Custom Built Personal Training

honest words

Former Employee - Fitness Manager
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training full-time for more than a year

Pros

if you work hard you will make good money.

Cons

work with fear of being fired every two week if you don't reach sales goals

none to give, im pretty sure they think they know everything already...lol

Love working individually with my clients and seeing their success.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Auburn, AL

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love working individually with my clients and seeing their success.

Cons

Sometimes the pay would be incorrect. They do not have a good corporate staff. Had lots of trouble getting responses and problems handled.

Keep a consistent staff.

Terrible

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training full-time for less than a year

Pros

I met some good people. I feel I provided a better service based on my own experience from previous companies I have worked for (using my own ethical selling strategies)

Cons

Bait and Switch offering a range of $32,000-$72,000 salary, when in fact they sell you the job, and you start at minimum wage and the highest salary a fitness manager makes is $24,000 per year. They only care about selling training and locking people into contracts. Upper management (at least everyone I worked under) couldn't care less about the clients reaching their goals, only looking to reach further into their pockets. Under qualified superiors, which were only glorified salesmen themselves with little to contribute as far as training to move up with the company.

Offer more money to trainers and fitness managers, focus more on offering a great product that is consistent from trainer to trainer, and club to club. Upper management should have less focus on trying to make commissions, and be more of a support system to their employees. District / Area supervisors should have a schedule to donate time and training equally to each club. Meet with and provide business plans to trainers to help them grow their business, and make more money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun Fast-paced working enviroment!!

I have been working at Custom Built Personal Training

Pros

Youre you're own boss in on of the most interesting fields helping people achieve ther goals.

Cons

I have None to say

Absolutely horrible company and horrible experience

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back enviroment at times

Cons

Poor pay, bad managment, sexist enviroment, poor sales tacticts, mean staff, bad hours, sexual harrassment(I experienced this...and corporate could not have cared any less)

Rehire almost all managment! Treat your employees better, and keep a closer eye on managment.

Money Not Worth the Work

Former Employee - Fitness Trainer  in  Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Fitness Trainer in Worcester, MA

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of Clients, Great online tools to help clients track appointments.

Cons

Paid only $8 per session. Bad support system from upper management - They seemed to only care about money.

Pay employees more

I love doing my Job, I could do with out the micro management

Current Employee - Assistant FItness Manager  in  Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant FItness Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Custom Built Personal Training full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you enjoy educating clients and showing them new workouts or helping them build a program that customized for them, then this is a career for you.

Cons

hours 9am-12am 4pm-8pm split shift, thats 7 hours a day, that they have you make up the 5 hours on saturday 9-2 to make it a 40 hour work week. New Comp plan to move the company in the upward motion, is really just the owners taking more money and giving us less!!!

The company is based on a really great idea, just need to work out the kinks, stop being so focused on the dam numbers and more attentive on the retention of clients and stop the pressure to sell training so what we really have is a great company thats built on integrity and value - not manipulation and smoke screens.

Personal training should be an honest enterprise, and Custom Built seems not to foster a reputation for honesty.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer

I worked at Custom Built Personal Training

Pros

Your success at Custom Built largely depends on how much work you put into recruiting. If you help the managers do their job, you get a commission on the training package new clients buy and the option to train the client you brought in. If you have good people skills and a lot of time to invest, you can make a decent living. You are also allowed to design your own exercise and diet programs; no gimmicks are pushed on you. As long as it works, it's fair game.

Cons

The pay is not very good. Depending on your hiring manager, you might walk away with $16-18/hr. This may seem good, given that you don't have to buy your own trainer's insurance or pay for space or equipment, but it's far below many businesses' rates. When you're paid per half-hour session and may not fill your schedule for weeks or even months, it can take a while to develop a paycheck worth the work you put in. New hires must also wait a full month, sometimes more, for their first check to arrive. Many gyms are jaded to Custom Built's revolving door of trainers and managers, as well, reducing their trust in you, your methods, and your chances of sticking around to help them. This can make filling your schedule very difficult.

Shady characters also tend to fill the managers' seats in this company. This may not be readily obvious, as they are at least usually good salespeople.

Hire good managers that will stick around and increase trainers' wages. These things will reduce turnover and maybe lead to more confidence in the company.

Worked for Custom Built Personal Training? Contribute to the Community!