Curtis 1000

25 Years with Curtis 1000

Current Employee - Sales Support Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Support Manager

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people to work with, good benefit package, family type atmosphere, hard work is recogonized and awarded. Great company / opportunity for a long sales career.

Cons

As with any sales career, keeping a good work / life balance can at times be challenging.

Continue to listen and ask employees for their suggestions.

Great Company for Career Driven Individuals and Growth

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Curtis 1000 is a part of the Taylor Corporation family, which is private and cash only Corporation and has continued to be able to weather the economic storm.
    -There are many employees who have been with the company their entire careers. I can understand why, the people are amazing.
    -Curtis 1000 is very customer-centric and you get to interact with a lot of different people in different industries and areas.
    - There is such breadth and depth of products and services, you really learn a lot. I've become a subject matter expert on certain offerings and industries over the years which helped me grow inside and outside of the company.
    -There is a family type atmosphere, and from what I understand, this has been evident since 1882 when Curtis 1000 was first established. I've made some close friends here and get along great with just about everybody.
    -Many of the upper management have been with the company for several years, and some, including our CEO, Steve Geiger, worked their way up the corporate ladder and have stayed loyal to Curtis 1000. It's clear that those with strong work ethic and comply with the core values grow within the Curtis 1000 and Taylor because there are a lot of very hard working managers and employees.
    -The managers I have had so far are very supportive and act as mentors to those of us trying to grow within the company.
    -There is also a healthy work/home balance, as long as you know how to manage your time properly.
    -The benefits are pretty good. Full-time employees get a full suite of private health insurance options and vacation time.
     -Taylor offers a scholarship program to current employees.
    -There is never a dull moment. I learn something new everyday, and I really enjoy the fact that it's not a monotonous 9-5 job.
    -There is flexibilty in the office work environment based on individual needs.
    -Travel opportunities.

Cons

-The print industry is not the most stable, but as I mentioned above, Taylor and Curtis 1000 continue to prevail because of fiscal responsibility and smart business decisions.
    -There is a lot of resistance to change, mostly by employees. With the long life of their career, there are different strategies and services being sold than there were when they came on board, so it's part of the shift happening to adapt to the changes in the print industry.
    -Communication is challenging not only within Curtis 1000, but also within Taylor and sister companies, so this is something everyone continues to work on and is something I expect in a corporate environment when you're combining new and old mentalities, with different geographical locations as well as demographics.
    -Some financial decisions over the years impacted positions, pay and benefits, but these were symptoms of external factors such as the economy and industry we're in and are consistent with what other businesses out there have done to stay healthy.

Keep the communication open Taylor wide, and continue to look at ways we can adapt to the new direct marketing world, no matter how much resistence to change is received from existing employees and managers. Continue to invest in the technological tools needed for us to expand and manage our customer's needs. Also, do your best to keep the family feel in the core values. It's very important to employees that the environment remain safe and warm.

Good Sales Career job

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good company with strong training resources and marketing to support my efforts--far better than what I have seen elsewhere in the industry.

Fair compensation--salary plus variable. I can earn as much as I work and succeed.

Small company--management team seems to care, and most are really supportive in my efforts.

Not just the old printing company--lots of new systems front ends that help set us apart

Cons

More CS staff would be helpful--the people are great, but could use some more to reduce their workload.

Competitive industry--need to sell value of services, or I get caught in the lowest price game. That is probably the case in any industry, though.

I am virtual officed--communication to the field can be cumbersome and needs to be more frequent.

Keep working to differentiate the services we bring to keep us out of the commodity print game.

More assistance in helping identify and land large accounts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Current Employee - EBusiness  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - EBusiness in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is well run and has weathered tough years and printing industry shifts impacted by the economy and the ever-changing technology landscape. Management has had to make tough decisions, and it is appreciated that the management team is willing to make those tough decisions to sustain the company in challenging times. The environment is healthy and professional. Most employees have been with the company for many years. Many employees have been at the company 10, 20, 30+ years.

The management team is focused on the right investments for growth and investments are evident in Operations, Technology, and our people. Technology and systems investments focus on customer needs and providing a competitive edge. Operational investments are focused on growth and development areas. Opportunities for growth and training are available for employees.

The company has been in business for over 130 years and continues to strategically invest for the future.

This is a great company to work for and great people to work with.

Cons

Continued focus on new markets and growth areas for improved margins and revenue growth are a must. It's a tough time for the printing industry.

Changes made in the past year are working. Continue to make positive changes and investments in marketing and technology.

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Duluth, GA

I worked at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, great work/ life balance, small company with opportunity to have impact.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive, long term vision is somewhat elusive, lack of synergy across the business units.

May be time to bring in some fresh minds with forward thinking and vision. Step outside of your comfort zone and embrace change. The landscape has changed and the horizon is almost out of site. Act now!

Typical cold calling high commission job. Good company culture throughout

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good base salary during training and extending into first half of your career.
    Available help from other sales reps

Cons

Lots of cold calling
    Printing industry is slowly going away

I would encourage the district managers to help young reps more in the beginning of their career.

Honest Company

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros - Curtis 1000 has been in business for over 130 years. This an honest company that gives customers a fair deal and often times customizes processes to meet customer's needs. There are many customer advocates within the company and everyone seeks to put the customer first.

Curtis 1000 has a large parent organization which provides financial stability and opportunity for shared sales.

The benefits are on par with industry standards.

Cons

Margins can be low in the competitive and mature print industry. There is more work than people to do it often times. But most companies face this situation. Curtis can sometimes struggle with how to prioritize the work backlog.

Keep working puzzle for finding new sources of revenue and aligning the sales organization to better service customers.

Extreme micromanagement - flushing the company down the toilet one detail at a time. Focus on the wrong things.

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good location, okay benefits, some good people

Cons

Micromanagement, low salaries, low employee morale, management is not listening to employees. Teamwork is not good due to the control of management. Most employees are unhappy.

Focus on what is important instead of petty details. Treat employees with respect.

Operationally Inadequate and Poorly Lead Company

Current Employee - Vice President of Client Programs  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Client Programs in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Although the company's benefits were drastically reduced once we were purchased by Taylor Corporation, they are still overall fairly competitive. The ability to carry-over vacation time from year to year is especially nice.

Cons

Operationally the organization has struggled to meet their client's expectations which has lead to several years of unfavorable financial returns. Since our pricing is extremely high, our order turn times extremely long and our customer experience adequate at the very best, we do not offer much value in the market place. Senior Management keeps operations under staffed so we often over promise and under deliver, especially when on-boarding large, new clients. Sales is constantly under pressure to bring on new customers to replace the clients who are firing us.

Overall, the leadership at Curtis 1000 is pretty weak, starting with the president Steve Geiger. My advice would be for the removal of Steve in favor for a president that has demonstrated the ability to change a company's internal culture at the same time he communications a vision to improve the customer experience. We need a senior leader who take turn a company around from the worst to best of class

Geiger Has Got to Go

Current Employee - District Sales Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is filled with great people who are both talented and focused on delivering value for our clients. It is unfortunate that the leadership of this company is not able to leverage all this talent and lead us to being more profitable.

Cons

Extremely mismanaged by the current leadership team, especially the President Steve Geiger. The present working environment is very unprofessional and layoffs are a common occurrence. Company morale is very low right now and high employee turnover has started to effect the quality of our services.

There are several openings available right now due to the turnover. Potential employees beware, this is not a great situation to come into with the company continuing to lose money and managers who manage by intimidation. You can no longer say you were not warned.

Curtis 1000 has great potential and is uniquely positioned in the marketplace. With the right leader, this company could once again be an industry leader. The only thing missing is the right president to create a vision for the company and motive the team to meet that vision. The current president will never get us there, it is time for Steve Geiger to go!

Worked for Curtis 1000? Contribute to the Community!