Cumulus Media Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.3

Cumulus Media Chairman, President and CEO Lew Dickey Jr.
Lew Dickey Jr.

Pros
  • Great People to work for fun environment (in 9 reviews)

• The people below the top level management are hard-working, wonderful people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-managing of the highest level (in 9 reviews)

• I was told to interview sales staff even during a hiring freeze to worry the (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

The job is fun, but you'll never get a raise.

Current Employee - Radio Announcer
    Current Employee - Radio Announcer

I have been working at Cumulus Media full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you can't have fun doing radio, then you can't have fun. It's a laid back, casual work environment where you get to play music and talk for a living. The hours are not long (though you might have to work weekends) and the job is not especially stressful or demanding. It's just radio.

Cons

Get as much money as you can up front, because you'll never get a raise. Your intelligence and wisdom from experience won't be worth very much because all the decisions come from corporate. Local management has very minimal input on how things are run. Your artistic freedom will be limited to what you can say in 30 seconds or less. And yes, you will be judged by your ratings despite the fact that you don't have much influence on the content of your show.

You might have some bright minds in the corporate office, but you have plenty of brain power and experience in the local markets. They know what they're doing, so please let them do it. Cost of living increases and the occasional performance increase or bonus would be nice, too. Nobody gets into radio for the money, but it's hard to have much enthusiasm and team spirit when your salary is frozen for years at a time.

Candid Experience

I have been working at Cumulus Media full-time

Pros

As a top-rated broadcast insitution on the gobal front, Cumulus Media is a wonderful company for anybody looking to dabble in the finesse that is radio advertisement.

Cons

Cumulus Media spends too much time investing in the sales department and too little time elsewhere. Although there are benefits provided (health, vision, etc), you're going to pay for clinical visits out of pocket more often than not.

The company values should be re-evaluated to equally apply to all departments, not merely sales.

Great starting job out of college

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome Experience builder. Great team work. Good pay. Great atmosphere.

Cons

Compressed territory. Not much room for growth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Got word that all the engineers quit in the Atlanta office.. maybe that caused the reversal in the company.

I worked at Cumulus Media as a contractor

Pros

Worked for a radio station through them and that was the best job I have ever had. But I loved the music and the coworkers like great friends.

Cons

The company seems to be doing badly, as stated many engineers quit for them, bad tower placement in my area (but that could just be a bad choice for the local branch)

Status Quo, not good or bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Cumulus Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cons

They have a playbook and they run it. They've figured out a system of sales that they believe can transfer from Market to Market. This is not always accurate in the real World. Every city has different nuances and different approaches. While the broad based approach definitely has a strong value for working with franchises and corporations it doesn't always work with the local business owner who is still the bread and butter of radio sales. I would encourage a little more flexibility.

Do what you can to keep radio as local as you can. I think you get that just be more public about it.

Experienced the most irritating and disorganized work environment with all of the little sales managers doing all they

Former Employee - Radio Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Radio Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun...sometimes get to meet local celebrities ....training at this facility is outstanding. Probably the best training I have ever been part of designed to familiarize a sales candidate with a position. The amount of data that is finally extracted from the training is very close to an MBA in most schools...Many hours and correct answers or no worky.

Cons

Lack of standards....ridiculous. Top Sellers get the best and most expensive (Is that right)...top sellers also get to sell for more than one radio station....that's a very big and bad issue.

Sharpen the damn saw! I liked some things but at that point in my life I had no choice but to resign.

Size isn't everything...

I have been working at Cumulus Media

Pros

There are good people in the trenches of this network. Any successes the company can brag about in a press release are on the backs of those people.

Cons

Way too top heavy. The company still tries to act as a smaller company when now its size dictates a new approach must be taken.

Below average company. Corporate office seemingly isn't concerned about employee morale.

I have been working at Cumulus Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are great, smart and hard working.

Cons

Benefits are bad. No annual reviews. No raises. No bonuses. Employee incentives are non existent. Morale is terrible. Layoffs are prevalent.

Invest in your employees. Change the culture. Provide motivation and incentive. Have an interest in the day to day operations within the outside offices. Communicate more. Implement annual reviews and reward employees for good work.

Growing pains ...

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cumulus Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being part of a relevant product industry - over 92% of Americans listen to radio weekly. Company growth and expansion into digital and print products.

Cons

100% commission sales with long cycles. Difficult for new to radio person to build territory and make a living. No reimbursement for miles, gas, computer, or other expenses. Understaffed business depts with low experience sub-minimum wage workers make helping clients difficult. High deductible health plan. Huge co-pays with no wellness perks. Limited career opportunities for salespeople. Company is growing and acquiring new companies. Management - locally and nationally - changes often. Unsettling and distracting. Hard to concentrate and selling when you're unsure of future. Strict non-competes make it thought for new people with skills to go to company where they'll be better appreciated.

Reimbursement - offer small car allowance, mileage or gas. Better sales perks and contests. Transparency and honesty during interview process - I.e., most large accounts are already handled by senior salespeople so new persons will be digging for scraps or unhidden "treasures". Early pay checks will be very small. Better direction on industries to target for selling. Dedicated sales managers or field trainers to help new people during first few years. Better career growth options and skill development. Initial training is awesome but continuing education is not good.

One of the cogs in the big corporate wheel

I have been working at Cumulus Media full-time

Pros

Great staff - those that are left. The CSOS training system is thorough but a tad antiquated. They are growing and taking over stations across the country.

Cons

They are growing and taking over stations across the country. Bogged down in paperwork. So many systems and cloud apps that we salespeople forgot how to hit the streets. Engage system is a great big dog leash. Publically traded company so all about growing the dollar for the shareholders and owners. Across the country they are getting rid of local talent and syndicating shows, instead.

Cumulus Media Photos

Ann McManus - Award Winner
Nash Bash
OKC-Q2

+ Add Photo

Worked for Cumulus Media? Contribute to the Community!