Cummins Turbo Technologies

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.6

Tracy Embree

Great company to work for

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

Great work culture. Good personal growth. Growing company and a leader of the industry. A company which cares about their employees.

Cons

Still a small part of the parent company. As with any place, this company also has opportunities to improve if they want to continue to be a industry leader. They will need to continue to attract and retain good talent and preserve the work culture

Good experience but I didn't get to do problem solving and had to work about 45 hours a week

Former Employee - Supply ChainMaterials Team in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Supply ChainMaterials Team in Charleston, SC

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I gained good experience in Supply Chain Management for the local plant. I did not feel particularly challenged and felt my team did not know how to utilize my analytical skills. I was given 13 projects in order to get a holistic view of the company and was able to do some networking with company stake holders.

Cons

I had to work a lot of hours and worked on salary. Some meetings began at 6:30 am and I was advised to stay until around 5pm because all of the office workers did and I should look dedicated. My major is business analytics and I was not given the opportunity to do any analytics at all really. Housing was NOT covered and paying rent in Charleston,SC nearly took up my whole summer's salary.

Offering housing assistance would be very helpful. Also, I did not know that I was working in a manufacturing setting with a uniform and strict safety standards. I wish I would have known about the dress code and have been given a uniform on day 1. It was embarrassing to constantly be told I was violating safety policies that i did not even existed.

Watch out for overseas management

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

Travel to Europe and Asia and South America

Cons

Overseas managers are very heirarchial and do not communicate with their direct reports very well. Do your time in CTT and move to another business unit. Managers praise work/life balace, but then want to you to work 60+ hours while getting minimal pay for 40 hours per week.

Actually put into practice what the Cummins Inc. CEO initiates and not a lot of lip service for you to look good. Hire managers that actually have management qualifications rather that who is the "it" or "favored" crowd or "you don't know what to do with them" types of managers

Things are not as good as they seem when you pull back the layers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

There is a strong desire to live the company values, and do the right things. People are dedicated and work hard.

Cons

Some functions are still in the novice stage and are behind industry standards. Behind the times in IT, Supply Chain, and HR to name a few functions.

Don't be afraid to hold people accountable. People might actually like it.

A good first job, but no growth potential for technical track.

Former Employee - Product Engineer
    Former Employee - Product Engineer

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good atmosphere. I enjoyed working with everyone. Great place to pick up necessary skills for career engineers.

Cons

The company makes turbochargers. If you want diverse design experience, you won't get it there.

I learned a great deal as an intern.

Former Employee - Product Engineering in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Product Engineering in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies

Pros

Cummins has a very good work culture. The management is very respectful. There is also great opportunity for travel. Cummins also offers great training and retention of employees.

Cons

The location of the headquarters in Columbus Indiana is not very desirable for a young person. This city is at least 45 minutes away from any large city.

Leadership techniques were good. My manager maintained an open door policy. Within the engineering sector, this is usually the case.

Industrial placement

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+ Good Work life Balance
    + Lots of training and development opportunities.
    + Good social life (outside of the department).

Cons

- Poor working culture within Finance
    -Chaotic during month end cycles

Encourage more junior employees to take on management based work experience

Be prepared to sink or swim!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great for learning, increasing own experience and responsibilities. Possibility to change things through 6 Sigma, access to global contact network and some level of global mobility within the company.

Cons

Overall very poor management. Tendency to firefight with the excuse that the company grows very fast (used in interviews regurlarly)
    Work life balance heavily dependant on manager.
    Cummins vision might be great but no implemented in practice.
    The majority of the workforce have only worked at CTT since they completed their education; they don´t know anything else and live locally. In consequence there are a number of groups internally that drive behaviour - very very clique.
    Limited exposure to new things, poor IT tools to manage data and processes (heavily reliant on excel)
    Once a new process implemented works, it will be burdened with additional tasks until it stops being efficient.

Listen to your employees, establish and honest dialogue.

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, looks after it's employees.
    Recognises the need for good work life balance.
    has amazing values and not just an organisation that puts them on the website, they really mean it!

Cons

Too much red tape and 'corporate governance'

Listen to employees, be less rigid in working hours

satisfactory

Former Employee - Intern in Dewās, Madhya Pradesh (India)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dewās, Madhya Pradesh (India)

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good working hours, work environment is awesome

Cons

leave policy takes a toll on you

make the leave policy flexible, if possible