Curtiss-Wright

Be The First To
Add Photos

Curtiss-Wright Chairman and CEO Martin R. Benante

Martin R. Benante

Stable work with a great team to back it up.

Inspector (Current Employee)

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMy coworkers are amazing and gel to get product done and out the door in a timely manner.Family friendly company if an emergency occurs at work with kids etc..Worked 4-10hr shifts for 8 years and had 3 days to spend with family or getting errands done.

ConsAdvancement opportunities are limited and unknown.The company changed work schedule to 5-8's after many of us worked 4-10's for years.Tensions have grown due to this change and coworkers are missing at least one day a week to get personal needs taken care of.In turn adding unintentional stress on remaining department team..

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with lower level staff members and learn what they do.Don't rely on "your door being open" expecting them to come to you.. Go to the floor and see 1st hand whats going on and how to improve it.

Not a good company to work for.

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
Brea, CA

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone, I'll tell you when I find one.

ConsMost managers are not qualified to be in the position they are in. As long as you stay close to the director, then you are safe. If you work hard and perform very well you don't belong there and they feel threatened by you. The company does not offer any 401K matching or a pension plan or a bonus at the end. The salary is under market value. You are under a constant thread to ship projects without any regard to anything else. There is no training or let's say training that is worth attending offered by someone who is close to the director is has no idea what he is talking about. The company does not list job openings on their website, but hires from within or their relatives, which shows that the decisions management is making are biased and says that they are not hiring the most qualified people. People cover for each other because they are related. If you are Armenian or ready to brown nose, this is for you, go ahead and join.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not qualified to do what you are doing, step down. Let more qualified people handle it.

Good Place to Work

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright

ProsGrowing by acquisitions and keeping its base

ConsCan be a bit "old school"

Be very careful of what you sign up for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Curtiss-Wright

Pros- Benefits
- Pay was decent

ConsManagement of all levels:
 - They are clueless to what is going on
 - They don't know what each job entails therefore, there is a constant battle of who should be doing what
 - When they can't figure out an issue they fire individuals who took on the issue but weren't fully trained
 - Assign the work of 3-4 people and expect everything done timely even if that means working 80 hour a week
- Micromanaging
- Don't know how to talk to or treat employees
No work life balance, you have to create your own if you want it
Every business unit operates as a silos
Lack of onboard training
Monthly close process takes weeks to complete because there is not clear way of performing tasks
No employee appreciation
Too many politics
No room for growth because even if promoted you're still doing your previous duties
Not enough employees for the work
High turnover
Not a good work environment, profanity is constantly used, talking down to employees is a constant

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up because when good employees understand their worth there will be an even higher turnover. Treat employees with respect because they are people too and not just a timecard!

engineering excellence... poor management

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
Mount Pleasant, PA

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright full-time for more than 5 years

Prosinteresting work, great tools, great people, comp time, flex time, relaxed atmosphere

Consengineers are expected to do too much, very poorly managed company, union strikes, no 401k match, furloughs, work force reductions, cut backs in training

Advice to Senior Managementstop putting politics and greed above the greater good of the employees

Shocking

Engineer (Current Employee)
Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright

ProsPay is Good. If you are over fifty five you may feel comfortable here. The work here will make you proud to be an America!

ConsPeerless is a division of Curtiss-Wright that seems to be aloud to operate as a stand alone company. It seems that Curtiss-Wright has little or no knowledge of the day to day activities at Peerless. Management is very secretive about how they handle this operation and the way they treat their employees. Though there are some great people that work here. If you like working back in the 1980's this is the place for you! Don't even consider to suggest any improvements you will be cut off immediately. Their way or the highway. Most managers are good people though their is one in manufacturing that no one here likes and is an appalling human being with no class. The waste that goes on here is beyond belief. It is truly a shame. Working here makes you proud to be an American but embarrassing to be an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementHello! Wake up! Clean up this division. Replace most of your management team! They seem to have been left behind in time. You are welcome to join us in the twenty first century! Get out of the 1980s already! Stop waste!

Changeless

Facilities Engineer (Current Employee)
Cheswick, PA

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright

ProsThe Curtiss-Wright Facilities Department is a very friendly work environment. It allows for a great deal of communication between workers. They allow for advancement every year through performance reviews. You are usually considered for a percentage pay increase and once your pay has reached the top of a pay scale they consider a promotion. They generally are good about giving time off and being considerate of your home life and any issuse you may have to deal with there.

ConsSometimes ideas can be dismissed due to a resistance of change in the company. A union causes work to be slower than it should be due to a "the way it's been" attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to eliminate down time in the union workers and start to phase out older workers who are resistant to change. Bring in new young workers who have new and fresh ideas.

The Temp to Hire from Hell

Electrical Assembler (Former Employee)

I worked at Curtiss-Wright

ProsThe senior management when around were very nice. The pay was competitive to start and 1st shift ended by 3:30 most days. The facility is nice clean and well maintained. Stock Options...

ConsMandatory weekends, breaks were often used by lower management as time to show new hires what they were doing wrong (if your not a pro at a assembly don't expect a break your first few days.) Some other Temp to hire employees do not take work seriously making lower level management bitter to new hires and causing excessive rules like asking for bathroom breaks. Huge employee turnover ( I made up nicknames for the people I worked with no use learning real names.)

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen new hires and relax atmosphere. It is understood that productivity is number one however maintaining quality of employees not quantity could slow turnover and hostile lower level management.

Good Place to work.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Curtiss-Wright

ProsGood place to work with an overall good benefit package. Under Mr. Benante's leadership the management team has grown the company to over $1.5 billion in sales. Very positive attitude.

ConsSomewhat limited to growth opportunities unless you are in the inner circle, which is probably no different than any organization. Some divisions have reached a growth plateau.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe General Managers and VP’s of some business units need to lead their groups and stand up to Sr. Management once in awhile instead of being more concerned of their bonuses. They need to listen to the employees.

Worked for Curtiss-Wright? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Curtiss-Wright reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Curtiss-Wright CEO Martin R. Benante. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Curtiss-Wright employees.