Customer Lobby Reviews

Ted Paff

The Lobby Rocks

Current Employee - BDR in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - BDR in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Customer Lobby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Coolest thing about customer lobby is the culture of our office. We have all walks of life here and no judgments are passed. The Ceo is the greatest down to earth guy! I enjoy the work flow and the chillness of the office. I love the time we spend together out side of work. I Really enjoyed the A's game last night. Sitting together laughing, talking and of course the beer! Work hard play even harder!

Cons

Con? If I had to say anything it would be that we need more out side of work play lol. In all seriousness it would be great to spend more time with one another out side of work to get to know one another a bit better..

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the Friday meetings are great. All of us remaining here at Customer Lobby are very appreciative of the Raises! Holla!

Great environment in a growing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Customer Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management here is invested in your growth. One on one training is tailored to your needs and it's clear that they want to see people succeed. When I started I was given a 6 month timeline to advance on the sales team. After two months of being successful in an entry-level role I was given the opportunity to move up ahead of schedule.

The managers are open to feedback and discussing making changes to day to day procedures. The company is growing and changing at the moment, so there is frequently room for input.

This is also the only sales job I've ever had with good work/life balance. You will go home at 5 every day.

Cons

The other side of a company that is growing is that there are not many standard procedures in place. It may take some time to get an answer to a question as management can get pretty busy.

While the one on one training is very good there are times when you need to be able to speak up and ask for guidance. You need to be comfortable reminding your team lead or manager when you need one on one time that's longer than a single question.

Advice to Management

As the company grows solidify some standard practices, so the reps aren't as disrupted in those changes.

Perfect Experience Building Sales Environment

Former Employee - Account Executive in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Customer Lobby

Pros

Great people. They're the reason I came to work.
    Management is open to suggestions and helping.
    Friendly sales floor, everyone supporting everyone.

Cons

Extremely high employee turnover rate.
    Outdated tech (Older PC's/Wired headsets).
    Very few people meet sales quotas.
    Difficult product to sell.
    Commission structure is basically pointless for majority of employees.
    Very slow and low motivation environment.

Advice to Management

If you want employees to genuinely care about the product you need to increase base salary for all employees. The pay is lower than almost all other similar positions within other companies.

May 29, 2015President

Yes, base salaries were too low and that resulted in a high turnover rate. We recently raised our salaries across the board. Since we released our new product a couple of months ago, the majority of ... More

Never Again

I worked at Customer Lobby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, cup of noodles, granola bars, juice/soda, fruit, paid holiday and hour lunch break

Cons

Working at customer lobby was like a child being monitored the entire time. I worked there for 3 months (average for just about everyone) and we weren't allowed to talk, interact with one another basically just sit at the computer, cold call and harass people. The management there was POOR! i was meeting quotas EVERY week and one week they bumped the quota up to where it was almost impossible and when me and another employee didn't meet that quota we were both fired on the spot! The manager didn't even fire us, he left and had someone else do it for him and he had our check printed out right then and there waiting for us, (when they said they don't print out checks). Very unprofessional and lack of communication. They would wait until you get to work to tell you not to come in, would write you up without you knowing.. So much stress for $10 an hour it is NOT worth it. I could go on and on about customer lobby but i would need a legal pad for that...

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and maybe they would have something decent to say about your company

May 29, 2015President

We recently launched a new product. In the run-up to the launch, we tried working with a call-center-style initial lead generation team but had to let all of those people go because it wasn’t the ... More

6. Demeaning environment

Former Employee - Anonymous in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Customer Lobby full-time

Pros

Nice location if you enjoy working here in the East bay / Berkeley area. Good place to work if you are a student taking night classes and have no real bills, debt or responsibilities.

Cons

My buddy at Starbucks actually makes more than I do and I am one of the higher rated people in the sales group.

Advice to Management

Change the scope of the product and pay scale of the employees. The leadership is unrealistic by continually over projecting and underdelivering.

May 29, 2015President

Yep ... we hear you and have done just what you suggested. We just raised our base salaries and released a new product. The majority of our AE’s are exceeding quota every month.

7. "Poked the bear one too many times"

I worked at Customer Lobby

Pros

Before working at Customer Lobby I had strong interest in being a web developer/Programmer, even through my position wasn't directly related , the engineering team made themselves available for Q&A as well as specific coaching.This is a great place to showcase your skills and learn about what it takes to run a start-up.

Cons

During the "tail" end at Customer Lobby i became concerned about my future with the company ; and if i would ever make the money I was anticipating in terms of commission. I didn't feel the system was set up for me to succeed. After a few meetings with management i was ultimately terminated without just cause. Maybe "I poked the bear one too many times"

Advice to Management

The product is much more complex and inventive then other products on the market, Which means a new standard has to be met when approaching customers. I strongly suggest prospecting customers with the attitude of scheduling an appointment ; and making this very clear on the initial call.This is the age of consultation for the team moving forward.Also getting noise canceling phones for the team would help.In addition training could be much better; things like recording calls, dialogue and objection training , and giving the whole team books to establish ideology is key.

Cognizant of individual's interests/strengths and open to accommodating them.

I have been working at Customer Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Multiple opportunities to show what you can do for the company and attentive eyes/ears in management. The company is growing- and fast. If you speak up about an idea you think could work, you're heard.

-Management expresses that part of their role is preparing/training employees for where they're going next, even if that's at another company.

-Product transparency.

Cons

Again, the company is growing quickly. There are times you'll be left on your own to figure out what to do next, times you have to prioritize your own tasks without micro-guidance, etc. Not great for people who need more structured days or immediate feedback from supervisors.

Stay Away. They're in the online reviews business, I'm sure some of the positive reviews here are fake.

Current Employee - Sales in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Customer Lobby

Pros

Relaxed dress code
    Free snacks
    There's really nothing else than that, but there's a 20 word minimum here.

Cons

Customer Lobby is really, really struggling.

First, they pulled a bait and switch job offer, where they advertise a not existing position-- to bait qualified applicants , then they switch the offer to a lower tiered sales position, so look out for that move.

Second, they offered me the job over the phone on the first interview. This might sound cool to you as an applicant, but its a clear red-flag of a struggling company-- with a revolving door of employees.

Third, I came on board after most of the sales team there was fired, according to someone who had been there, but he was eventually fired, while I was there.

The company has got to be hemorrhaging money out the door like nobody's business. I'm surprised their doors are still open. While I was there, getting people onto trials was a major accomplishment for the company. The trials were free! But they celebrated that to keep morale up. They couldn't barley get customers to try their product for free!

Pay is well below market rate.

They lack professionalism--they will fire you in front of the whole office. They do it in a side conference room, but its obvious to everyone when they let someone go. It's like a walking pirate plank there.

They're just riding on the coat tails of their competitors. It took them over 7 years to get out of a failing customer reviews management product and move on to a another product that is struggling to gain traction.

10. Good job for students or a transitional job after college.

Former Employee - Call Agent in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Call Agent in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Customer Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a call agent I had a lot of flexibility with my hours. If I ever needed to come in late or early it was never any problem, if I wanted to take a couple of days off to go on a trip it was also not a big deal.

Everyone on our side of the office is very friendly. Most people have fun, laid back personalities and management fosters this culture by not breathing down your neck for talking too much or playing too much ping pong (within reason). I am really going to miss cracking jokes and sharing some the more interesting calls with my old coworkers. Honestly they are the best part of the job.

Compared to other part-time student/transitional jobs the setting is comfortable. You are at a desk, you can take breaks when you need to there are some snacks in the office you can have for free.

CEO is friendly, he will crack jokes he will say hello to you. He is obviously proud of his company and it shows.

Pay is decent for the work that you are doing.

Cons

The work is incredibly dull. The only way to make it interesting is to set personal goals but I found a lot of the time the number of successful calls is random. You are learning how to talk to people on the phone in a professional setting but the work is so niche I can't see it transferring over much to other jobs.

The ability to be flexible with the hours apparently goes both ways. The management gave us one days notice that all of our guaranteed 8 hour shifts would be turned into 5 hour shifts. I understand that there has to be flexibility in a startup and employment cost is high but at least give us two weeks to get our finances in order. That left a bad taste in my mouth.

Advice to Management

Don't cut your employees hours on a moments notice. Even with all of the friendliness, free snacks and ping pong tables, when you cut your employees hours without so much as a warning it sends a clear signal that you don't value their work. It is disrespectful.

11. Awesome people and environment, but not the greatest training

Current Employee - Call Agent in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Call Agent in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Customer Lobby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are absolutely the best. You work with a small group, and everyone is super friendly and always sending funny messages in between calls. They're also super flexible with your hours, and don't make you feel guilty for needing a personal day or having to call in sick. The pay is also pretty decent, considering how easy the job is.

Cons

You don't really learn anything new. It literally takes an hour or two to learn the web admin, and after that, you're just leaving voicemails, taking reviews, or being rudely declined. If you're looking for a job that provides a useful skill set that you could apply to a future career, this really isn't the place.

Advice to Management

Perhaps take what career path your part-time employees are considering, and after they've done some good work in customer calls, maybe try and direct them to an area of Customer Lobby where they could maybe learn something related to their field. With the work being so stagnant, learning something new would be a little rewarding.

RSS Feed </> Embed