Customer Engineering Services

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014

2.3

CEO

Great Company that has grown over the last 10 years.

I have been working at Customer Engineering Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The growth of the company over the past 10 years has lead to the opportunity of applying for new positions within the organization. Since joining the CES in 2008 I have held the positions of Quality Service Technician, Technical Service Representative and recently promoted to Field Manager. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401k and paid holidays. A positive on the medical is the company has managed to keep our cost flat over the past three years. Also they provide a company vehicle. Remote work environment working on a wide range of products. Continuous learning programs provided the employer.

Cons

Dealing with the shipping companies such as FedEx, UPS, etc. on getting parts or equipment to the sites on time primarily in remote locations.

Continue to work on internal communications between the executive team and field staff.

Run away, not a good company

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - District Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Customer Engineering Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are provided a company car.

Cons

No family life, you will work long hours, weekends, and holidays with no recognition. The harder you work, the more you are told you suck. This company is designed for Fuji Film and IBM retires. Everyone else is abused with zero job security. When work declines, instead of layoffs, managers will submit list of employees stack ranked, the lower ranked is fired after charges are made up. hR is a joke and allows unprofessional managers to verbally abuse workers. No raises.

No advice, you would not listen anyway.

Perfect company if you want to stay in the position you were hired for.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative

I have been working at Customer Engineering Services full-time

Pros

CES provides a company car, tools, laptop, and smart phone. These items are things you will certainly miss if you leave the company.

Cons

There are very very few advancement opportunities. When opportunities do come up, someone has already been chosen for that position and the interview is merely for show.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Company Ive ever worked for. Embarised to have them on my Resume

Current Employee - TSR  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - TSR in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Customer Engineering Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

company car, change of scenery every day

Cons

No Rases, Worst Benifits Package Ever, No Match 401K, Forced to work weekends and Holidays, Little to No training on equipmnet, Managment that never responds to issues, Product specialists who know nothing about the equipment your working on. 50+ hour wook weeks. promotions are only for IBM alumni... be prepared to never see your family or friends, work always comes first. All there knowlegdable people are jumping ship.. usually means the ship is sinking.

You have doomed this company to fail... congrats !

Put in a lot of hard work, to be treated as a number.

I worked at Customer Engineering Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, benefits were ok. Was able to learn a lot about the job and myself.

Cons

50+ hours a week. Poor pay. Very little appreciation from management of the complexities of what the techs are being asked to do.

Tell your people the truth.

field technician

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative

I worked at Customer Engineering Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

receive a company car, company phone and laptop. most technicians willing to help each other problem solve.

Cons

the cars not such a bonus since you will spend 2-5 hours driving to a site then expected to work and complete 2 service calls then drive home and do it again the next day without complaint. no technical support from management. some of the technical specialist and trainers can be condescending and unfortunately they never get reprimanded.minimum to no raise. horrible benefits. longs hours sometimes up to 14 in a day and while you will get overtime you are also expected to keep those hours for several days in a row without breaks and sometimes without taking a lunch away from the machines or work area. work on machines your not trained on is the norm.

they wouldn't listen so any attempt here is pointless.

No real life!

Former Employee - TSR  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - TSR in Madison, WI

I worked at Customer Engineering Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can't think of any. There 401k was a joke.

Cons

Drove somedays 6 hrs there and 6 hrs home plus the service call. Then when you get home paperwork must be done. On weekends you do online testing and studying for products you have never seen. There was one product line of printers that were from the 1970's.

Don't lose anymore accounts are you will be on the line.

Field Service Technician

Former Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Customer Engineering Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to work without reporting to an office.

Cons

The company is supporting a dying photo industry and is struggling to support all of its service obligations.

More service technicians are needed to reduce the travel time between service calls.

Long hours

Current Employee - TSR  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - TSR in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Customer Engineering Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

They give you plenty of over time at this place to work on printers. They supply you with a vehicle and with tools and a phone.

Cons

Starting pay is way too low. Raises are not given out regularly. They work you 50 hours a week at least.

Have your starting wage be more competitive with other companies and dont lowball your technicians.

Good to build experience from entry-level, but keep your resume updated and jump when you have a chance.

I worked at Customer Engineering Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you work as a TSR (technical service rep, about 90% of their workforce) you get a car, phone, computer and tools provided. Scenery changes daily. Pay is decent to start but...

Cons

...don't expect frequent or significant raises - I went on average 3 years between 5% raises, and usually only after I brought it to the attention of my manager several times. No year-end bonuses or profit-sharing of any kind, and they only recently started 401k matching at a level that is a complete joke (something like $150 per $1,000 contributed.)

Most of your days will be spent dealing with minimum/near minimum wage retail employees in a retail setting. LOTS of driving, after they started issuing company cars I went through them at a rate of 1 every 2 years (the fleet company initiates a replacement at ~85,000 miles.) Managers have completely unrealistic expectations on travel time (ie, "it took you 1 hour to drive 60 miles, I could have done that in 25 minutes") and call ETAs are set arbitrarily by a computerized dispatch system, often giving you no time to cover large distances.

Training is hit or miss, depends on the account you end up working on. By the time I left they picked up a service contract with a major office equipment supplier and we were expected to BS our way through convincing the customers that you were an old hand at servicing their copier/printer (etc.) when often it was the first time you laid eyes on the equipment you were working on.

They don't really promote from within, all the upper management are IBM alumni and seem to always have someone waiting in the wings when a position opens up. In 8 years I saw one coworker move up substantially, there's really no opportunity for advancement here.

Provides benefits but you pay through the nose for them and I had an independent insurance agent tell me their healthcare plan was "on the mediocre side of terrible" and not worth buying, I was able to do better buying my own policy.

Offer your employees some incentive for working hard. A 5% raise every 2-3 years hardly keeps up with inflation.

Worked for Customer Engineering Services? Contribute to the Community!