Curtis 1000 Reviews

Steve Geiger

1. Great Company for Career Driven Individuals and Growth

Current Employee - Marketing in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Curtis 1000 is a part of the Taylor Corporation family, which is private and cash only Corporation and has continued to be able to weather the economic storm.
    -There are many employees who have been with the company their entire careers. I can understand why, the people are amazing.
    -Curtis 1000 is very customer-centric and you get to interact with a lot of different people in different industries and areas.
    - There is such breadth and depth of products and services, you really learn a lot. I've become a subject matter expert on certain offerings and industries over the years which helped me grow inside and outside of the company.
    -There is a family type atmosphere, and from what I understand, this has been evident since 1882 when Curtis 1000 was first established. I've made some close friends here and get along great with just about everybody.
    -Many of the upper management have been with the company for several years, and some, including our CEO, Steve Geiger, worked their way up the corporate ladder and have stayed loyal to Curtis 1000. It's clear that those with strong work ethic and comply with the core values grow within the Curtis 1000 and Taylor because there are a lot of very hard working managers and employees.
    -The managers I have had so far are very supportive and act as mentors to those of us trying to grow within the company.
    -There is also a healthy work/home balance, as long as you know how to manage your time properly.
    -The benefits are pretty good. Full-time employees get a full suite of private health insurance options and vacation time.
     -Taylor offers a scholarship program to current employees.
    -There is never a dull moment. I learn something new everyday, and I really enjoy the fact that it's not a monotonous 9-5 job.
    -There is flexibilty in the office work environment based on individual needs.
    -Travel opportunities.

Cons

-The print industry is not the most stable, but as I mentioned above, Taylor and Curtis 1000 continue to prevail because of fiscal responsibility and smart business decisions.
    -There is a lot of resistance to change, mostly by employees. With the long life of their career, there are different strategies and services being sold than there were when they came on board, so it's part of the shift happening to adapt to the changes in the print industry.
    -Communication is challenging not only within Curtis 1000, but also within Taylor and sister companies, so this is something everyone continues to work on and is something I expect in a corporate environment when you're combining new and old mentalities, with different geographical locations as well as demographics.
    -Some financial decisions over the years impacted positions, pay and benefits, but these were symptoms of external factors such as the economy and industry we're in and are consistent with what other businesses out there have done to stay healthy.

Keep the communication open Taylor wide, and continue to look at ways we can adapt to the new direct marketing world, no matter how much resistence to change is received from existing employees and managers. Continue to invest in the technological tools needed for us to expand and manage our customer's needs. Also, do your best to keep the family feel in the core values. It's very important to employees that the environment remain safe and warm.

2. Terrible work environment

I have been working at Curtis 1000

Pros

Okay benefits. Work life balance.

Cons

Extreme Micro management, hostile work environment. Extreme favoritism is openly displayed. Poor leadership. Years of non-profitability.

Replace all upper management.

3. Poor Management is Running This Place to the Ground

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Depending on who you are you may/may not have work live balance.

Cons

Management egos are bigger than their track record of success. Bully micro management, big brother, hostile work environment. Stressful. Threatening. Leadership promotes gossip, toxic relationships, backstabbing, favoritism, lack of vision, stirs up confusion, lack of confidentiality, good old boys atmosphere. No employee training.

It starts at the top. Get a better management team everything else will follow.

5. 25 Years with Curtis 1000

Current Employee - Sales Support Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Support Manager

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, good benefit package, family type atmosphere, hard work is recogonized and awarded. Great company / opportunity for a long sales career.

Cons

As with any sales career, keeping a good work / life balance can at times be challenging.

Continue to listen and ask employees for their suggestions.

6. Great Company

Current Employee - EBusiness in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - EBusiness in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is well run and has weathered tough years and printing industry shifts impacted by the economy and the ever-changing technology landscape. Management has had to make tough decisions, and it is appreciated that the management team is willing to make those tough decisions to sustain the company in challenging times. The environment is healthy and professional. Most employees have been with the company for many years. Many employees have been at the company 10, 20, 30+ years.

The management team is focused on the right investments for growth and investments are evident in Operations, Technology, and our people. Technology and systems investments focus on customer needs and providing a competitive edge. Operational investments are focused on growth and development areas. Opportunities for growth and training are available for employees.

The company has been in business for over 130 years and continues to strategically invest for the future.

This is a great company to work for and great people to work with.

Cons

Continued focus on new markets and growth areas for improved margins and revenue growth are a must. It's a tough time for the printing industry.

Changes made in the past year are working. Continue to make positive changes and investments in marketing and technology.

Good Sales Career job

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good company with strong training resources and marketing to support my efforts--far better than what I have seen elsewhere in the industry.

Fair compensation--salary plus variable. I can earn as much as I work and succeed.

Small company--management team seems to care, and most are really supportive in my efforts.

Not just the old printing company--lots of new systems front ends that help set us apart

Cons

More CS staff would be helpful--the people are great, but could use some more to reduce their workload.

Competitive industry--need to sell value of services, or I get caught in the lowest price game. That is probably the case in any industry, though.

I am virtual officed--communication to the field can be cumbersome and needs to be more frequent.

Keep working to differentiate the services we bring to keep us out of the commodity print game.

More assistance in helping identify and land large accounts.

8. Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Duluth, GA

I worked at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, great work/ life balance, small company with opportunity to have impact.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive, long term vision is somewhat elusive, lack of synergy across the business units.

May be time to bring in some fresh minds with forward thinking and vision. Step outside of your comfort zone and embrace change. The landscape has changed and the horizon is almost out of site. Act now!

9. Typical cold calling high commission job. Good company culture throughout

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good base salary during training and extending into first half of your career.
    Available help from other sales reps

Cons

Lots of cold calling
    Printing industry is slowly going away

I would encourage the district managers to help young reps more in the beginning of their career.

10. To Broken To Be Fixed

Current Employee - Presidents Club Sales Representative in Sierra Madre, CA
    Current Employee - Presidents Club Sales Representative in Sierra Madre, CA

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For me the "pros" are the great memories of working with wonderful people here at Curtis 1000. I've had many successful sales years and have enjoyed personal success including president's club and top sales rep in the company multiple times. The company has started to fail and is not the place it use to be but I will always have these great memories.

Cons

Curtis 1000 was once a great company to work for but that was before the current management team ran us into the ground. Every company goes into slumps and I've been patiently waiting for management to turn us around but I am only now coming to the realization that it is not going to happen. We are too broken to be fixed and we've burned so many client relationship, our reputation in the market place is permanently stained.

We are over priced, our operations under deliver and our current leadership does not have a vision to turn this trend around. It pains me to say this because I consider the president, vp of sales and others as my friends.

This was once a great company to start a sales career with and 10 years ago I would have highly recommend it to anyone. With our reputation tarnished, pricing to high and our inability to service our customers our fate is sealed. I only hope we stay in business a couple more years until I am ready to retire.

Our reputation is so tarnished, not only in California but throughout the country, I think it is time to retire the Curtis 1000 brand. I believe our parent company (Taylor Corp) should combine us with Corporate Graphics (another sister company) rebrand the new organization and re enter the market with brand new leadership in place.

Geiger Has Got to Go

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Curtis 1000 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is filled with great people who are both talented and focused on delivering value for our clients. It is unfortunate that the leadership of this company is not able to leverage all this talent and lead us to being more profitable.

Cons

Extremely mismanaged by the current leadership team, especially the President Steve Geiger. The present working environment is very unprofessional and layoffs are a common occurrence. Company morale is very low right now and high employee turnover has started to effect the quality of our services.

There are several openings available right now due to the turnover. Potential employees beware, this is not a great situation to come into with the company continuing to lose money and managers who manage by intimidation. You can no longer say you were not warned.

Curtis 1000 has great potential and is uniquely positioned in the marketplace. With the right leader, this company could once again be an industry leader. The only thing missing is the right president to create a vision for the company and motive the team to meet that vision. The current president will never get us there, it is time for Steve Geiger to go!

Curtis 1000 Photos