Cutera Reviews

Cutera President, CEO, and Director Kevin P. Connors
Kevin P. Connors

Tremendous Upside

I have been working at Cutera full-time

Pros

What can I say about Cutera? The company has tremendous upside. It has plans to continue expanding and achieving milestones. As a current employee of the company, I am well aware that the company is actively seeking talents for various departments to complement its growth.
    As a Finance personnel, the encouragement and dedication demonstrated by the Finance management have made me believe that management here is serious about nurturing talents and clear about the goals we are working together toward. One of the things I love about this company is the fact that the manufacturing floor is in the same building that I work in. Being able to connect so easily with personnel from various departments, especially the personnel on the manufacturing floor, is making my job that much more enjoyable and exciting.

Cons

The cafeteria could improve a bit more with more vending machines.

Sales Rep (ASM)

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER

I have been working at Cutera full-time

Pros

Cool technology even though none of the products are market leaders. Pretty good culture. You are given plenty of autonomy and sales reporting is reasonable. You get to drive around in a minivan and lug 180 lb lasers in and out of offices for product demonstrations. They give you a handy folding ramp to roll the lasers in and out of the minivan.

Cons

You work tirelessly to fill your pipeline and even when you do everything right, deals often evaporate. If you have a down quarter you can be put on a performance plan or even fired. This is a high risk/moderate reward job with extremely high turnover. All territories are given the same quota. That's right, Cutera completely disregards the fact that some territories have demographics that result in a higher consumption of laser procedures than others.

This is a highly competitive industry. Every company that makes lasers is going to the same customers and asking them to purchase its new equipment. Doctors can't buy everything and quickly become saturated with equipment. One of the huge misconceptions is that lasers are making their owners a lot of money. The majority of Medspas are struggling to keep the doors open and many core doctors are not pleased with the ROI their equipment provides.

The bottom line is that most reps are unable to consistently hit quota, are making way less money than they thought, and have no job security. As far as benefits go, Cutera passes the buck on health insurance. Be ready to chip in just under $1000 a month if you have a family. Besides health insurance, there are several other things that have convinced me this company is cheap.

As it relates to sales, the higher ups do not communicate a clear vision and do not have a clear business strategy to put the company in a leadership position. Cutera has not been able to turn a profit for quite some time and is losing money quarter after quarter. I wouldn't be surprised to see a merger or acquisition in the near future.

No trust, no future

I worked at Cutera

Pros

Good products- senior management appears friendly. Don't need to work very hard - no one does. Just settle in - hope for the best and pick up a salary while working 30 hours a week. Come in by 9 on Tuesdays because CEO is in for staff meeting. Work 10-2 on Fridays.

Cons

CEO is not engaged - works <30 hours a week, until he has his opinion and fires people. Complete lack of respect for people and families. This is not just his direct reports. I saw him demand the firing of an employee 4 levels below him on a whim. Just like the other posts say - there is no safe place in this company

Retire - stop manipulating the stock. It must be exhausting keeping track of the lies. Spend more time relaxing, having a drink and sailing - oh yea, you already do that!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Revolving Door

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Cutera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool building (reasonably) close to San Francisco, and some nice coworkers. Innovative products with great potential to help people with skin conditions, if the company can just put a plan together an stick with it for more than a week.

Cons

Constant restructurings, random firings, promotions, demotions and turnover cause employees to be more focused on duck-and-cover (and blame) than actually doing anything productive. It's chaos.

Stop restructuring/reorganizing/firing. Work with the plan and structure you have right now. I'm sure it's fine, and at least as good as the plan/structure you'll come up with next week.

Be advised

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cutera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Industry leading Technology and powerful devices

Cons

Poor management, starting right from the top down

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cutera full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good expense account, some good products, some really good people.

Cons

Immature management, high turnover, becoming the blackberrry of industry, poor marketing. They have in their employment policy the right to terminate without cause with 3 weeks pay and the managers often bring that up as a fear tactic.

Bullying is not a good motivator. Support, train and retain rather than belittle people. Have the maturity to see who is playing the game. Understand the nuances of different territories.

Aesthetic Sales Manager

Former Employee - Aesthetic Sales Manager  in  Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Aesthetic Sales Manager in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Cutera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent aesthetic equipment with recognized brand name

Cons

No loyalty whatsoever. Senior management plays favoritism. Sales force is constantly made blame for very poor management decisions. Worst corporate culture in 18 years of medical sales. Beware and steer clear of this company.

Learn how to maintain the real talent in the company. Learn how to make intelligent business decisions and treat employees with respect.

churn and burn through employees

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Cutera full-time

Pros

Fun products in aesthetics industry; close to San Francisco; some really nice people

Cons

No dedication to managers or employees; turnover, particularly in marketing and R&D; senior team works part-time; strategy on whim

Focus on profitability; Improve strategic decision making; treat people with respect

Lots of potential but they can't seem to get it together

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Cutera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some fantastic products and a great location to work. Proximity to San Francisco makes for a great commute.

Cons

Management is completely disorganized and not committed to their teams. There is no unified vision and the overall strategy is to constantly put out fires - It's an exhausting and unhealthy place to work.

Get it together!!

Worked for Cutera? Contribute to the Community!