Currys Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.4

Sebastian James

average

Current Employee - Sales in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training pay rise
    department sales
    work life balance
    discounts
    bonus

Cons

targets care plan
    number game
    parks
    career
    little bonus

dont panic

I dont miss it, at all.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Essex, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Essex, MD

I worked at Currys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Working w/ great people (luckily, my managers were good)

2. Training

3. Product knowledge

4. Great part time job for young people.

5. If retail is your career, great experience.

Cons

1. The pay was embarrassing & biased. (If you didn't sell TVs or Laptops, forget getting a decent bonus.

2. Bonus system foolish. (If the store doesnt do well, regardless of how well youre doing, forget decent bonus)

3. Forget being noticed for being a great salesman.

4. Progression is little to none.

5. Greatly understaffed, so more responsibility & targets are placed on the staff but the pay stays the same. :/

6. Its a huge numbers game & will eventually start eating away at your morals & conscience, if you have any.

7. Slowly & quietly sucks away your joy & dreams.

1. Acknowledge & Reward those that do well; not just with silly certificates but actual tangible things.

2. Hire enough staff.

3. Pay well then maybe you'll have people that are proud to work for you.

Every morning I thank god I no longer work there

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Currys part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the sales team

Cons

The management team made me feel like my life was not worth living during each and every shift

Say yes to training and stop treating staff like they are .....
    The management team are not gods! try and treat people with respect and they might respect you back

Management, Progression and general work life is sub-par.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Currys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the store which I worked at the only good aspect was the colleagues I worked with.

Cons

-The whole work life is terrible, the staff room in my particular store was disgusting.
    - They make you lie to customers to get extras on products
    - The whole points system is flawed
    - The people who make the most money for the company tend to be hidden due to points system

I seen good colleagues leave due to progression issues, the CEO needs to consider graduate and apprenticeship schemes to stay competitive. Well trained staff will leave due to terrible progression routes.

It wasinteresting

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Currys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do tend to have the managment a bit to regimental

Cons

Getting paid correctly was a headache

No comment

Decent but could do with improvements

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Currys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Colleagues were great. Glad to help customers with their purchases. A great student job with plenty of flexibility in terms of hours. Pay is ok for a retail job. Store discount and other benefits are a plus.

Cons

Staff are encouraged to be dishonest which I hated. I did not appreciate being told to omit things or lie to a customer to get more extras on a sale. Also, it seemed virtually impossible to consider moving up to team leader or manager as specialist training that was promised to me would have probably taken another 50 years to get sorted.

Managers put way too much pressure with the repetitive pushing of sales targets. The staff already know that they should upsell each sale to get whatever extras they can on the items so there's no point hammering it into their skulls. Give them a chance, not every sale can be a massive one.

Worse pay for more targets!

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Currys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with made going to work bearable

Cons

The company continues to treat staff badly by increasing targets and expecting more from their employees without reflecting this in the wage that is paid. every year they change their bonus structure and in doing so make it more difficult for employees to achieve. Morale is very low in stores and every sale you make is criticized if you haven't sold all the add ons as well as the product. There are no opportunities for progression either which means experience is rewarded with people being given additional, but unofficial, responsibilities without any further remuneration.

Treat your staff well....the work is very emotionally stressful and you do everything you can not to pay staff more. There should be better routes to progression too, although this may be a bigger issue in some regions than others, in the region I worked in you lost A LOT of very good staff because of poor pay and poor progression routes.

I have seen so many great sales people leave this company because of poor manangement

Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Chester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Colleague in Chester, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is great and you meet a lot of great people, who unfortunately do not stay there long..

Cons

Those who do stay there long are generally who have learned to cheat their figures or stab others in the back to be "consistently good". I have seen so many great people treated horribly by the managers it is ridiculous. Chief exec has no idea that even the day he released his letter to everyone to ease off hard sales not much has changed in actual stores. People in this company are on much lower pay than many similar type sales colleagues plus not even on commission while expected to drive hard sales despite customers experience (ex. car-phone warehouse, who is now part of the same company : their colleagues are starting off higher and actually get commission). Awful atmosphere in shops because of that.

Some respect to colleagues and equal opportunities is what this company is lacking

5 years employed, Started out fine, but eventually went rapidly downhill

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Currys part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You make good friends quickly.

Dealing with customers face to face can increase confidence.

Cons

Currys is obsessed with insurance (Whatever Happens) and extras, fair enough this is what makes the most profit, but so does making a high amount of overall sales.

You are constantly harassed to sell the Whatever Happens insurance, which is maybe necessary for some products (PCs & Laptops), but not really for others, (TV's, which hardly ever come back faulty).

In addition to this, you are constantly harassed to sell overpriced extras, for example, "high end" HDMI cables for TV's, which are mostly completely unnecessary for the customer, so you are forced to outright lie about their effectiveness.

The biggest problem by far is that the company now works on a nonsensical points system, where you have to hit a certain amount every month to avoid being given a warning (called "Capability Process"), which is basically a three strikes, you're out system, this leads to staff avoiding customers as they don't want to risk their points total being hurt, which will obviously damage sales for the store, example, someone could sell £10,000 worth of product in a month, but be below points total and get warned, but someone who sold £2,000, but they had above borderline points, will not get warned.

Pay is terrible in proportion for work done, staff are constantly being pushed for the above reasons, but the pay rarely goes up far beyond minimum wage, and you are constantly told about bonuses for high sales, but they rarely ever materialize, a few years ago, another staff member and myself sold 50 insurance deals between us in a month, the two highest in the store, but between us we got something like £40 bonus that month, and this was before the points system was even introduced.

Advancement opportunities are on occasion given to undeserving members of staff, or promotions are given that make no sense, once in my store, a cashier with no prior sales experience was given a promotion to Sales Team Leader, despite there being many other viable candidates.

Also, in terms of training, staff are often forced to travel large distances to another store for said training, instead of bringing the trainer themselves to each store, as the company they has to pay travel costs for the staff travelling, so the company likely ends up paying more.

Stop putting so much pressure on staff to sell extras.

Reward high overall money taken, not just extras.

Stop forcing staff to lie in order to get said extras.

Promote staff who are deserving and in a department that makes sense.

Don't outright lie about potential bonuses.

Increase the pay grade for Sales staff, as they are the ones doing the work.

Become aware of your own companies reputation, and adjust attitude towards customers, don't insult their intelligence.

very untrustworthy.

Current Employee - Sales in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Currys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

meet some great people. nothing else really. The old style managers were the best.

Cons

also some people will stab you in the back to get where they want. :-( I worked for this company for 10 years as the managers who will understand this they succeeded "worked me out of the business" . They changed my location of work without my consent, knowing i could not afford £250 extra per month travel cost ,without any redundancy was a case of move or ship out!

start selling customers what they really want and stop coaching people to do dodgy deals.

Currys Photos