CustomInk

Updated Jul 1, 2014

CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz

Marc Katz

Awesome company and people

Sales/Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsBest place I've ever worked

ConsCant think of any cons

CustomInk is a great company

Sales Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsBenefits and perks of working for the company. Lots of fun events.

ConsPay, cost of living is more than pay. Management isn't very organized and doesn't communicate very well in sales service. Not a lot of support for growing within the company.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Getting Over Growing Pains

(Current Employee)

Pros- Office culture is casual, but sometimes deceptively so. You may wear flip flops to work but you're also expected to know your stuff and kick butt.

- Cultural traditions are prized, but never out-of-bounds for a reality check. As a result the culture has stayed pretty similar over the course of my time (from 200 employees to 1000+) or improved.

- 99.9% of people genuinely enjoy coming to the office. It's reflected in how people treat each other, and the dedication they put into their work.

- Compensation in ops roles is great if you're a recent grad (almost too good to leave), but level out over time.

- A truly open, honest, caring environment. I can honestly say I've never seen someone treated differently because of race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or age.

- Benefits are stellar.

Cons- The VAST majority of personalities are awesome, but a few sour apples have a large impact, and while upper management is aware, nothing substantive is done (or at least perception is as such).

- Two words: Peter. Principle. This is slowly being rectified as the company fleshes out roles.

- Most of the hires in ops roles are recent grads. Not having a non-CI work environment to set a standard means sometimes people feel entitled about little things (like snarky Wanna-be-Yelp-reviewers of the free lunches), or don't know how to respond in a "grown-up" way to the challenges/expectations set upon them.

Finally, this is more of a mix than a con. I saw other reviewers say that they feel it's hard to move upwards in the company. This is very true as often roles are super competitive. However, the people who succeed are ones who put their necks out and make their own opportunities. Lots of Inkers seem to feel that simply being good at their current job warrants moving up or out of their departments. Managers are looking for people who are looking to move towards something specific, not just away from their current roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to constantly check yourself and understand the nuances of where we are in 2014 vs. 2010 vs. 2006 vs. 2001 as a company. Other than that, keep on keepin' on.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun Company, Could Use Tweaking

Sales/Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

Pros-Fun, light hearted work environment with opportunities (though no pressure) for socialization
    -Ability to move between departments with relative ease. Shadowing sessions are easy to coordinate
    -Smaller sized company means that it's easy to get to know most coworkers and to make work friends
    -Everybody is very open and approachable. Even the CEO
    -Managers prefer to coach somebody to success than to fire them
    -Company takes pride in it's work and it's employees
    -Thorough interview process weeds out a lot of bad apples
    -Competitive benefits package
    -Within Sales and Service, fairly easy to find shift coverage
    -Catered lunches 2x weekly
    -Tons of free SWAG. T-shirts, tote bags, etc.
    -Sales and service reps are empowered to come up with best solution for customers
    -Company does it's best not to feel or act like a typical call center

ConsFor sales and service...

-Your day is very rigidly scheduled and every break is timed
    -Quotas are difficult to meet. It's difficult to provide excellent customer service AND hit a certain number of calls per day, especially when you're encouraged to design shirts while you're on the phone with the customer.
    -The sales and service teams are expected to do a little bit of everything, which is okay but it's better to have a department devoted exclusively to chat OR calls OR emails. My current company does this, and it's great
    -Training is two weeks long and gives future SS Reps limited phone exposure. More phone exposure would have been nice
    -Since HQ is in Virginia, there are more limited opportunities for advancement in Reno if you want to go to a dept like marketing, finance, HR, etc.
    -SS Reps all have to work overtime during busier seasons
    -Sometimes the company's "customers first" attitude breeds abusive or demanding customers. SS reps are often pressured to bend over backwards in the name of customer service, even in these situations
    -Young managers often started as SS rep and lack management experience
    -Low compensation (could be average for call center) isn't really enough to support yourself

Advice to Senior ManagementDivide up the sales and service departments to focus on specific tasks for better efficiency and consistency. It's also ok to hire outside managers with actual experience.

all talk and no action

Production Associate (Former Employee)
    Charlottesville, VA

Pros- serve free meals twice a week
    - good coworkers
    - casual environment

ConsThe company wants to be thought of as an industrious, Google-like company full of talented, passionate individuals having a good time. They tell you from the outset that it's very easy to move up or around in the company and encourage an open door policy to voice concerns or suggestions. But they put so much effort into superficial policies that there are a lot of structural issues that don't get addressed. Hours for production employees are bad and I found that they typecast me from the beginning then wouldn't let me prove them wrong. I was told I wasn't happy enough to do customer service even though I have 6+ years of job experience in that field with great references. Most people I worked with were vocally unhappy with their position, but felt they didn't have the resources to leave. Part of the problem was that most people hired for production were overqualified, creative people who needed a more varied environment. Employees had a lot to offer, but no one would hear them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're great at hiring, but terrible at utilizing the talents and input of those you hire. Stop requiring forced happiness and start trying to see how you can make employees, particularly production employees, satisfied with the work they do. People might stick around if they felt valued.

Great place to work

Fairfax, VA

ProsVery casual work environment, lots of great people, fantastic benefits. The company values are awesome. It's refreshing to work with people who love what they do. The company is also growing pretty quickly.

ConsVery fast paced...but I can't even really say that's a con because that generally means that things are going well. It would be nice if pay was a bit higher considering the cost of living in the DC area. I wish there was a bit more room to grow, as far as salary goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have had nothing but great experiences with management. It may be a younger crowd in most areas, but very capable and willing to go above and beyond.

Great place to work!

Marketing Copywriter (Former Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsNice people, creative and collaborative environment, warm and welcoming vibe

ConsNo cons - CustomInk is a dream come true!

One of a kind

ProsStrong values, friendly co-workers, great brand, fun environment

ConsAverage pay, talent quality and experience levels mixed

Just not that great

Fairfax, VA

ProsCasual dress code. Fun people to work with. Fun environment.

ConsThey use the fun casual atmosphere and wearing t-shirts to work to cover for the fact that they pay horribly. They also use certain rare examples of people advancing into new roles as a way to pretend that there is great opportunity for growth... there is not.

Best job ever, hands down.

Expert Production Artist (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

Pros-The people are amazing. I have come to find a family among my coworkers and my management. When you work here, you not only get to know your desk mate, but your entire team and management. You build a support system here. I've never had such a strong one until I worked here.
    -The benefits are great! I have not heard a single person complain about the benefits themselves.
    -The opportunities for personal growth are there. As an artist at the company, we have the latest software, constant training and workshops for our growth. I think that is EXTREMELY important.
    -Also, getting to wear t-shirts and jeans to work is self explanatory.

Cons-Growing pains. We keep growing and growing and with that comes small situations that are a nuisance.
    -Disorganization. I have had a few instances where I have not known who to contact in HR (team development) for personal benefits questions and the like. I feel as if my emails and questions go unnoticed, not because they mean to ignore my requests, but simply that they are disorganized.
    -Education assistance. As a current graduate student in my field, I wish there was more education assistance, even if that meant signing a contract to stay with Customink for a certain amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is perfect. They might be young, but this is a relatively young company compared to many corporate giants. Their experience in the field, and at Customink, make them appropriate leaders, regardless of age. My advice is to keep up the great work, and keep providing opportunities to grow!

Worked for CustomInk? Contribute to the Community!

CustomInk Videos

CustomInk – Why Work for Us?

We like to say, "Don't let the flip-flops fool ya" - and it's true. Our core values of the Golden Rule, Ownership, and Innovation define how we treat team members, how team members treat each other, and how we treat our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CustomInk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CustomInk CEO Marc Katz. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by CustomInk employees.