Cummins Turbo Technologies

Tracy Embree

Cummins Turbo

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Summerville, SC
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Summerville, SC

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement. Movement from entry level to lower management positions is quite possible. Lots of training opportunities. Six Sigma training available.

Cons

I had problems with getting support in my position. I was employed during and after the economic down turn which they didn't handle well. The business fell then came back at a rate that they couldn't handle.

Help your employees with their struggles.

Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Finance in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Finance in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Social responsible.

Cons

No opportunity to grow. Too big of a corporation.

Good experience but I didn't get to do problem solving and had to work about 45 hours a week

Former Intern - Supply ChainMaterials Team in Charleston, SC
    Former Intern - Supply ChainMaterials Team in Charleston, SC

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I gained good experience in Supply Chain Management for the local plant. I did not feel particularly challenged and felt my team did not know how to utilize my analytical skills. I was given 13 projects in order to get a holistic view of the company and was able to do some networking with company stake holders.

Cons

I had to work a lot of hours and worked on salary. Some meetings began at 6:30 am and I was advised to stay until around 5pm because all of the office workers did and I should look dedicated. My major is business analytics and I was not given the opportunity to do any analytics at all really. Housing was NOT covered and paying rent in Charleston,SC nearly took up my whole summer's salary.

Offering housing assistance would be very helpful. Also, I did not know that I was working in a manufacturing setting with a uniform and strict safety standards. I wish I would have known about the dress code and have been given a uniform on day 1. It was embarrassing to constantly be told I was violating safety policies that i did not even existed.

Great company to work for

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

Great work culture. Good personal growth. Growing company and a leader of the industry. A company which cares about their employees.

Cons

Still a small part of the parent company. As with any place, this company also has opportunities to improve if they want to continue to be a industry leader. They will need to continue to attract and retain good talent and preserve the work culture

Watch out for overseas management

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

Travel to Europe and Asia and South America

Cons

Overseas managers are very heirarchial and do not communicate with their direct reports very well. Do your time in CTT and move to another business unit. Managers praise work/life balace, but then want to you to work 60+ hours while getting minimal pay for 40 hours per week.

Actually put into practice what the Cummins Inc. CEO initiates and not a lot of lip service for you to look good. Hire managers that actually have management qualifications rather that who is the "it" or "favored" crowd or "you don't know what to do with them" types of managers

Things are not as good as they seem when you pull back the layers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time

Pros

There is a strong desire to live the company values, and do the right things. People are dedicated and work hard.

Cons

Some functions are still in the novice stage and are behind industry standards. Behind the times in IT, Supply Chain, and HR to name a few functions.

Don't be afraid to hold people accountable. People might actually like it.

A good first job, but no growth potential for technical track.

Former Employee - Product Engineer
    Former Employee - Product Engineer

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere. I enjoyed working with everyone. Great place to pick up necessary skills for career engineers.

Cons

The company makes turbochargers. If you want diverse design experience, you won't get it there.

I learned a great deal as an intern.

Former Employee - Product Engineering in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Product Engineering in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins Turbo Technologies

Pros

Cummins has a very good work culture. The management is very respectful. There is also great opportunity for travel. Cummins also offers great training and retention of employees.

Cons

The location of the headquarters in Columbus Indiana is not very desirable for a young person. This city is at least 45 minutes away from any large city.

Leadership techniques were good. My manager maintained an open door policy. Within the engineering sector, this is usually the case.

Occasionally corporate procedures irritate, but everyone is helpful, great facilities, and work + social atmosphere

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Almost everyone on site seems very friendly and happy to help with your problems. The site also has an impressive amount of resources available, including plenty of test cells. Good social side too.

Cons

Some overbearing corporate-ness. This can include mandatory training and methods of working which hinder my ability to work. If you can get over these and the slightly below average level of pay (although cost to live in Huddersfield if very low), it is a great place to work.

Ditch the mandatory training, and attempts to control how we work; let us get on with it.

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Cummins Turbo Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Strong on culture and values
    - Ample career opportunities within organisation (Internal Job Postings)
    - Good Work life balance (flexi time policy, work from home option, etc)
    - Emphasis on training (almost 100 hours training each year on each employee)
    - Good facilities to focus on work (bus service, creche, cafetaria, etc)
    - Process oriented organisation

Cons

- Remuneration is comparatively lower
    - Too much emphasis on women empowerment (almost at the stage of promoting women talent just to make up the numbers
    - Not much transparency in the promotion or hiring cycle

- Focus to improve remuneration to keep attrition in check
    - Balanced approach in promoting women talent
    - Improve transparency in filling up positions