Custom Sounds Reviews

2.4

Mike Cofield

Good place to learn, but you'll put it lots of hours...

Former Employee - Installer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Installer in Austin, TX

I worked at Custom Sounds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to gain experience, learn & hone customization skills

Cons

Per-hour pay may end up be less than if you were working install at a box store like Fry's or Best Buy. Expect to not have a life during Texas Heat Wave. No manufacturer discounts (accommodations) for employees.

Pay employees labor commission for board work; if business is slow, let excess installers leave work / be on-call.

Cool job. Starts awesome. But, it actually kinda sucks.

Current Employee - Salesman, Store Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Salesman, Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Custom Sounds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discounts on the products, decent pay if you're at a good store, good people to work with, and if you like car audio, this is a great field to be in. And they always seem to be hiring.

Cons

Hours to pay ratio.

I work 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and only make $1000/ a month (thats about $4-5 per hour). AND I'm a MANAGER!

All the employees start out at the Burnet store and get a good amount of sales equaling decent pay, and sometimes they move you to the other stores that have pretty ok amount of sales also.
    BUT the Fiesta store is the worst. The location and clientele is not very good; customers that just want to come in and look or try to get things for dirt cheap. This store never meets it's goals, not even during christmas season.

The pay is salaried ($1200 for salesman and $1500 for managers net pay. After taxes and insurance, its more like $800 for salesmen and $1000 for mangers) so it wont change no matter how many hours you work for the installs you have to stay for.
    And if you don't meet your goal, you don't get your commission (Hence the people just wanting to look (No sales= goal not met) and the long hours for the store hours and installs).
    And from what i hear is that if you don't make at least half of your goal, you actually OWE the company money and they take it from your check.

So, if it's just you needing to work, then it's not that bad. But if you have a family or even just have to pay rent and car payments and other regular bills, probably not a good idea.

Know who the good employees are. Treat them that way.

All about how much you can make and how much they can take.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Custom Sounds

Pros

You get good discounts on personal car audio purchases. You get to attend car shows for free. You get to be part of a fast growing industry.

Cons

It's all about the dollar for them, and they are always penalizing you financially for not making unreasonable expectations. They take away your spiff commissions for the most ridiculous reasons. They will decide they are having a "sale" and you're required to work and call it a "commission only day", you'll make like 3% for every sale(that's .03 for every dollar). Overall if you want to be treated unfairly, be required to work crazy amount of hours, and make this place your life, constantly have them use any reason not to pay you for something, get screamed at (literally screamed at, pounding fist screaming), then this is the place for you.

Money doesn't buy class, no matter how much you throw at it. Earn respect instead of demanding that it be given to you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you really like car audio, you may like this.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Custom Sounds

Pros

Your pay is dependent on your performance. As either sales or install you are paid on commission. So if you work really hard and get a lot done and do good in sales then you can make good money.

Cons

Working on commission can be difficult when regardless of your ability to sell, business just doesn't supply enough customers to make a decent living. Gets redundant very quickly. As a manager you are often short staffed and overworked. I found myself many times without a sales team and left to run the entire store and do all the sales myself. Hours are also not always consistent. I was big with customer service and stayed late on quite a few occasions to get a job done after hours which I was not getting paid any extra for.

Keep your Sales floor staffed and reward those employees who stand out.

Worked for Custom Sounds? Contribute to the Community!