www.cunninghamhome.org

Updated July 8, 2014
Updated July 8, 2014
2.6

Marlin Livingston

Provides much-needed support to kids in need

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Does good work with kids in need, opportunites to get outside on the big campus, time off benefits are good, casual dress code, good newsletter to keep everyone connected, good reputation state-wide for working with challenging cases

Cons

Lots of communication via e-mail, so keeping up can be challenging. Any non-profit relying on the state of Illinois for funding is going to experience concerns keeping up with all of the needs of kids and staff.

Communicate as much and as often as possible so everyone knows what is going on.

While it was a truly rewarding experience, I would never work there again...not for any amount of money.

I worked at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Getting to work with young people with trauma histories, mental illnesses, and behavioral issues takes a special kind of person and I am happy to say that I had the privilege of working with many individuals who not only did this, but did it with an incredible amount of patience, love, and endurance. There are direct care staff that are extrodinary people and who I truly do believe make a difference in the lives of the clients. I have personally had the privilege of staying in contact with former clients and have been able to rejoice in their accomplishments and look forward to hearing about future accomplishments for years to come.

Cons

Other than what I listed above, I would consider everything else a con. Cunningham's leadership is sorely lacking and the administration does not care about the employees. They sit up on their hill looking down on their employees and are constantly looking to find fault and place blame on the hard-working men and women who are LITERALLY giving their blood, sweat, and tears to help the clients. It is a very dangerous environment to work in and I saw many injuries occur during my tenure there. I saw employees personal vehicles get destroyed and as if that wasn't enough, the agency does not pay to repair vehicles or personal property that is destroyed by clients. I have never worked in an environment where I felt like I was walking on eggshells for over 6 years. I took great pride in the work I did with the clients, but sadly I was one of the many great staff (yes I do believe I was great at what I did) who was terminated for asinine reasons. I feel that I knew that day was inevitable and it did eventually happen. It was one of the most traumatizing experiences of my life to be yet another person who walked out of my clients' lives without saying goodbye. For an agency who claims to put "children's needs first," they sure don't practice what they preach. I know of many truly amazing staff members who have been terminated for doing the right thing. Cunningham is notorious for hiding things from the public, including the destruction clients make to surrounding businesses, staff members who have abused clients, staff members who are functional alcoholics, etc. It always amazed me how the worst employees seemed to always remain intact while the amazing staff were let go. I will never understand how the administration here sleeps at night. They should be ashamed of themselves and for their terrible management. Sadly, they are not and the corruption at this agency will continue to go on.

You should all fire yourselves. There is no redemption for the terrible treatment of your employees. Cunningham deserves a fresh start that does not involve any of you.

Not worth it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are able to work with kids, your fellow co-workers become true friends. There are days when you know you are making a difference.

Cons

Management doesn't care about the staff. I have seen a number of excellent staff who have wprked at CCH 5+years leave this past year. CCH doesn't care about staff or kids. Really money focused. I've seen management cover up incidents that may be "embarrassing" for the agency which goes against their core values. The higher ups target staff if they do report an incident. A lot of injuries due to the population I work with, and the management blames the staff. Not enough staff, they want you to work on your days off. Then over loaded on paperwork.

Do something. If you say you have core values follow them. If you say your affiliated with the Methodist Church then act like it. People and staff know you have done former staff members wrong for reporting inappropriate things. Everyone knows a certain coordinator was run out after reporting an incident. There is no accountability for management.

Horrible experience

I worked at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with amazing kids. The work being done there is challenging but important.

Cons

Constant staff turnover, all areas are understaffed, unrealistic demands placed on employees, poor communication, benefits being reduced, low employee morale all around, management's lack of concern for employee safety and satisfaction.

You need to support employees better and have realistic expectations, especially given the understaffing in all areas. Employees usually only hear about what they are doing wrong instead of positive feedback. For people who work so hard to provide positive feedback to the kids, you need to follow through on the same for your employees. It's a shame given what a blessing Cunningham has been for the kids and what a positive place it could be to work if management was changed.

A very rewarding experience, working to help children change their lives.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mission focused human service agency, working with children that have experienced severe neglect and trauma in their lives. Each day is unique, with it's own challenges and rewards.

Cons

The youth we serve have very high needs, it's not so much a con, but something to be aware of. It takes the right person to work in direct care. Know yourself before you can be of service to our kids.

A great experience, working with amazingly resilient children and teenagers.

Former Employee - Intern in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Urbana, IL

I worked at Cunningham Children's Home as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the staff was very committed to helping the children and teenage clients. The staff came together as a team and most of the units flowed well because of the high structure within each unit.

Cons

Some of the staff members did not try their hardest and really seemed to slack off as long as no one was watching them. This caused other staff and interns to become overworked at times.

Keep a closer eye on employees that don't actually try their hardest.

Constant turnover

Former Employee - Day Counselor in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Day Counselor in Urbana, IL

I worked at Cunningham Children's Home full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The different people and cultures you will experience. The relationships you build with some of your co-workers and some clients.

Cons

Injuries are common place for direct care employees. Management claim to care at orientation but no real support for the direct care staff. Extremely stressful workplace. Staff expectations change on a regular basis. Poor communication. Very low moral of direct care staff. Very money focused for a non-profit. Unrealistic expectations in numbers of notes for documentation of interventions provided.

Value your direct care employees. Show the moral support you promise and acknowledge the positives of your staff instead of always looking for the negatives. Provide more stability.

Cunningham Children's Home Photos