you to work 60+ hours while getting minimal pay for 40 hours per week.

Actually put into practice what the Cummins Inc. CEO initiates and not a lot of lip service for you to look good. Hire managers that actually have management qualifications rather that who is the "it" or "favored" crowd or "you don't know what to do with them" types of managers

Things are not as good as they seem when you pull back the layers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

There is a strong desire to live the company values, and do the right things. People are dedicated and work hard.

Cons

Some functions are still in the novice stage and are behind industry standards. Behind the times in IT, Supply Chain, and HR to name a few functions.

Don't be afraid to hold people accountable. People might actually like it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good first job, but no growth potential for technical track.

Former Employee - Product Engineer
    Former Employee - Product Engineer

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere. I enjoyed working with everyone. Great place to pick up necessary skills for career engineers.

Cons

The company makes turbochargers. If you want diverse design experience, you won't get it there.

I learned a great deal as an intern.

Former Employee - Product Engineering  in  Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Product Engineering in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies

Pros

Cummins has a very good work culture. The management is very respectful. There is also great opportunity for travel. Cummins also offers great training and retention of employees.

Cons

The location of the headquarters in Columbus Indiana is not very desirable for a young person. This city is at least 45 minutes away from any large city.

Leadership techniques were good. My manager maintained an open door policy. Within the engineering sector, this is usually the case.

Be prepared to sink or swim!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great for learning, increasing own experience and responsibilities. Possibility to change things through 6 Sigma, access to global contact network and some level of global mobility within the company.

Cons

Overall very poor management. Tendency to firefight with the excuse that the company grows very fast (used in interviews regurlarly)
    Work life balance heavily dependant on manager.
    Cummins vision might be great but no implemented in practice.
    The majority of the workforce have only worked at CTT since they completed their education; they don´t know anything else and live locally. In consequence there are a number of groups internally that drive behaviour - very very clique.
    Limited exposure to new things, poor IT tools to manage data and processes (heavily reliant on excel)
    Once a new process implemented works, it will be burdened with additional tasks until it stops being efficient.

Listen to your employees, establish and honest dialogue.

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner  in  Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, looks after it's employees.
    Recognises the need for good work life balance.
    has amazing values and not just an organisation that puts them on the website, they really mean it!

Cons

Too much red tape and 'corporate governance'

Listen to employees, be less rigid in working hours

satisfactory

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dewās, Madhya Pradesh (India)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dewās, Madhya Pradesh (India)

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies part-time for less than a year

Pros

good working hours, work environment is awesome

Cons

leave policy takes a toll on you

make the leave policy flexible, if possible

Nice place to work but uninspiring

Current Employee - Placement Student Engineer  in  Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Placement Student Engineer in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Some of the nicest people I've worked with. Knowledgeable people experts in their respective fields. Most people have good work/life balance. Good graduate and intern social community with many night outs. Good well equipped large gym.

Cons

Uninspiring tedious jobs given to interns (I wasn't alone). Old fashioned in their ways. Location is hardly glamorous. Canteen while cheap is not exactly great. Salary paid to interns are below what other companies have offered their students (as I later found) and I know a lot of people are leaving the company now because of salary freeze.

Please give interns interesting things to do.

Very enjoyable and rewarding internship

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very supportive, they like to ensure everyone reaches their full potential. In the three months I was there I attended at least 3 training courses. Everyone is very dedicated to the success of the company.

Cons

Unfortunately it wasn't in the area that I wished to pursue my career and Huddersfield was slightly too far away from my family than I would have liked if working full time.

Keep up the good work.

Worked for Cummins Turbo Technologies? Contribute to the Community!