Cumulus Media
www.cumulus.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

Cumulus Media Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Cumulus Media Chairman, President and CEO Lew Dickey Jr.

Lew Dickey Jr.

Pros:
  • "Great People to work for fun environment"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I met alot of great people while working for Cumulus, their employees are good hard working people"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "I was told to interview sales staff even during a hiring freeze to worry the"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Extreme micro-managing practices"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awesome Fun Experience

I worked at Cumulus Media as an intern

ProsGreat People to work for fun environment.

ConsNot able to move up

Average experience

Key Account Manager (Current Employee)
Flint, MI

I have been working at Cumulus Media full-time for less than a year

ProsVariety of good products and stations to sell

ConsPoorly staffed with a revolving door of managers.

Great Resume Builder

I worked at Cumulus Media

ProsWell respected company, industry leader

ConsPoor communication from senior leadership

The Final Nail in the Coffin That is Radio

Program Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey give you a good and professional imaging VO people. If you are in the right place, you get some very knowledgeable radio people at your disposal.

ConsLow pay, tons of free work, long hours, stressed employees, watered-down radio, corporate control, one engineer for many stations, which means engineers can't get to anything other than the most crucial projects (and there is ALWAYS a station off the air), Programming station from across the county, with some peon sitting in the local stations sorting out the headache that could have been avoided if the station had just been programmed locally.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire another engineer so there is some relief for the poor guy working 80 hours a week, all hours of the day and equipment can get fixed. Pay the part-timers more than minimum wage for 5 hours a week so it pays for them to work there...whether it's by gaining on-air experience or making enough dough for the gas to drive to work is worth it, pay your employees for events they are working for free for 8-10 hours on a Saturday (at least buy them lunch????!!!), hire competent programmers, not just any old part-timer who has a year of vting overnights under his belt. Do some live radio, fix your crap, pay a living wage.

My Thoughts

Affiliate Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company is very aggressive when it comes to being competitive. There's nothing this company will not do to capture the opportunity to be first inline for success.

ConsThis company would put everything at risk to save a dollar, even if it's at your expense. there is no consideration for anyone whom is not a blood relative or upper management contributor!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more considerate of employees who would give their best to see the company succeed. Loyalty isn't cheap but a job with a company who pays attention to it's workforce is well respected.

Laid off on my birthday

News Reporter (Current Employee)
Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Cumulus Media full-time for less than a year

ProsWho doesn't love Radio? The company has a pretty good business plan-- for the benefit of business. The culture in the market I worked in felt positive, despite office politics and affairs flying around upper management and long time staff.

ConsLet's face it, radio is going the way of the dinosaurs, and so the business model is extinct. The company tried to make all of it's markets sound the same. Office politics and overall environment could have improved. Layoffs came as stock market tanked. Investment in training could have been more, but thankfully had a good teacher. Ended up that I worked with someone charged with child sex abuse.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at talent, especially young talent, and think twice about making cuts. Stop going the way of all radio and build a better local ad campaign.

Looks great on a resume, but it may squeeze the life out of you

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cumulus Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis job opens the door to many networking opportunities. There is a level of prestige that comes with working with local "celebrities".

ConsFew people with power actually care enough to take you seriously. Across the board, it seems that every department is understaffed, and the company focus as a whole is more targeted towards expansion rather than becoming a leader in one particular thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to ideas that employees present. Lots of great ideas flow through the offices, but few people are ever actually recognized for their ideas. Voice tracking may be cheaper and more convenient, but it takes away much of the personality that a radio station has.

Great People, Great Job

Promotions Assistant (Former Employee)
Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Cumulus Media part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking at cumulus was always a pleasure, and I would still be there if it wasnt for a cross country move. Everyone was so warm and it truly was a family.

ConsI really cannot think of any. They were always so willing to accommodate any of my needs, and were a pleasure to be with on a daily basis.

Learned Everything I have needed to learn here.

I have been working at Cumulus Media

ProsExcellent people to learn under.

ConsDo not like to hire full-time employees.

review

I worked at Cumulus Media as an intern

ProsPeople, food, cookies, milk, sales

Consnone, I love everything about it

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Cumulus Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cumulus Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cumulus Media CEO Lew Dickey Jr. All 172 reviews posted anonymously by Cumulus Media employees.