Cunard Line

That sinking feeling!

Former Employee - PVC - Personal Vacation Consultant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - PVC - Personal Vacation Consultant in Miami, FL

I worked at Cunard Line

Pros

As an employee of Cunard Line LTD in Miami Florida I had found my perfect job. Pamela Conover treated each and every one of us like a family member. The company expected nothing but the best from us and paid us a very fair wage in return. I never thought that a company like this existed. For the first time in my life I had found a home and more importantly and company that I could retire with.

Cons

The company moved to California and Cunard Line Limited ceased to exist in 2004. Although Carnival corporation had owned the Cunard brand for many years, we had always been a luxury brand that was run autonomously as a true five star experience. The Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria have become yet another member of the Princess fleet. The Queen Elizabeth 2 was sold to the lowest bidder and now sits rotting in Dubai. None of the loyal employees from Miami or New York were retained. Our replacements in Valencia received approximately 65% of our pay. The staff that I have kept in touch with on-board the ships have been dismayed at what has happened. As the guest experience declined so did the prices for the cabins. A Cunard cabin can now be had for less than a Royal Caribbean cruise. A Celebrity or NCL cruise now has better food than Cunard.

As as worker in the twenty first century I understand that at times we may have to ask "Who moved our cheese"? To keep us on our toes we understand that 'moving our cheese', at times creates a better employee and a stronger work force The problem arises when the Camembert is replaced with process cheese spread. In the end it's just business and in the end a customer can always choose to spend their hard earned money somewhere else.

3rd Officer

I worked at Cunard Line full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tax back, interesting ports, good social life, access to passenger facilities, well managed by hq, varied work and good team spirit.

Cons

Excessive paperwork, comparatively low salary and annual leave working 3 months on 6 weeks off, continuous watchkeeping with only a couple of hours to experience the places you travel to and when you do you're tired from work so can't enjoy it fully. Away more than you are home but good fun if you're single!

Admin Manager.

Current Employee - Administrative Manager in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Cunard Line as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good Company, great to learn ”
    Pros - Great company to learn, lot's of things to do, increase responsibility with experience
    c/o Capt. Harry George - a really great supportive gentlemen.

Cons

The one thing the I found never wrecking was that one had to pay fees and expenses for processing the application. To claim a full refund when in Southampton UK. While I had been told that was meant to be the companies responsibility.

The company philosophy and motto CUNARD WE ARE ONE is really a wonderful concept.

Admin Manager at Cunard Cruise line.

Current Employee - Administrative Manager in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Cunard Line full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lovely jobs, great company web and mobile device app response. Wired standing orders, remuneration transactions. And then at the end of the day one gets see the world. Full time bases!

Cons

Main problem is at recruitment, one is instructed to foot all their fees, UK Work visa, flight ticket.. handle by various people. Extremely nerve wrecking at one stage one begins to like they are in the middle of being scammed..

Entitlement, tax clearance, all expense covered and refunds and an extremely superb concept CUNARD - WE - ARE - ONE!!.

It was wonderful

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Randfontein South (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Randfontein South (South Africa)

I have been working at Cunard Line as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travelling seeing the world.
    It is very nice

Cons

No off days , we become very tired.

Increas pay every year

Working for Cunard

I worked at Cunard Line as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Queen Mary 2 Queens Grill

Cons

To many crossings and no time to visit destinations.

Amaizing company to work for, great experience and knowledge!

Former Employee - Waitress
    Former Employee - Waitress

I worked at Cunard Line full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is one of the best companies to work for and to receive experience upto high standarts. Good opportunities for career!

Cons

it can be fun but it can be really hard job too!