Customer Lobby

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
3.9

Ted Paff

Great growing company, flexible work schedule

Former Employee - Customer Service Reviewer in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Reviewer in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Customer Lobby part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company enviornment- setup like the typical Bay Area startup with snacks, breaks, no wall partitions, open floor plan, and a PING PONG TABLE with tournaments!

They are flexible with your work schedule, especially if you are hitting review targets. I cannot speak for sales as I was not on the sales team but they were easy to get along with and always seemed to have fun as well. Great job for students part time- sales is great for recent graduates as the compensation and bonuses are competitive.

I enjoyed everyone I worked with on the customer review side of the company and I still keep in touch with colleagues. We became a family- people I felt comfortable asking to take a personal day, felt comfortable asking for help, and felt comfortable doing favors for. Great work environment for a company that I have first hand seen grow over the years while a student at UC Berkeley.

You also sit feet from the CEO so your input is actually heard.

Cons

Compensation can be somewhat stagnant if you are NOT in sales, although they are so flexible with your hours it is worth it.

Consider performance pay for those in the non-sales roles or have the ability to gain raise over time.

Company with a great product and a lot of potential for growth

Former Employee - Account Executive in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Customer Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customer Lobby is a company that definitely has HUGE potential to becoming one of the largest reviews, SEO, and reputation management companies out there. They have a great product that SMB owners can benefit from. The management here is great because they believe in their product and genuinely want to sell something that helps SMBs grow their business. Management also has a coaching approach to training and will always push you to be the best you can be. They are always available and have an open door policy to feedback. If you need help, they will jump on a call with you and walk you through from pitch to close and give you the credit for a job well done. There are lots of opportunities in building your sales experience and making lots of money here.

Other things:
    - laid back office culture
    - everyone is very friendly
    - commission structure is pretty awesome (work hard and it will reflect in your pay)
    - good entry-level base salary
    - free snacks and drinks (but don't think Google)
    - approachable managers (always willing to help)
    - team environment (everyone is willing to help each other succeed)

Cons

As a company, Customer Lobby is a great place to work. The only thing that I would like to see is more structure and focus on orientation and training for the product. I think some formal training would really help the skills of future AEs. I left because I was looking for something a little more structured.

I wouldn't change a thing except for more formal and dedicated training sessions.

Glad to have worked for such a fun company for over a year and a half!

I have been working at Customer Lobby

Pros

I came into the Lobby not knowing how to sell anything over the phone. I got fast tracked for working hard and learning from everyone around me. A small startup which is cool to still able to talk with you managers daily and get advice. They know how to develop talent and the experience for working for a company like this is the best thing I have taken away. The skills transfer into selling anything into today's SMBs. I make more money here than any job I have ever worked at, and love what I'm doing. Every day is different and the culture is one that keeps everything light. You can go do any SaaS job after this and the product is what makes this a hot topic, you can really learn how to be well rounded with people here. I still grow and learn everyday and the skills are ones you can really focus in on and practice with each call.

Cons

I think growth is catalyzed by sales but success is growing everything we do - together. Staff the Lobby with top talent in the top positions.

I would love an option to share ownership of the company after shown loyalty. People should be rewarded more who have put in more time.

Little things count, fun spiffs here and there couldn't hurt :)

BART PASS PLEASEEEEE

Keep positivity high with more company functions.

Don't be afraid to promote us and put our brand in the spotlight.

Sickdays aka working from home (or just more PTO) would be cool.

401k and FULL benefits.

Company with room for improvement, but a great place to work!

I have been working at Customer Lobby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Fun environment with awesome co-workers. Everyone works well together and there is positive synergy throughout the entire office.
    -Laid-back environment, casual attire, flexible hours, and an open door policy.
    -Growing office space. A brand new office is opening soon for the sales team!
    -Software that changes and improves within a changing marketplace.
    -A great place for entry-level candidates or people with a bit of sales experience. The foundation that you establish here will help you to break into higher sales roles.

Cons

-The base pay is not competitive, but the commission structure is.
    -Some days can be disorganized and chaotic, but I think that is expected within the start-up environment.
    -Room to improve on company-wide communication.
    -No 401k or opportunity to invest in the company.

Give your employees more insight into the future of the company. The people who believe in and are dedicated to Customer Lobby want to know where the company is heading and what to expect a couple months ahead. Get us excited about new product releases!

Continue to nurture employees no matter how long they have been with the company.

Sales isn't for the weak.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Customer Lobby

Pros

-The product basically sells itself. Get any business owner to have a conversation with you about their business and reputation and they won't argue that "word of mouth" is their #1 source of new business. That's exactly what reviews are. We simplify the process of collecting reviews for small businesses and unlike other review companies, this company actually cares about the customer's experience and driving the economy rather than making the quick buck.

-If you can't handle being hung up on, chewed out, feeling like your wasting breath, or simply being told "no", then hang up your hat. Don't blame it on the product if you're just not cut out for Sales and willing to put in the work.

-Everyone is cool and fun and each bring amazing qualities & personalities to the table, which makes the work environent more enjoyable.

**(Bonus: Everyone is positive and know exactly what to do or say when you just have "one of those days", which creates the feeling of community as opposed to hitting you with the switch when you don't meet your quota or treating you like a number or dollar sign. The warm "family" vibe is the core of this company and it's evident to customers as well.) **

Cons

The pay is pretty low for the Bay Area, however, the trials & tribulations & the overall experience are far more valuable than just a paycheck. If you can absolutely crush it at a company that has yet to make the mainstream or get your foot in the door with a business owner without any leverage--that says more about you as a salesperson and your overall character. If you can kill it here, your possibilities in the sales world are endless!

Training should be ongoing and more structured for those with less experience, other than that...nada.

Great opportunity to work with SMB's and learn inside-sales

Current Employee - Account Executive in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Customer Lobby full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Complete autonomy over your day. Guidance from management and warm leads provided from lead generation team will keep you fed but uncapped commission is most advantageous to those with an entrepreneurial spirit.
    - Open floor plan makes collaboration/communication with other departments simple.
    - No cubicles help provide instant feedback from your teammates or managers. Training provided by those who have completed it and succeeded using the techniques taught.
    - Refreshing to work for business that truly values its clients. Very customer oriented sales approach.
    - New sales opportunities open as multi-location, corporate and occasional trade-show/convention trips become available.
    - Continuous product development

Cons

- Limited paid time-off on accrual basis. No paid sick leave, must use accrued PTO.
    - No 401k or similar retirement options. Adequate but limited health care available.
    - Pay is near bottom of competitive Account Executive positions for tech in the area.
    - Small management team means their time is finite, reflected in ongoing training received.
    - Infrequent non-work related activities combined with monotonous work makes for daily "grind"

Continue to train and empower employees. Do not fear distribution of power. Do not let monotony kill talent. Be proactive when facing morale issues. Invest more in those who have invested in the company. Continue to utilize "teams" and collaborative work when applicable. Provide deeper insight into personal career development within the company.

Telemarketing!

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Customer Lobby

Pros

Ping pong. An a place to pick up a check.

Cons

Contrary to what one company Kool-aid drinking poster wrote, this is not a place to hone your software sales skills. This a telemarketing job, plain and simple. The pay is not just uncompetitive, the base is 20k less than the average for software sales in the Bay Area. There is no 401k or options to invest in the company. There are so many better jobs out there that pay better. But hey, if you don't have a degree and want to sell a scam, then this place is for you.

Stop lying to applicants. Tell them the truth.

Sweet and Sour

I worked at Customer Lobby

Pros

Laid back management, fun environment, great office humor. Good product you can stand behind.

Cons

Impossible to make good money. Nothing is consistent.

training program

Customer Lobby Response

Sep 22, 2014President

Yep..you are right, our program needs to be updated. We have just launched our Inside Sales Boot Camp as well as a new syllabus of training workshops for our Reps. Not only will these sessions ... More

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Boy in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Boy in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Customer Lobby full-time

Pros

Ping pong, that's about it.

Cons

It is a fake online reviews website. You cold call all day to businesses that just do not want to hear it. If you live in the bay area, why sell software that deals with generating online reviews? With all the SaaS options out there, this job is lame.

You created a weird company. It wont be around in 5 years.

Customer Lobby Response

Sep 22, 2014President

Reviews matter to local businesses - a lot. All clients are invited to test our service risk free for 30 days to make sure it works for them. After that, our service is month-to-month and contract ... More

Good for the right person in the right circumstance but it's still a call center.....

Former Employee - Call Agent
    Former Employee - Call Agent

I worked at Customer Lobby part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people in the management positions and the CEO himself are nice people. The atmosphere is laid back in the sense that nobody is breathing down your neck or making a big deal if you are 10 minutes late. It is nice that the CEO always buys snacks (even though they are really unhealthy). There is a certain amount of flexibility in certain positions. Call agent position is good if you have something else going on (school, another job, an outside passion you are pursuing etc.). It is located in a really cool area of downtown Berkeley. I give the CEO an A+ for really trying to create an employee friendly work place by inviting people to A's game or having office potlucks complete with beer. It has a bit of a cheesy fraternity feel but it is very well intended. The work is easy and mindless if that is what you are looking for whatever reason.

Cons

The work itself can be painfully boring. You are a cog in a machine. Calling people and asking them for stuff is not that fun. We all know how we feel when we get those calls. The office is uncomfortable. There are no wrist pads on the key boards, some of the desks are really uncomfortable and the computer monitors are too low so you get aches from the positioning of things. It is crowded and there are a lot of people in one space that is either too cold or too hot with no ventilation. You will not get paid a lot but it is fair.

I admire everything that is put into this company and have learned a lot about how businesses grow and start. There is a lot of really positive stuff here. Get a bigger space if you can. Maybe offer wrist pads for people's key boards if they want them. Overall, I like the culture and think it is a positive environment. Just uncomfortable..............