CustomInk

Updated Jul 1, 2014

CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz

Marc Katz

Awesome company and people

Sales/Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsBest place I've ever worked

ConsCant think of any cons

Getting Over Growing Pains

(Current Employee)

Pros- Office culture is casual, but sometimes deceptively so. You may wear flip flops to work but you're also expected to know your stuff and kick butt.

- Cultural traditions are prized, but never out-of-bounds for a reality check. As a result the culture has stayed pretty similar over the course of my time (from 200 employees to 1000+) or improved.

- 99.9% of people genuinely enjoy coming to the office. It's reflected in how people treat each other, and the dedication they put into their work.

- Compensation in ops roles is great if you're a recent grad (almost too good to leave), but level out over time.

- A truly open, honest, caring environment. I can honestly say I've never seen someone treated differently because of race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or age.

- Benefits are stellar.

Cons- The VAST majority of personalities are awesome, but a few sour apples have a large impact, and while upper management is aware, nothing substantive is done (or at least perception is as such).

- Two words: Peter. Principle. This is slowly being rectified as the company fleshes out roles.

- Most of the hires in ops roles are recent grads. Not having a non-CI work environment to set a standard means sometimes people feel entitled about little things (like snarky Wanna-be-Yelp-reviewers of the free lunches), or don't know how to respond in a "grown-up" way to the challenges/expectations set upon them.

Finally, this is more of a mix than a con. I saw other reviewers say that they feel it's hard to move upwards in the company. This is very true as often roles are super competitive. However, the people who succeed are ones who put their necks out and make their own opportunities. Lots of Inkers seem to feel that simply being good at their current job warrants moving up or out of their departments. Managers are looking for people who are looking to move towards something specific, not just away from their current roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to constantly check yourself and understand the nuances of where we are in 2014 vs. 2010 vs. 2006 vs. 2001 as a company. Other than that, keep on keepin' on.

Great place to work!

Marketing Copywriter (Former Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsNice people, creative and collaborative environment, warm and welcoming vibe

ConsNo cons - CustomInk is a dream come true!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of a kind

ProsStrong values, friendly co-workers, great brand, fun environment

ConsAverage pay, talent quality and experience levels mixed

Great place to work

Fairfax, VA

ProsVery casual work environment, lots of great people, fantastic benefits. The company values are awesome. It's refreshing to work with people who love what they do. The company is also growing pretty quickly.

ConsVery fast paced...but I can't even really say that's a con because that generally means that things are going well. It would be nice if pay was a bit higher considering the cost of living in the DC area. I wish there was a bit more room to grow, as far as salary goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have had nothing but great experiences with management. It may be a younger crowd in most areas, but very capable and willing to go above and beyond.

Best job ever, hands down.

Expert Production Artist (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

Pros-The people are amazing. I have come to find a family among my coworkers and my management. When you work here, you not only get to know your desk mate, but your entire team and management. You build a support system here. I've never had such a strong one until I worked here.
    -The benefits are great! I have not heard a single person complain about the benefits themselves.
    -The opportunities for personal growth are there. As an artist at the company, we have the latest software, constant training and workshops for our growth. I think that is EXTREMELY important.
    -Also, getting to wear t-shirts and jeans to work is self explanatory.

Cons-Growing pains. We keep growing and growing and with that comes small situations that are a nuisance.
    -Disorganization. I have had a few instances where I have not known who to contact in HR (team development) for personal benefits questions and the like. I feel as if my emails and questions go unnoticed, not because they mean to ignore my requests, but simply that they are disorganized.
    -Education assistance. As a current graduate student in my field, I wish there was more education assistance, even if that meant signing a contract to stay with Customink for a certain amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is perfect. They might be young, but this is a relatively young company compared to many corporate giants. Their experience in the field, and at Customink, make them appropriate leaders, regardless of age. My advice is to keep up the great work, and keep providing opportunities to grow!

Four Score and Six Years Ago

Sales/Service Representative (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsLikeminded people, young crowd, educated individuals, casual dress code, generous personal leave, free food, special treats

ConsDesk job, same position can get monotonous after awhile, not a lot of growth opportunities, no standard salary increase from year to year or cost of living increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job with the direction and growth of the company but there are many road blocks to moving up or out of certain departments.

Always striving to be better

Reno, NV

Pros-Fantastic benefits - even expensive prescriptions and procedures are covered
    -generous personal leave - how many people do you know who are getting 3-5 weeks paid leave per year?
    -Friendly people - hiring is strict and thorough. Generally only good people working here
    -If something is wrong, they fix it. Leaders ask how to go from good to great, and they love suggestions for improvements.

Cons-somewhat anti-intellectual culture at higher levels
    -tend to rely on "customInk-style" solutions to typical management problems. Another reviewer mentioned "it's called an industry standard for a reason" and I would agree with that; sometimes the right solution is something you need to do a little outside research to find.
    -if you hate change, working hard, or being challenged you'll have a rough time

Advice to Senior ManagementOur company has a unique and special vibe. Don't let that get in the way of learning from what other companies are doing right.

Good company, good people

McLean, VA

ProsEveryone is committed to the company and to the customer. People are proud of their work and want to do a good job.

ConsGeneral growing pains. Some people handle change better than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating. Ask questions.

An amazing workplace that's always respectful

Many (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGood-hearted coworkers, eager customers, grounded leaders and a colorful mascot.

ConsReally the only thing is the extremely fast growth. There's been a lot of overtime. Managers recognize it and they're hiring fast to take off the edge.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay-on-course, keep hiring good people and stay true to the values.

Worked for CustomInk? Contribute to the Community!

CustomInk Videos

CustomInk – Why Work for Us?

We like to say, "Don't let the flip-flops fool ya" - and it's true. Our core values of the Golden Rule, Ownership, and Innovation define how we treat team members, how team members treat each other, and how we treat our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CustomInk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CustomInk CEO Marc Katz. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by CustomInk employees.