Cutco Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

James E. Stitt

Not fulfilling to become an actual career

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cutco part-time for less than a year

Pros

You create your own schedule to sell the Cutco products. After you pay a fee to have the sales products, you get to keep them and they last a long time. Great opportunity to meet new people and create long lasting friendships with managers and coworkers.
    The Cutco products are well worth the purchase, but the price is just so steep.
    I learned many things about sales during my time at Cutco, especially presenting to clients. The confidence I got from selling to clients and meeting new people helped me transition into college classes that required presentations.

Cons

Commission based only, so even if they tell you that the hourly pay rate is $15, you do not actually get paid unless you sell a set.
    You have to find the clients yourself and go as far as to sell to your own family, which I was not that keen on doing. On the bright side, my mother, grandfather, and aunt have a set, therefore they are happy with their purchase, but these cutlery sets are far more expensive than those you buy at Macy's.
    If you do not make enough appointments, managers become very aggressive to the point where you just feel like quitting because you're not making enough money to add to their paychecks.
    You have to pay your way to seminars rather than the company paying for you and they do not reimburse you on the amount of gas you use to drive to clients' homes.

Reimburse employees on gas and pay for their seminar fees.
    Training should be more interactive and fun!
    A discount price on the sales kit would be better than paying in full and on the spot.

You get what you put into it

I have been working at Cutco

Pros

create your own sales experience

Cons

Most want you to reach out to people you know like family, friends, ect

give workers leads

Knives!

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cutco part-time for more than a year

Pros

The products are really great.

Cons

Their recruiting is their sales. They churn and burn college kids to produce sales. The kids sell to their parents and family, then quit. It's all about recruitment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Your office manager is in control of your success

Former Employee - Advanced Sales Representative  in  Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Advanced Sales Representative in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Cutco part-time

Pros

Training is top notch, it's a quality product that you are selling so the product sells it self, the special conventions & quick sales build self confidence, you earn good money, are given the ability to move up quickly. No door to door.

Cons

If you have a huge office & it seams like your office manager is always busy it is going to be a lot harder to stick with it & become successful. You are also required to purchase your sales kit (at a discounted price). You are forced to start by demonstrating to your family members & every demo requires word of mouth recommendations for your next sales lead, if people refuse to give you any recommendations you don't have a future lead.

Less is more

Scam job

I worked at Cutco full-time for more than a year

Pros

none. This job is a scam and this company will take advantage of you. The product is solid though.

Cons

everything. This job is a scam and this company will take advantage of you.

Try to get your soul back

In the words of one of my customers, Product = A, employees = B, work conditions= D-

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Cutco full-time for less than a year

Pros

The product itself is great, I bought (and won) myself a few of the knives and they work excellently! If you have a wide network of people and you like sales and making your own hours, then this is your type of job.

Cons

-lots of travel (you have to pay for your own gas and for the conferences)
    -have to "invest"/buy starter kit
    -lots of phoning
    -appointments are longer than the advertised hour (think double time at least)
    -more sales focused than people focused sometimes
    -paid either $15 or $17/appointment, or a percent commission on sales

I think that it's especially hard starting out when you have to make that initial investment. I had an awesome boss, but he himself was super busy and couldn't watch and help all of us at once, though he sure put in the effort. I think having more of a mentor ship would help improve work conditions, having the older help the newer sales reps and gain more ground.

Also, for events like conferences, you shouldn't require people to go and force them to pay for it as well. If a person chooses to go and they have to pay for it, that's different. Or if you decide to pay for them to go to a conference, that helps motivate people even more. This will especially help charge new hires and help them out getting involved in the team.

I may not be a salesman, but I know people well, and why you have great people and an amazing product, the work conditions are rough.

Initially good but annoying after a while

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Cutco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Creating you own hours
    Base pay of $15/hour
    Loaned out kit so you don't have to buy it right away
    Great knives... I plan to buy a set before I quit

Cons

MUST have car and drive everywhere
    No pay for driving time/gas
    After a while most people buy their own kit because they bug you so much about it if you're not making sales
    Training consists of one day showing you how to actually do stuff and the rest is just calling for hours on end which I find ridiculous... I faked most of my calls because I refuse to wake people up that early in the morning especially my family and friends
    They say you make your own hours but at least at my office they basically sat you down and pressured/guilted you into doing more hours that you may have wanted to
    A lot of micromanaging which is very tiring for me and mainly why I'm going to quit
    I hate bugging friends and family and it sucks that the company doesn't give you leads because a lot of people are very hesitant to give out other people's information
    They have a lot of "let's sit around and soak up each other's awesomeness" events so if you're into that then you'll probably get more out of this job than I did but to be honest I didn't think any of the people that I worked with had any awesomeness to soak up so I never wasted my time with them

Stop micromanaging everybody but be there when we actually need you

Experience for life

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Cutco as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-Base pay when nothing is sold
    -Starter kit loaner(seems that some people have to pay for it. I didnt. But I do have to return what I don't buy when contract is up/breeched)
    -Motivational
    -Provides very important life skills and experience
    -Fun work environment
    -Coworkers are a team
    -Product is as good as you're telling customers it is
    -You want to buy the product
    -Independent contracting, can claim a lot on taxes
    -If you put forth your best effort, study, You can succeed
    -Opprtunity to make a large sum of money

Cons

-They try to make the job seem easy. It's not.
    -Sales. Which means the more you push the more you make. Guilty feeling sometimes arises.
    -Manager makes more in commission then you do

Don't make anyone pay for their starter kits! Loan them.

Receptionist

Former Employee - Receptionist  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Miami, FL

I worked at Cutco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good hours. Easy job. Did not require much education. Nice facilities. Lunch Break. Job was very close to home. Learned a lot about customer service.

Cons

The job was very repetitive and boring. I did not believe what I was saying over the phone. I didn't know anything about the product. I didn't get any perks whatsoever.

Great company

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Cutco as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

They have unbelievable cutlery!! I really like all that they do for employees.

Cons

It's hard to understand appointment set up. I wish I got paid for the appointments I did set up.

Great management

Worked for Cutco? Contribute to the Community!