Cumulus Media

www.cumulus.com

Cumulus Media Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Cumulus Media Chairman, President and CEO Lew Dickey Jr.

Lew Dickey Jr.

Pros
  • Great People to work for fun environment(in 9 reviews)

• The people below the top level management are hard-working, wonderful people(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-managing of the highest level(in 9 reviews)

• I was told to interview sales staff even during a hiring freeze to worry the(in 8 reviews)

Promotions Internship

Promotions Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat networking opportunities, met a lot of great people in the industry

Conswork-life balance, not many office hours

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great experience initially, but bad decisions from corporate have slowly killed this job.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe people that I work with are great, hard-working people that really want to do their best. The people in programming are strong and they strive to put out quality material. The admin and accounting team are really solid, and underpaid people. Some of the management here really care about people succeeding and being their best. The sales team does the best they can despite some of the inherent challenges in working here (see below). The commission structure is pretty good as compared to some of the other big radio groups. There is a good amount of regular sales training to keep you sharp and informed. The potential to make great money is certainly there, but doing that year after year requires retaining existing clients, which can be difficult with the declining effectiveness of some of their top station brands.

ConsPeople that aren't in the sales department are very undervalued and underpaid. Their workloads become bigger and bigger, with no additional increases in pay. The sales team faces several big challenges, chief among them being a total lack of outside marketing of stations, random and ineffective corporate sales initiatives, and a gutting of many of the stations' best on-air people, which has heavily effected many of the bigger stations' overall ratings. Managers here are often hamstrung by excessive company reports and conference calls, as well as often times unrealistic sales goals. The benefits are average. The 401k is alright because their is a company match, but the health insurance is just an expensive, very high deductible plan. Overall, the morale here is not great. People work hard and take pride in what they do, but you can only be cut off at the knees by corporate decision making so many times before you start looking for something elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize keeping your best talent and investing in the continued viability of your stations. Cut out the constant and redundant reports and unrealistic budgeting goals. Show some appreciation for your on-air and support teams.

Not what I expected . . .

Prefer Not to Say (Current Employee)

ProsThe on-the-ground people in the market are terrific, talented and really have some excellent experience and credentials. They tend to be sorely overworked, underutilized for their specialties, and not given substantial opportunity to succeed.

ConsThe lack of "hometown" radio is obvious. Cumulus is merely another sales-driven organization, with little or no interest in serving the needs of the communities to which they are licensed. There is no compassion for long-or-short term employees. It's just another big-business, with no heart in it . . .

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up! Lose some of the systems, so that the staff can do what they are trained to do best, without spending eons on accountability for the "suits" to quantify if the employees are actually doing their jobs, (yes, micromanagement is rampant.) The "answer" to this is to have a better HR system overall, (preferably with fewer steps in it, too,) so that you hire quality people, instead of the ones that "fit the matrix." Radio is, and hopefully always will be, a creative medium, and you can't hire for it based on a formula. Serve your communities, not your bosses. The long-run advantages will far outweigh the short-term financial objectives, and the company will ultimately make more both financially, and in community good-will, (ultimately, raising the value of the broadcast facilities themselves, resulting in a higher sales price down the road, both at the spot level, and at the facility level itself.)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is okay and the local people are good to work with. Time off policies are reasonable

ConsLeadership is missing at time. Communication needs to be vastly improved upon. Clearly defined expectations and goals need to be presented. Murky at times.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove lines of communications and communicate your expectations

Fun industry to work in, but not the best environment to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsIt can be great creative outlet. Lots of great people to work with. It always changing, if that is something that you like about a business. It's always evolving and improving. If you get the right Marketing Manager, it can be laid back and fun, but it's always changing. You never know what you are going to get.

ConsDepending on your job, it is very hard to balance personal life with work life. Sometimes can be very slow moving when it comes to projects, changing personnel. There isn't a good communication practice. It's always changing, so you never know who or what you are going to get.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your employees constantly. They can only benefit you and them if you tell them what you expect or plan to change. Learn to trust those you hired and give them all the tools they need.

Numerous tools for Financial success, yet you are just a number, don't forget that.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsThey give you numerous tools, packages, ideas and training to help most any person who can sell be successful

ConsToo much training, want to move into management find another company, you're just a number

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training in beginning then calm down to 2-3 times per week for training not 4 days, do more role play and let there be more days to shadow.

Great benefits, but no job stability

Radio Producer (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits of the company are fair, though hard to gain access to if you don't start as an employee.

ConsThere's no job stability and you can be let go at any time.

Good training, horrible management from bottom to top. Antiquated processes, lack of standardization creates inefficien

AM PERSONALITY (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere are no pros for my overall experience

ConsHorrible benefits, clique treatment, first grade culture, no procedures, no standardization

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate policies and procedures to allow new employees understanding of processes. Ensure fair lead distribution, encourage TEAMS and individuality - not just individuals. Worst physical office environment I have ever seen. Bad management at all levels

Career Stopper

ProsTwo weeks of vacation each year. I've not learned anything new from this company or grown my career and I cannot seem to get out of here, so I have nothing good to say.

ConsFor me I was hired into a position hoping to eventually advance and grow within the business. I've been in that position for 3 + years with no evaluation, no cost of living raise or incentives, and am unable to move around within the company, because it would require them to pay me overtime in order to help out in other areas on a part-time basis until full-time positions become available, which very rarely do.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees

unfriendly atmosphere

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosgood pay and sales resources

Conschallenging environment it's overall sales atmosphere is not tailored to success, not enough integration between employees

Advice to Senior Managementimprove sales environment

Worked for Cumulus Media? Contribute to the Community!