Curtiss-Wright Flow Control Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
David J. Linton

1. I worked at Curtiss-Wright for a little over 5 years...

Former Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Flow Control (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Curtiss-Wright for 5 1/2 years right out of college. There are many smart people there, and the work is interesting and challenging. They have an organization that is conducive to career growth as long as you work hard and make it known that you want it. The industry is somewhat stable and since it's not downtown you don't have to pay for parking or worry about wearing a suit every day. There is a fairly decent work-life balance for some people, depending on what project you are working on. Training isn't great but it's better than a lot of places I've been.

Cons

They are behind the times when it comes to employee benefits. No 9/80, no work from home, very strict badge-in, badge-out system with an old fashioned 40+ hour work week expected. I never had an issue working more than 40 hours but the fact that I was never able to work from home or flex my hours was a huge negative. Company was going through a down-cycle so lots of other benefits were cut. We experienced layoffs, furloughs, very small raises, eliminated 401k match. We never had holiday parties, and generally speaking people were not interested in being friends outside of work. I felt extremely underpaid for the amount of work and responsibility I had during my last 2 years there. Many of the people who work there have been there for decades so there is a certain culture that is hard to get used to, almost like middle school with all of the rumors and immaturity. I didn't feel truly valued until I resigned.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more. If you want to keep young people, provide them with more incentive to stay. Benefits go a long way, even the little ones.

2. expect a lot without compensation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Flow Control (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, experienced engineers to learn from

Cons

Long hours expected, benefits removed for cost savings

Advice to Management

Should value young employees more

3. Great Company

Former Employee - Engineer in Brecksville, OH
    Former Employee - Engineer in Brecksville, OH

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Flow Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was my first job out of college. At the time, I took the company culture for granted. This company respects employee's work life balance and makes people feel valued. There are good bonuses, a great Christmas party, retiring employees get recognition by the company. They took the time and effort to train me to be successful in my role. You really get a chance to get hands on training on the product and will get to use a variety of engineering disciplines. People are very friendly with each other and I did not experience much bullying or toxic interactions with management. There was very little turnover, some of my coworkers have been with the company for as long as 40 years!

Cons

There is a lot of red tape and bureaucracy preventing one from improvement to a process or product. Redundant amounts of time were spent on projects only to see a dead end. It would be more stimulating if one could see their changes implemented more often

Advice to Management

Foster a culture of innovation, invest more in R & D rather than maintaining the status quo product.

5. Horrible communication and horrible teamwork.

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Flow Control part-time

Pros

Great place to sit back and coast, you do not have to try hard if you do not want to

Cons

Always behind on work, teamwork between groups is horrible. Poor management poor quality of employees

Advice to Management

None, if you work in management then you are the problem

6. Not a good place to work

Pros

Some of the employees are very personable and have stayed with the company through many mergers and buyouts. They are dedicated employees but have no idea what it's like to work for a company that values it's employees.

Cons

Just about everything unfortunately. Processes are completely broken. The fundamental IT systems don't work so everything is done through work-around which makes it nearly impossible to get work done correctly and efficiently. Management continuously moves under-performing employees around to different departments instead of taking action to make them productive employees and to hold them accountable. Mass layoffs of excellent employees occur regularly.

Advice to Management

An overall of all the management needs to happen. Corporate management should hold senior management accountable to meet goals.

7. Senior Procurement and logistic coordinator

Former Employee - Senior Procurement & Logistic Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Procurement & Logistic Coordinator in Houston, TX

Pros

It is a nice company to work for , the environment is completely professional and friend ship exists..

Cons

They let you present your Ideas as a team work, supervisors care for the employee and help you with any barrier..

Advice to Management

Nothing to advise Mr. Pablo Gonzalez is a leader with a lot of knowledge to motivate, share and teach is you listen to him ..

8. Great people who want to be better

Former Employee - Manufacturing Control in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Control in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Flow Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people Investment in improving systems, processes, and facility Good benefits Excellent distribution channel for selling product

Cons

Little innovation No formal training No flexibility Less vacation time than industry standard

Advice to Management

You have great people and are building on more and more college grads joining. Continue to grow your mentoring program and build a training department. Trust your employees to get jobs done and feel valued. Flex time and incentive programs could really take employee performance to the next level.

9. Challenging. A good place to work where employees strive to go above and beyond to get the job done.

Former Employee - Structural Welder in Newcastle, OK
    Former Employee - Structural Welder in Newcastle, OK

I worked at Curtiss-Wright Flow Control full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get opportunities to learn different jobs within the company.

Cons

Sometimes work slows down You have to find things to do in the shop to keep from standing around like sweeping the shop floors wiping down the tops of weld machines etc.

10. Do not work here!

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Brea, CA

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright Flow Control (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clean facility and it's a safe place to work.

Cons

Micro managing, bad management & too many nepotism.

Advice to Management

Stop lying.

11. A unique facility

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Cheswick, PA
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Cheswick, PA

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright Flow Control full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All products are designed and built within the same facility. There aren't very many places where you see the entire life of a product from design to manufacturing.

Cons

Because of all of the government work done, excessive paperwork is mandatory. The pace of work is drastically affected by the paper associated with each job.

Advice to Management

Offer a hands-on apprenticeship program

RSS Feed </> Embed