CustomInk Reviews

4.2

CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Great, Innovative Company

I have been working at CustomInk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Google-like creative and hardworking atmosphere. Free food, t-shirts, other benefits like onsite gym, doc, company picnic, holiday party. Going above and beyond is recognized. Great, new location in the middle of Mosaic. Friendly coworkers and culture.

Cons

Pay is okay. Not sure about job outlook.

The company is growing quickly and is offering great opportunities. Don't forget those at the bottom of the totem pole.

Awesome company and people

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best place I've ever worked

Cons

Cant think of any cons

Getting Over Growing Pains

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Office culture is casual, but sometimes deceptively so. You may wear flip flops to work but you're also expected to know your stuff and kick butt.

- Cultural traditions are prized, but never out-of-bounds for a reality check. As a result the culture has stayed pretty similar over the course of my time (from 200 employees to 1000+) or improved.

- 99.9% of people genuinely enjoy coming to the office. It's reflected in how people treat each other, and the dedication they put into their work.

- Compensation in ops roles is great if you're a recent grad (almost too good to leave), but level out over time.

- A truly open, honest, caring environment. I can honestly say I've never seen someone treated differently because of race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or age.

- Benefits are stellar.

Cons

- The VAST majority of personalities are awesome, but a few sour apples have a large impact, and while upper management is aware, nothing substantive is done (or at least perception is as such).

- Two words: Peter. Principle. This is slowly being rectified as the company fleshes out roles.

- Most of the hires in ops roles are recent grads. Not having a non-CI work environment to set a standard means sometimes people feel entitled about little things (like snarky Wanna-be-Yelp-reviewers of the free lunches), or don't know how to respond in a "grown-up" way to the challenges/expectations set upon them.

Finally, this is more of a mix than a con. I saw other reviewers say that they feel it's hard to move upwards in the company. This is very true as often roles are super competitive. However, the people who succeed are ones who put their necks out and make their own opportunities. Lots of Inkers seem to feel that simply being good at their current job warrants moving up or out of their departments. Managers are looking for people who are looking to move towards something specific, not just away from their current roles.

Remember to constantly check yourself and understand the nuances of where we are in 2014 vs. 2010 vs. 2006 vs. 2001 as a company. Other than that, keep on keepin' on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Marketing Copywriter  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Copywriter in McLean, VA

I worked at CustomInk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people, creative and collaborative environment, warm and welcoming vibe

Cons

No cons - CustomInk is a dream come true!

One of a kind

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong values, friendly co-workers, great brand, fun environment

Cons

Average pay, talent quality and experience levels mixed

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very casual work environment, lots of great people, fantastic benefits. The company values are awesome. It's refreshing to work with people who love what they do. The company is also growing pretty quickly.

Cons

Very fast paced...but I can't even really say that's a con because that generally means that things are going well. It would be nice if pay was a bit higher considering the cost of living in the DC area. I wish there was a bit more room to grow, as far as salary goes.

I have had nothing but great experiences with management. It may be a younger crowd in most areas, but very capable and willing to go above and beyond.

Best job ever, hands down.

Current Employee - Expert Production Artist  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Expert Production Artist in McLean, VA

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The people are amazing. I have come to find a family among my coworkers and my management. When you work here, you not only get to know your desk mate, but your entire team and management. You build a support system here. I've never had such a strong one until I worked here.
    -The benefits are great! I have not heard a single person complain about the benefits themselves.
    -The opportunities for personal growth are there. As an artist at the company, we have the latest software, constant training and workshops for our growth. I think that is EXTREMELY important.
    -Also, getting to wear t-shirts and jeans to work is self explanatory.

Cons

-Growing pains. We keep growing and growing and with that comes small situations that are a nuisance.
    -Disorganization. I have had a few instances where I have not known who to contact in HR (team development) for personal benefits questions and the like. I feel as if my emails and questions go unnoticed, not because they mean to ignore my requests, but simply that they are disorganized.
    -Education assistance. As a current graduate student in my field, I wish there was more education assistance, even if that meant signing a contract to stay with Customink for a certain amount of time.

The management is perfect. They might be young, but this is a relatively young company compared to many corporate giants. Their experience in the field, and at Customink, make them appropriate leaders, regardless of age. My advice is to keep up the great work, and keep providing opportunities to grow!

Four Score and Six Years Ago

Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Sales/Service Representative in McLean, VA

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Likeminded people, young crowd, educated individuals, casual dress code, generous personal leave, free food, special treats

Cons

Desk job, same position can get monotonous after awhile, not a lot of growth opportunities, no standard salary increase from year to year or cost of living increase.

Doing a great job with the direction and growth of the company but there are many road blocks to moving up or out of certain departments.

Always striving to be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at CustomInk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Fantastic benefits - even expensive prescriptions and procedures are covered
    -generous personal leave - how many people do you know who are getting 3-5 weeks paid leave per year?
    -Friendly people - hiring is strict and thorough. Generally only good people working here
    -If something is wrong, they fix it. Leaders ask how to go from good to great, and they love suggestions for improvements.

Cons

-somewhat anti-intellectual culture at higher levels
    -tend to rely on "customInk-style" solutions to typical management problems. Another reviewer mentioned "it's called an industry standard for a reason" and I would agree with that; sometimes the right solution is something you need to do a little outside research to find.
    -if you hate change, working hard, or being challenged you'll have a rough time

Our company has a unique and special vibe. Don't let that get in the way of learning from what other companies are doing right.

Good company, good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at CustomInk full-time

Pros

Everyone is committed to the company and to the customer. People are proud of their work and want to do a good job.

Cons

General growing pains. Some people handle change better than others.

Keep communicating. Ask questions.

Worked for CustomInk? Contribute to the Community!