Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
3.3

CEO

privileged to work with some amazing people and Customers

Former Employee - Quality Assurance/Customer Presentation Administrator
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance/Customer Presentation Administrator

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A place that is willing and acknoledges ideas and works to improve the work and quality of the work environment for all. You are able to grow within the company and they also encourage you to grow and accel.

Cons

Losing my job to restructering which was not the companies fault it is just the nature of all businesses because the work ebbs and flows with the financial time.

keep listening to all employees, some will have amazing ideas, some will not but just showing interest has some affect on employees/

Senior HW Design Engineer

Former Employee - Hardware Designer in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Designer in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some nice people. But that is about it. There is a good work/life balance. I am not sure what others think, but I really think that you can find a decent balance between your work and life.

Cons

They are working with really old technology. There was not much challenge at work. There is too much of micro managing happening. The hours are little strict. I was warned few times about being late for half an hour. It is a very unorganized work environment. The peoples are technically in a decent level. But, you will not be surrounded with super smart people, as I used to see in the other places that I had worked. One thing I noticed is that the company cares so much more about its contractors than its direct employees. And another negative side of working there is the System Engineering team. At least on the projects that I worked, system engineers were really not doing much, and they were just waiting to see what HW/SW engineers have on their plates to offer.

Please cut some slack for the engineers. You really don't need to micro manage everything. A good engineer will delivers his assignments even with a higher quality if there is less of micro managing.

Internship for money, not much for else

Former Employee - Software Engineer in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Pay is good
    - Work hours are flexible
    - No pressure on overtime

Cons

- No real training given to interns, which lead to constant reworks and delays
    - High mentor-to-intern ratio (around 1:8)
    - Lack of testing resources (eg. 1 Test/Debug Station for 4~7 people)

- Need to have training sessions for interns. The interns were forced to rely on older interns for questions, and that lead to inconsistent work within the team. A lot of us had to redo the whole work few times due to this.

Not the Worst, Not the Best for Computer Engineers

Former Employee - Engineering
    Former Employee - Engineering

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You certainly gain plenty of experience as an engineer, working on several projects at once. The core group of engineers who have stuck around long-term are mostly a very nice and intelligent group.

Cons

Everything is managed like a start-up. Pay is not competitive. Performance reviews are harsh across the board, seemingly to keep salaries down. The volume of work and level of pressure are unsustainable for most people.

Pay people for the level of work expected instead of giving it all to top management. The good engineers at the bottom learn pretty quickly that they're getting the raw end of the deal, and it destroys morale.

A market leader in FTI with top quality engineering personnel.

Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright Controls Defense Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work atmosphere is relaxed to a point where people are mot monitored continuously and this leads to people taking ownership with a good work ethic. The hours are flexible once the weekly hours add up. There is good opportunity for promotion within the company.

Cons

There is a strong drive from the top with regard to making sure the margins are right for the shareholders which can be good but sometimes it can lead to people being over worked. There seems to be an uneven salary level where people are paid different rates for similar work.

There is room for improvement with giving feedback to workers.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Hardware Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Hardware Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

Excellent design challenges and a lot of troubleshooting. Great colleagues who are willing to help and often friendly to chat with.

Cons

Often pulled in many different directions. Must be able to multitask across different projects and debug efforts.

Don't be afraid to purchase S/W tools or licences if the Engineers say they need them.