Cuny Research Foundation Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

3.4

Cuny Research Foundation President Richard F. Rothbard
Richard F. Rothbard

Pros
  • flexible schedule depending on department (in 5 reviews)

• Decent pay, flexible work hours, great learning opportunity (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • a lot of student workers only part-time so they don't have to pay out benefits (in 2 reviews)

• Customer constantly yelling about politics and policies that make no sense (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

It was great! I loved working for RF CUNY!

Former Employee - 311 CUNY  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - 311 CUNY in New York, NY

I worked at Cuny Research Foundation part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked for them part-time but it felt like full time because of the great benefits they offered. Vacation, sick time and maternity or disability leave.

Cons

I really can't think of any. It was the best 3 years of my working career. Keep in mind i'm only 23 though.

Good Place to gain experience

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation

Pros

Great environment especially with the new management

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement

an agent for students

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

it gives opportunities to student to do internship. you may build experience

Cons

low salaries. not for every student, cause there is not many positions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good!

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation

Pros

Wonderful life training for the workers

Cons

The benefits and pay were not so wonderful

Better life training

easy job

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation

Pros

the job is pretty easy overall

Cons

there is nothing much to learn

Normal

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is flexibility because you can work from home. You will receive 18/hour at least because you are a graduate student. There is no office, you will most likely see your boss every six months.

Cons

You have to be able to stick to a project once you start it. Also, you may want to consider a full time job as a research assistant somewhere else as you would most likely make more money. This is more if you are going to school and do not have that much time to spare to work.

A good place to enter into the workforce

Current Employee - Supplemental Instruction Leader  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Supplemental Instruction Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Job is not very demanding.

Cons

No support if you look to progress within the organization.

Advancement support for lover levels of organization

A slightly confusing company to work for.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

So, to begin, it's important to understand that RFCUNY is the parent organization of a bunch of smaller offices throughout the CUNY system that do independent research. My center, for example, is located in midtown, not Time Square like the central office. Personally, I take issue with the way MY center is run, but that has NOTHING to do with RFCUNY, so this review is ONLY for the interaction's I've had with the RFCUNY central office staff.
    That being said, time off policies seem fair enough and the central office staff is very understanding of employee's needs - whether it's offering help to students doing research under the umbrella, or a parent who needs time off for various things. Most of the RFCUNY research is well received, so it looks good on a resume - and for professionals who work here they really can build a career off of it. I truly appreciate that they DO allow the various offices to hire students, and - from what I can tell - they don't restrict what a person can be paid. My center, for example, lives off of federal-level research grants and donations from folks who want to support our work. Personally, I don't get paid well, but many of our full-time employees are paid very well to continue to do the good work that they do.

Cons

Conversely, however, this also means that some people from other centers/offices/institutes/etc. do not get paid well to do their work This is an unfortunate side effect of allowing your subsidiaries to essentially self manage. I kinda view RFCUNY's main office as the people who sign the checks and periodically give us a nicer room on TS to have a meeting at. The rooms we've used at the central office are really nice... beyond that, and some rules and regulation stuff, though, RFCUNY doesn't actually DO that much (that I am aware of).

This is really hard to do, given what I've discussed above. What I would suggest: find a better pay system. Whatever it is that we use to enter our hours is just stupid...

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Grant Administrator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Grant Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, great managers, great benefits, incredible life-work balance, very little overtime.

Cons

Very little room to advance in such a small branch office.

Top heavy despite being such a small office. Very little communication with bottom 75 percent of the office.

Awesome organization to work for.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Cuny Research Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are great and generous and you have some opportunities to move upward. You can always apply for another job within the organization and you could also see some of the other campuses. The people are also great.

Cons

The only con is that the grant you receive may run out and that you don't really interact with the Research Foundation all that much.

I think you might connect more with your employees in addition to the managers where you are placed. Sometimes they don't know your rights and might steer you wrong.

Worked for Cuny Research Foundation? Contribute to the Community!