Custom Decorators

Custom Decorators Reviews

Updated May 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Working at CDI was interesting and I learned more than I have at most temp. positions.

Accounts Receivable Specialist (Temp) (Former Employee) Tigard, OR

ProsThe people were very nice and extremely helpful.

ConsThere was more to be completed yet not enough help to get it all done.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my opinion there is a great need of hiring at least one more person in Accounts Receivable.

No Pre-Qualified Leads

Design Consultant (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsHunter Douglas Product.......best in window coverings
    Money to be made with qualified leads......
    Discounts on Hunter Douglas Sample Books.......

ConsFavoritism among Sales Consultants.......good leads only going to certain individuals....
    You can only make money with good leads......these are given to you by your Regional
    Sales Manager.......
    Leads are pre-qualified by employees at Home Depot, Macy's, etc. The customers have never heard of Hunter Douglas, let alone can not afford this product.
    Spending up to 2 hours on a house call,price comparing, all for $8.00.
    Must, and I say Must attend all webinars or you will be taken off rotation in stores you are
    assigned to. This is your punishment......No Leads......

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the Favoritism......give everyone a chance........explain when hiring your Design Consultants all the extra work involved, such as, Product Knowledge meetings in all your
    stores, visiting all your stores weekly, hours and hours of paperwork and please dont tell your Design Consultant after you sell the job you are no longer involved with this client. Should there be any problem with product or installation you are the first person they call and complain to. Last but not least their installers are very unprofessional, always late for appointments and sometimes very rude to your clients....

Just OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company to work for fresh out of college. Good experience was had.

ConsLots of secrets and lies. Employee incentive programs promised and taken away, HUGE office politics without very many standardized processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Custom Decorators has an unique business model, partnering with major retailers to contract out in home design service.

Designer Commission (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of Support from customer service, they really help with difficult clients. Direct access to Hunter Douglas for any product questions or problems. Up on Technology, love Sales Force for quoting, contracts.

ConsA lot of driving, 50+ miles one way, no sale, no money. With the price of gas today this job can break the bank if you do not make the sale. Independent contractors do not have any employee benefits, 401 K ect, but we are treated like employees when it come to company demands. Lost our biggest retail partner.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome recognition to those of us in the field selling would be nice. We are the ones who are generating all of your income.

I have enjoyed my time and have been given a lot of opportunity for growth.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat People, Steady advancement, decent pay.

ConsDifficult Clients, High Turnover Poor Insurance and Time Off policies

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize value of employees and compensate appropriately.

A full time job making part time money!

Design Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsI did learn a great deal about Hunter Douglas products, received all Hunter Douglas Sample Books for 1/2 price and I did meet some wonderful people.

ConsI was told from day one that this was going to be a part time job only to find out that it was more than a full time job working some weeks in excess of 40 hours and making part time income. I tried to run my own design business in conjunction with CDI only to have little to no time for my business resulting in many mistakes. I am fortunate that I was able to maintain my own business now that I am no longer with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you should tell the truth about the fact that this is not a part time job! That it is virtually impossible to work for CDI and run your own design business. There is a lot of running around with no chance to make money. I spent an incredible amount of money on gas and tolls and in many cases wasted a lot of time giving design ideas to clients who were just looking for the best price for blinds. I was known as the "blind lady" an order taker, therefore there was no respect for my advice and in most cases the clients could care less! Something should be done with the amount of paperwork as it is excessive and time consuming for both the client and the designer to process. As a result of this paperwork there are way too many hands that are involved and far too many mistakes being made.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Poor leads, high prices on products and not good commission

Drapery Designer (Former Employee)

ProsPart-time opportunity with enough time to do two part-time jobs.

ConsFrequent webinars, team phone calls. Poor pay, high prices on products.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't separate out hard window fashions from soft-not enough commission on soft treatments.

Dynamic, fast paced-company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsCorporate office is nice, good office perks and environment

ConsFast paced environment causes stress for some people.

They don't really provide you with what you need.

Field Marketing Representative (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou have a base pay + commission and you always get paid on time. Good chance to make good money if you are good at talking to people and generating quality leads.

ConsLow base pay. Commission is pretty unfair as well (must sell a lot in order to make a respectable income). Must work most weekends. Low chance of getting a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementField Marketing Representatives seem pretty unhappy with their jobs at Custom Decorators. A full day at the job really takes a lot out you. With no benefits, perks, low pay, and low chances of getting a raise, I can see why the employees are unhappy.

Great job for designers who can sell

Design Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of leads
    Flexible hours
    Back office support
    Great supplement to my own business
    Customers come from major retailers and are ready to buy.
    Provide very good back office support to designer and customer.

ConsSometimes too many leads
    Driving up to 50 miles
    No benefits or guarantee
    If you can't sell you won't make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn incentive program would be nice.
    It's good that you pay for 50% of samples and have a payment plan option.
    I would like a bonus plan that rewards me with free samples

Worked for Custom Decorators? Contribute to the Community!