Cuyahoga County Public Library

Robert W. Varley

Page at the library

Current Employee - Student Library Page  in  Fairview Park, OH
    Current Employee - Student Library Page in Fairview Park, OH

I have been working at Cuyahoga County Public Library part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The library has a wonderful atmosphere and friendly people. There's always something interesting going on and the tasks that one does as a page are wide and varied.

Cons

The hour maximum is 15, even if you are willing to work more. Not part of the decision making process as far as organizing the collection, though we have the most day to day contact with it.

The page hour maximum is far too low. It would be better to hire fewer pages and have them work more hours. It would create a more cheerful work environment if pages were allowed to make more decisions regarding displays and organization of the collection; currently the staff that is most familiar with the collection on a day to day basis is left out of the decision making process. It would also be nice to not have to worry about getting reprimanded if a patron approaches us with a question and we answer it.

Page at the Library

Current Employee - Student Library Page
    Current Employee - Student Library Page

Pros

Work around schedule, very friendly

Cons

Your opinions are not always valued, especially if younger

Upper Management Does Not Support Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cuyahoga County Public Library

Pros

If you happen to have a great supervisor (and that's a big "if"), then it can be a pleasure to work at a branch. If you have a nice clientele and good colleagues, it can be a very enjoyable job to work as a checkout clerk or at the reference desk. The pay is low compared to lots of other careers, but good compared to other library systems. There are many good benefits.

Cons

Even if you are a 16-hour per week employee, you are expected to be available whenever the library is open - they do not support you having another part time job. Your schedule can change weekly. Upper level management seems hellbent on getting rid of employees and going to a retail, self-service model which the public vehemently opposes. I used to like my job quite a bit; however, with the plans the clueless Board of Trustees has come up with (several on the board use their library cards very little or not at all), I am now considering leaving.

Cut the arrogance, and don't just give lip service to other employees. Listen to us - really listen - and take our suggestions seriously. We are the ones on the front lines, not you. There are other ways to save money in this tough economy than angering taxpayers by closing community branches. And, for goodness sake, please stop claiming you want to "Put Cuyahoga County Back To Work" when you're laying off your own people!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nationally known for service to customers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Parma, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parma, OH

I have been working at Cuyahoga County Public Library

Pros

Good benefits, good salary, satisfying work.

Cons

Not enough protection for staff in dangerous situations.

Better communiation.

A Good Place to Work for Librarians, but Not for Adult Pages & Clerks

Former Employee - Page
    Former Employee - Page

I worked at Cuyahoga County Public Library part-time for more than a year

Pros

The managers are all reasonable and caring toward the pages, and the schedules are very flexible to suit your needs. The people who work here are also all very nice! They worked very hard to accommodate students so they could be involved in activities with all the other kids, even on short notice.

Cons

You must start as a page. Promotions must happen after 2 years, and even then, you can only work as a sub until a position opens up--and believe me, they don't open up. Worse, they are hiring no more full-time workers to avoid expenses associated with the union. So, you have to average less that 15 hours a week, there is only one raise--you get it after 6 months, and you can only get out of the with luck and at least two years' time. Great in high school or during retirement where you want the quiet, easygoing atmosphere, but not for anyone with a family. But what can you do? Libraries are struggling.

Start hiring full-time employees again. While they cost a bit more, they work harder and want the job more than the High Schoolers, and in the end will be trained better and last several years longer. They're worth the cost. In my experience as a high school, part-time employee, the best workers on staff were the full-timers that hadn't been phased out, and they were as good as 2 or 3 of us kids.

Beautiful Experience

I have been working at Cuyahoga County Public Library

Pros

The best reasons to work at Cuyahoga County Public Library is for the relaxed feel, friendly co-workers and higher managment and awesome little benefits.

Cons

The downsides are the loud kids with no parents to watch them and how most co workers just gossip to each other than actually doing their work sometimes. Also when people decide to call off randomly making things tougher on harder days.

Worked for Cuyahoga County Public Library? Contribute to the Community!