Cumulus Media

Cumulus Media Reviews

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.2

Cumulus Media Chairman, President and CEO Lew Dickey Jr.
Lew Dickey Jr.

Pros
  • Great networking opportunities, met a lot of great people in the industry (in 12 reviews)

• The people below the top level management are hard-working, wonderful people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told to interview sales staff even during a hiring freeze to worry the (in 8 reviews)

• there is no consideration for anyone whom is not a blood relative or upper management contributor (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed Bag

I worked at Cumulus Media

Pros

Enjoyed the job and many coworkers. Pay was commiserate with my experience. Human Resources/business manager was very helpful.

Cons

Upper management was unconcerned with with treatment of employees. Everything was about the bottom line. Morale was constantly low.

Average Employer

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Ability to use my creative side. I really liked most of my coworkers.

Cons

There is a bit of a revolving Door. They had a high employee turnover when I was employed by this organization.

Pound You for the buck

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great name and great group of stations to work for. Subsequently some really good people who have been around for awhile.

Cons

Too many cons to list but the drama of being a sales person associated with all of the administrative effort that is on your back, takes away from your ability to attract customers. The addition of just a touch of admin staff to handle the daily admin business would free the sales people to focus on their core competency. Training is a big deal and it is good. But, it takes way too long and the pay is not worth all of the BS. People take themselves way too seriously in all aspects and the pressure is very high, especially from Sales Managers. All about "what have you done for me lately".

Once again, suggest that management allow admin group handle the admin, non direct sales work just so the sales folks can focus on the things that they are hired to do. If the admin was distributed among the admins, sales people would be able to focus and meet with 40 percent more CNa's leading to a commensurate amount more of closes.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Seems to be forward thinking.

Cons

Keeping the money at the top, changing formats and the way to conduct business

Radio in the current climate

Former Employee - Radio On-Air
    Former Employee - Radio On-Air

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company did provide health insurance at a nominal cost, although the employee pay-in spiked in 2007. They had a network that made production resources fairly easy to come by. And I've had an excellent Program Director.

Cons

Mid-Level managers operating from their own personal agendas, often to the detriment of the radio cluster.

Don't rely solely on the advice of a new market manager when making personel changes. Often instead of having knowledge and skills necessary to solve problems, they tend to exacerbate them. Talk to department heads first.

Opportunities worth the Cost?

Current Employee - News Reporter/Anchor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - News Reporter/Anchor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cumulus Media part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The access to Major Market events, programming, and training is great. The on-air and production people love their job which makes for a fun work environment. Top of the ladder as far as Major Market radio (DFW market).

Cons

Horrible compensation for the caliber and quality of specialty work required. Cumulus is cheap and only cares about the bottom line and does not care about employees. Not much room for promotion as on-air talent have been with company for years and are not leaving. Ideas and suggestions go unanswered by management at all levels.

Pay your "small-time" employees better than just above minimum wage. These are the people going out and doing the real work making/reporting the news your on-air hosts talk about. Listen to employees on the ground whom need proper, up-to-date equipment to do their job professionally.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Cumulus Media

Pros

A job with a fancy title and nothing more

Cons

Run from this company. They use and abuse you. You will spend a ton of your own money without any compensation. Management is extremely cut-throat. No team spirit or support. The environment is always negative as they constantly hound everyone without any appreciation. This is the Cumulus culture at all the stations nationwide. They management from the top down (big suits telling everyone what to do), and they push until you can't take it anymore. Expend to work 10+ hours a day just to survive.

Update your resume

Corporate motto should be, "We LOVE broadcasting; it's just a shame it requires people."

Former Employee - News Director in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - News Director in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Cumulus Media

Pros

The people in the local market are kind and caring -- almost family.

Cons

Corporate required me to hire "talent" at a rate of $10 per hour. This resulted in a revolving door of people, some of whom were ALMOST capable of performing the job requirements. Those nearly qualified moved on to other jobs (for other firms) quickly.

Realize that a balance sheet has TWO columns: Income and Expenses. Cutting expenses to the bone usually adversely affects income potential.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, SC

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training program for first time sellers, decent starting pay (declining subsidy), awesome program managers and on air staff at most clusters. I was able to leave the subsidy program after only 4 months because I was outselling the program which is a good thing.

Cons

While they do a great job of training you how to sell Cumulus, they do a terrible job on how to sell against the competition (other clusters, tv, newspaper). Zero research is supplemented to the reps regarding demographics, target audience, etc. Only recently did they join back with Arbitron to get ratings. During 3/4 of my time there we could not have access to the latest Arbitron books to see where we rated in each demo. 100% commission is a scary way to make a living but that was a given going into the job. Micromanagement would be an understatement. Their Engage CRM system, while helpful to sellers as a tool, was used to scrutinize deal ratio, dollars closed, etc. Even if you made your budget or well above, they still hammered you on small things like that. Management is completely clueless on how to manage regionally. Our regional manager was over the Carolinas and was originally from Chicago. Newsflash...what works in the Midwest will not work in the South. You cannot simply streamline all of your stations nationwide to the same programming and on air personalities. But if you like working in a cutthroat environment where cash is king and loyalty means jack then Cumulus is the place for you.

Try encouraging your sellers to make more money instead of tearing them down over the smallest of details for the sake of sending a report to corporate.

average

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay for seasoned professionals

Cons

unfriendly employees, cramped work space, lack of privacy

be nice