Currys

www.currys.co.uk

Currys Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Sebastian James

Decent but could do with improvements

Sales Advisor (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsColleagues were great. Glad to help customers with their purchases. A great student job with plenty of flexibility in terms of hours. Pay is ok for a retail job. Store discount and other benefits are a plus.

ConsStaff are encouraged to be dishonest which I hated. I did not appreciate being told to omit things or lie to a customer to get more extras on a sale. Also, it seemed virtually impossible to consider moving up to team leader or manager as specialist training that was promised to me would have probably taken another 50 years to get sorted.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers put way too much pressure with the repetitive pushing of sales targets. The staff already know that they should upsell each sale to get whatever extras they can on the items so there's no point hammering it into their skulls. Give them a chance, not every sale can be a massive one.

5 years employed, Started out fine, but eventually went rapidly downhill

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsYou make good friends quickly.

Dealing with customers face to face can increase confidence.

ConsCurrys is obsessed with insurance (Whatever Happens) and extras, fair enough this is what makes the most profit, but so does making a high amount of overall sales.

You are constantly harassed to sell the Whatever Happens insurance, which is maybe necessary for some products (PCs & Laptops), but not really for others, (TV's, which hardly ever come back faulty).

In addition to this, you are constantly harassed to sell overpriced extras, for example, "high end" HDMI cables for TV's, which are mostly completely unnecessary for the customer, so you are forced to outright lie about their effectiveness.

The biggest problem by far is that the company now works on a nonsensical points system, where you have to hit a certain amount every month to avoid being given a warning (called "Capability Process"), which is basically a three strikes, you're out system, this leads to staff avoiding customers as they don't want to risk their points total being hurt, which will obviously damage sales for the store, example, someone could sell £10,000 worth of product in a month, but be below points total and get warned, but someone who sold £2,000, but they had above borderline points, will not get warned.

Pay is terrible in proportion for work done, staff are constantly being pushed for the above reasons, but the pay rarely goes up far beyond minimum wage, and you are constantly told about bonuses for high sales, but they rarely ever materialize, a few years ago, another staff member and myself sold 50 insurance deals between us in a month, the two highest in the store, but between us we got something like £40 bonus that month, and this was before the points system was even introduced.

Advancement opportunities are on occasion given to undeserving members of staff, or promotions are given that make no sense, once in my store, a cashier with no prior sales experience was given a promotion to Sales Team Leader, despite there being many other viable candidates.

Also, in terms of training, staff are often forced to travel large distances to another store for said training, instead of bringing the trainer themselves to each store, as the company they has to pay travel costs for the staff travelling, so the company likely ends up paying more.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting so much pressure on staff to sell extras.

Reward high overall money taken, not just extras.

Stop forcing staff to lie in order to get said extras.

Promote staff who are deserving and in a department that makes sense.

Don't outright lie about potential bonuses.

Increase the pay grade for Sales staff, as they are the ones doing the work.

Become aware of your own companies reputation, and adjust attitude towards customers, don't insult their intelligence.

very untrustworthy.

Sales (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

Prosmeet some great people. nothing else really. The old style managers were the best.

Consalso some people will stab you in the back to get where they want. :-( I worked for this company for 10 years as the managers who will understand this they succeeded "worked me out of the business" . They changed my location of work without my consent, knowing i could not afford £250 extra per month travel cost ,without any redundancy was a case of move or ship out!

Advice to Senior Managementstart selling customers what they really want and stop coaching people to do dodgy deals.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Currys life!

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee) Bedford, England (UK)

ProsThe company was always very flexible, with days off and holiday etc. Learnt an awful lot which I've now been able to use elsewhere. You'll have great fun, and the training is superb with ongoing coaching as you progress.

ConsUnless you're store management (GM or above) the pay is awful, it'll be hard work and customers will threaten you and swear at you and they'll still expect you to smile it off. But you'll learn a load and have great fun doing it!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to pay store colleagues better, as a personal example you spent a lot of time and money training me (and others) yet the pay didn't reflect what I did. As a 3rd in charge of a very large store I was on £16,000 before tax, which isn't sufficient for someone to have a career.

"They are so focused on care plans & services and high over priced high margin add-ons with pushy mangers to succeed".

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) High Wycombe, England (UK)

ProsYou will meet some good colleges maybe even make friends to help through the battle of each day of meeting your massive amounts of sales targets you will also learn of technical aspects of computers and software sales marketing strategies finance & leasing options within there rigid NLP Training program.

ConsThe company reputation is very bad, low pay for what expectations are wanted from colleagues on a monthly basis, no commission.
    Ridged vague sales & training modules which are supposed to give you a chance of improvement in your development & increase wages which could take years to move up the ladder on completion.To much focus on over priced what ever happens care plan( 80% profit) & services with add-ons included which people do not want or need, Unfortunately its NUMBERS & THE HARD SELL so watch out customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangers Need to advice senior management that the staff are getting suffocated with to many targets & numbers wages are less than people just stacking shelves in a supermarket because of this store staff morale is extremely low currys pcworld would be a better place to shop and work.

People good, management not so & difficult to move upwards

Sales Assistant/Technician/All Rounder (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe people you work with are really good, I managed to work in 4 different branches whilst working at one due to refurbishments in other stores and the people i met i will never forget (some managers too for good and bad reasons)

ConsNo scope for progression, worked in a "big store" and you had 4 of the same managers for different depts. so trying to move into such a position was a nono, trying to move departments, lets just say took me 6months to move from one to another.

oh and you must be flexible, I used to get a call a day before or same day to come in...which was ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though business is all about customers, respect and look after staff as well, happy staff = happy customers.

Good Student Work - Some people stay forever

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

Prosfriendly, easy work, good hours, work

Conslow pay, forced to sell insurance

They were an overall good company to work for

ProsGood staff members to work with, good pay , a good job if you enjoy talking to people

Consmanagers can sometimes get on your back if you're not selling enough insurence

Long

ProsGreat people to work with, low stress.

ConsNot enough challenge then suddenly CHALLENGE. Rewards aren't what they could be.

Nice place to work.

ProsVery easy to increase salary and progress.
    Nice colleagues usually.
    Great training with manufacturers
    Great flexibility
    Not overly pushy on targets, but they are expected.

ConsPay could be better, pay will only increase yearly, not when training has been achieved.
    Annoying customers at times but that's retail.
    Many targets, can be hard especially over Christmas.
    Expected to work Boxing Day and New Years Day
    Often leave the store late

Worked for Currys? Contribute to the Community!