CustomInk

CustomInk Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz

Marc Katz

Just not that great

Fairfax, VA

ProsCasual dress code. Fun people to work with. Fun environment.

ConsThey use the fun casual atmosphere and wearing t-shirts to work to cover for the fact that they pay horribly. They also use certain rare examples of people advancing into new roles as a way to pretend that there is great opportunity for growth... there is not.

Great when you first start

Satisfaction Assurance (Former Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsFree Breakfast every Monday free lunch every Friday!

ConsIf your in good with certain people you can advance quickly, if not they will find away to get rid you even if your productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring kids and grow up as a company!

I need an adult!

Satisfaction Assurance (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsVery casual work environment. Lots of meetings to check up on your progress toward hitting your targets.

ConsMost of the people there are in their early to mid 20's - managers included. Lack of maturity and professionalism was a bit of a problem. I didn't really realize how much I'd miss those things until they were absent from the office. When problems arose, we didn't need a friend, we needed a leader - and there was none to be found.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out how other companies hire, train, and release employees. There is a lot of information out there that CustomInk seems to be ignoring for the purposes of doing things "the CustomInk way". They are called industry standards for a reason.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CustomInk is a great company

Sales Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsBenefits and perks of working for the company. Lots of fun events.

ConsPay, cost of living is more than pay. Management isn't very organized and doesn't communicate very well in sales service. Not a lot of support for growing within the company.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

all talk and no action

Production Associate (Former Employee)
    Charlottesville, VA

Pros- serve free meals twice a week
    - good coworkers
    - casual environment

ConsThe company wants to be thought of as an industrious, Google-like company full of talented, passionate individuals having a good time. They tell you from the outset that it's very easy to move up or around in the company and encourage an open door policy to voice concerns or suggestions. But they put so much effort into superficial policies that there are a lot of structural issues that don't get addressed. Hours for production employees are bad and I found that they typecast me from the beginning then wouldn't let me prove them wrong. I was told I wasn't happy enough to do customer service even though I have 6+ years of job experience in that field with great references. Most people I worked with were vocally unhappy with their position, but felt they didn't have the resources to leave. Part of the problem was that most people hired for production were overqualified, creative people who needed a more varied environment. Employees had a lot to offer, but no one would hear them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're great at hiring, but terrible at utilizing the talents and input of those you hire. Stop requiring forced happiness and start trying to see how you can make employees, particularly production employees, satisfied with the work they do. People might stick around if they felt valued.

Solid company with major growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, lots of room to grow. Constant (sometimes mandatory) overtime available during busy season. Free lunch twice a week and very cheap health insurance.

ConsOnly existing employees are considered for increasingly responsible positions. Your Manager will probably be a "lifer," along with your coaches and everybody up to Rob K. These folks have no outside experience and the result is misguided incestuous mid to lower level management. Grow slow to get it right.

Ambitious marketing outpaced reasonable hiring capabilities which trickled down to the other teams like a Reaganomics fever dream. Best quote from busy season: "I am so stressed out, I haven't had a day off in over a week and this is all over (expletive deleted) t-shirts! I WANT MY LIFE BACK!"

Advice to Senior ManagementA "lifer" there once told me "CustomInk is like a salad, I love the toppings but some of the stuff under them is pretty bad." Open up to outsiders for a healthy mix of promotions and new blood. Grow slow.

It's Okay.

McLean, VA

ProsGreat location, good benefits, free food, nice enough co-workers, fun and relaxed environment. No micromanaging and no scrambling around. Ok pay.

ConsManagers aren't really experienced, and it shows. This can be good on one hand, but bad when leadership is actually needed. When first hired, I felt tricked a little. My salary was lower than the minimum that was advertised and the schedule wasn't what was advertised either. It's not THAT big of a deal, but it does make me question the integrity of the company. It's like they advertised greatness to get you excited and then once you're hired, they take all that away. But you don't want to walk away because of the difficult job market. That's what happened. Overall, it's ok, but I'm not WOWed.

Fun Company, Could Use Tweaking

Sales/Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Reno, NV

Pros-Fun, light hearted work environment with opportunities (though no pressure) for socialization
    -Ability to move between departments with relative ease. Shadowing sessions are easy to coordinate
    -Smaller sized company means that it's easy to get to know most coworkers and to make work friends
    -Everybody is very open and approachable. Even the CEO
    -Managers prefer to coach somebody to success than to fire them
    -Company takes pride in it's work and it's employees
    -Thorough interview process weeds out a lot of bad apples
    -Competitive benefits package
    -Within Sales and Service, fairly easy to find shift coverage
    -Catered lunches 2x weekly
    -Tons of free SWAG. T-shirts, tote bags, etc.
    -Sales and service reps are empowered to come up with best solution for customers
    -Company does it's best not to feel or act like a typical call center

ConsFor sales and service...

-Your day is very rigidly scheduled and every break is timed
    -Quotas are difficult to meet. It's difficult to provide excellent customer service AND hit a certain number of calls per day, especially when you're encouraged to design shirts while you're on the phone with the customer.
    -The sales and service teams are expected to do a little bit of everything, which is okay but it's better to have a department devoted exclusively to chat OR calls OR emails. My current company does this, and it's great
    -Training is two weeks long and gives future SS Reps limited phone exposure. More phone exposure would have been nice
    -Since HQ is in Virginia, there are more limited opportunities for advancement in Reno if you want to go to a dept like marketing, finance, HR, etc.
    -SS Reps all have to work overtime during busier seasons
    -Sometimes the company's "customers first" attitude breeds abusive or demanding customers. SS reps are often pressured to bend over backwards in the name of customer service, even in these situations
    -Young managers often started as SS rep and lack management experience
    -Low compensation (could be average for call center) isn't really enough to support yourself

Advice to Senior ManagementDivide up the sales and service departments to focus on specific tasks for better efficiency and consistency. It's also ok to hire outside managers with actual experience.

Great, growing company but pay could be better

Associate Manager (Current Employee)
    Tysons Corner, VA

ProsCustomInk is a great company with wonderful benefits and a laid back, casual atmosphere. The company is constantly growing so job security is never an issue.

ConsThere is TONS of competition for positions which can make it challenging when opportunities arise. The pay when moving to a management position is not a very significant difference--there are also no annual raise structure which can be difficult in an area like Northern VA.

A Great Entry-Level Experience Stepping into the Professional World

McLean, VA

ProsResponsibilities, team members, work environment and work culture all culminate into a wonderful stepping stone into the business-professional landscape.

ConsSome business processes are not yet concrete.

Worked for CustomInk? Contribute to the Community!

CustomInk Videos

CustomInk – Why Work for Us?

We like to say, "Don't let the flip-flops fool ya" - and it's true. Our core values of the Golden Rule, Ownership, and Innovation define how we treat team members, how team members treat each other, and how we treat our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CustomInk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CustomInk CEO Marc Katz. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by CustomInk employees.