Curse.com Reviews

3.6

Hubert Thieblot

The Dream Job

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

Everything here is great! The people, culture, and the company itself. I walk in the office every morning thinking about tackling new challenges for the company. Most of my co-workers have been very friendly and engaging. Everyone is around the same age group - this is a young professional group that plays hard and works harder than any other organization I know. I really enjoy the establishment here.

Cons

Some people don't fit the company culture, thus it is very difficult to communicate with them when we work together. Although technical skills are important, individual outlooks and attitude towards work and peers should be weighed just as equally. There are clear differences in work-life attitudes amongst the new hires.

Hi-tech web development in a cool atmosphere

I have been working at Curse.com full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and master technical skills

Faced paced environment

Lunch time gaming allowed and seen pretty regularly

Everyone in the company is passionate about Curse and the gaming industry.

In the past, the company has been undermanned and required MUCH more than a 40 hour week, but things have progressed and become more balanced.

Cons

Benefits are comparable to area, but the work environment and perks are bought with a salary slightly less than work in government or financial sector.

You must be an excellent multi-tasker to thrive at Curse.

Really good perks and they treat employees really good

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Curse.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of perks you receive as being an employee. If you're a gamer there are always free games to be had, but also there are free lunches, good 401k, healthcare, and some good traveling opportunities.

Cons

I think the company was lacking a bit in direction and was frustrated that it wasn't growing fast enough. I have friends that still work for the company and it does sound like they have fixed some of that, but I'm just speaking about when I was there. On my team specifically some of the goals were really high.

Find something that will work, identify a good path and stick to it.

PC gamers love the company, but it doesn't mean the company is run well

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Curse.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there was a passion among employees about the PC gaming industry. People definitely could sit for hours and days talking about their favorite games, characters, etc. The atmosphere definitely promoted gaming with lunch time matches and travels to tournaments. Definitely a gamer's heaven

Cons

Mgmt is terrible. They are all very young and inexperienced. They seemed to be more concerned with promoting parties and events than establishing overall business strategies. CEO is a nice guy who is being taken advantage of by some inexperienced Vice presidents who spend exorbitant amounts on travel and expenses while causing their subordinates to quit right and left. Also, let's just say I wouldn't want to be female working at this company. No female execs and definitely a lot of "Bro talk" towards women.

learn from those who are smarter than you. lose the arrogance

Only the desperate come here

Current Employee - Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Curse.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office in the downtown area, one of the few web companies in Huntsville, employees generally have a decent knowledge of their jobs and enthusiasm for gaming. If you're a young white male and consider yourself a gamer and a drinker, you'll probably fit in here. They were originally a promising company enjoying success from a fresh idea.

Cons

The outlook for Curse is NOT good. They moved headquarters to a cheaper location to try to keep things going, but this hurt long-time employees and I don't know if the boost from this can counter the mismanagement.

First of all, they've been hiring a cheaper workforce based on low standards (like "guys who enjoy video games and never had a real job before"), and they have a turn-over of talented people. They need more employees for all the little things the clueless management want, but instead they keep piling more on the workforce who are doing things like getting drunk at work or taking time off to play games. What was that about "work hard and play hard?"

If the interviewing experience for most employees is as bad as mine, it's no wonder that they scare talented people off. I've only stuck with them because I'd rather not move again and I hoped things might turn around, but they haven't and the truth is I can make more money elsewhere and work at place that is both professional and "cool."

The benefits that they claim are near-useless. California insurance for a company based in Alabama? All the junk food my co-workers can eat! Bet they wish they had an in-state health plan. I wish that wasn't coming out of my paycheck. You're "family oriented?" Guess that's why 80% of your workforce are forever-alone young men. Curse is "like family?" For the people who got unneeded positions because of who they're related to, I guess this is true. They "only hire the best?" Not for management, apparently!

This company makes me feel like I'm part of the late 90s dot com bubble, and I know how it's going to end. We can't survive indefinitely from putting mediocre work into websites and content, and we're just plain lucky to not be sued over some of the things that have happened.

Get rid of incompetent management and hire experienced people who know how to lead and take care of an ambitious and intelligent workforce. You're not going to get talented people to your sinking ship by offering free Mountain Dew and a frat house atmosphere. Cut part of your marketing team loose, because it's a joke.

Inexperienced management and executive staff. Very little recognition to their employees that work hard.

I worked at Curse.com full-time

Pros

Good start-up experience. Co-workers were great to work with and always made work fun when times were not so good.

Cons

Upper management does not run the company very smart or strategically. Very inexperienced in running a business and keeping employees happy, which led to high turnover of employees.

Great company with a questionable future

I have been working at Curse.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone who works here is amazingly intelligent and passionate about their jobs and about gaming

Cons

The management is totally disconnected with the employees. People have to go directly to them to get any kind of information and often times even they dont know whats going on.
    A lot of people have left in the last 6 months and the management hasn't dont much to make the remaining people feel secure.

Start talking. Tell people good things and start telling them whats going on. Make them feel happy to work here. Start communicating every day with the employees because they wont be here forever.

Regressing Company

I worked at Curse.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to work alongside every day. My peers were my primary source of fulfillment, they were talented and passionate which made you want to push yourself to become better and better.

Cons

Changes in senior management dramatically shifted the culture of the company. Curse used to enjoy a tight connection between all employees from the highest level to the lowest, there is now a huge disconnect between the two. There has been a tremendous spike in employee turnover, some cases where almost entire departments left. The integrity and respect of some positions were becoming overlooked making it difficult to produce a meaningful contribution and advance within the company.

The first half of my time with Curse would have easily been a five star review, the latter half was so toxic it made me drop it to two stars. Take a moment to look back at Curse's past and what made it so great, there is a reason old and new employees are leaving on a consistent basis when in the past this was rarely the case. Curse was and still could be an amazing company that I honestly hope succeeds.

Fun work, pay could be better

I have been working at Curse.com part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, interesting and fun work, reasonably flexible with personal time.

Cons

Pay isn't on par with similar companies and some of the senior management is not great. Priorities seem unbalanced, with a lot of effort going in to small impact projects.

At Curse, we work hard and play hard

I have been working at Curse.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone has a no-bs attitude and we get things done. If you're doing your job, you will be a part of the Curse family. If not, it's see ya later!

Cons

Some management issues have arisen due to crunch timelines and product deployments