Cvent

Updated November 25, 2014
4.0

Cvent Founder & CEO Reggie Aggarwal
Reggie Aggarwal

Pros
  • The senior management is very approachable (including the CEO) and transparent (in 23 reviews)

• I've been able to travel to our India office multiple times to train and mentor my colleagues (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is tilted heavily towards 'work' for most of the developers (in 20 reviews)

• Tight deadlines which leads to periods of long hours and stress (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

I like my job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, empowerment to do what need to be done. Cutting edge technology for new work. Ability to impact. Opportunities everywhere. Relatively easy to move around the company. Improving process.

Cons

Some older systems are a challenge to work with.

Improve benefits packages for people with families. Add 401k match. Vacation time (allow more rollover, increase amount on annual basis, rather than having to wait 5 years to get an extra week). Perhaps separate vacation and sick time.

Cvent is truly one of the best places to work in DC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time

Pros

Cvent is growing fast and that means lots of opportunities. Any one who puts their time in and works reasonably hard will get the opportunity to grow - I tell my friends that 99% of the companies can not offer the same type of opportunity to advance in your career. Cvent has created a real entrepreneurial culture. Cvent also invests more money in their new recruits that anyone in the area. If you are a recent college graduate, you go through cvent university (a 6-8 weeks training course before you actually start talking to customers). The company has literally sent 25% of its US staff that have been with the company for more than a few years to our office in Delhi - talk about a great opportunity to get international exposure. Most importantly, the company really cares for its people and tries very hard to create a great environment - for example, we just moved into some unbelievable office next to the Tyson's metro. Our management is very open and accessible and they really welcome feedback. the last thing I like most is they give stock to all their US employees so you feel like you are an owner.

Cons

The pace at the company is so fast that sometimes many of the employees do not get the overall strategy and direction of the company. We need to get 401k match - although I would not give up my stock options for it.

Overall, I am very happy at the company, but some improvements include; we have grown so much that it is tougher to get management's attention and we need more communication on what is going around the company. Overall I am a very happy employee - I have referred 4 friends and 3 of them are with the company and they say it the best company they have ever worked at.

Great Culture and High Growth

Current Employee - Sales in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good enviroment to learn straight out of college. Offers a great 6-8 week training when you first start to give you the foundation. Opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

Can feel like a fraternity at times. Although they dont force you feel like your supposed to work long hours. Company could offer better benefits in 401K

Growing company with great opportunities

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, interactive, young work environment and yet one where you are constantly learning and taking on major responsibilities too. Training for new positions runs for several weeks and makes sure you're starting on the right foot. Employees are friendly and they are happy to answer questions and collaborate on projects. If you're committed to the company, then you typically have the opportunity to take on new leadership responsibilities (or even shift into new departments) and grow your career quickly.

Cons

Wish we could get 401K matching and a few additional days of time off each year (although they seem to be consistent with comparable companies in the area). Traffic in the area makes for a tough driving commute.

Be ready to work for little money

Current Employee - Account Executive in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people and sometimes fun atmosphere. Lots of happy hours but not family friendly company.

Cons

Long hours
    Little training
    Will burn you out and just to friendly to those with families.

Simple. Don't be so cheap all of the time

Interesting experience

Former Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Cvent part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get exposed to the office environment. The work is pretty basic and routine, which also is boring, but it is good as a summer internship.

Cons

Not so friendly to be honest. No one acknowledges you and aren't given the opportunity to contribute ideas or suggestions to the employees. Supervisors are very quick at jumping to conclusions.

Value interns, and give them more meaningful work. Don't jump to assumptions without understanding full situation.

Great place to start your career

I have been working at Cvent

Pros

Great place to start your career. Lots of travel options, great training program, and plenty of opportunities for promotion.

Cons

Cap your commission, no 401K match

Legitimately very few limitations to Cvent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/Life balance, Positive Energetic Atmosphere,Cutting Edge technologies, Excellent Career Growth, Cool Office

Cons

They don't spend money just to spend it, which isn't a terrible thing but is reflected in avg. salaries

The main advice is to keep doing what they're doing for the most part. I took a 20% pay cut to come here. It was hard, but I hit a point in my career where money was less important than overall happiness. I wanted to be in an environment where people were competent, smart, but also had fun while they did their job. It was a hard and scary decision to join the team, but it's the best decision I've made professionally. I think the main room for improvement is continue thinking about more experienced talent, how to attract and keep people with a number of years' experience. I think management is doing this, but continue to keep the 20 somethings in mind as they become 30, 40 and beyond, meaning heftier retirement benefits and more family friendly policies. It does feel young which is actually one of the reasons I came aboard, to add some experience while being energized by up-and-comers here, but if there's any room for improvement, that's be it.

Finance Intern

I have been working at Cvent

Pros

flexible with schedule, great environment to work

Cons

No cons that I can think of

Do Not Read Reviews by Current Employees

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cvent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cvent pays Current Employees to write reviews. Look at the Ratings Trends after the company went public.....

Happy Hour
    Hooking Up

Cons

Management: 4 or so are good but everyone else sucks
    Salary: you will be paid low -- real low. An MBA was rejected for asking for 100K for salary and bonus
    Bonus: Management tells its managers to pay 50% of what's promised
    Culture: There is no such thing as intrapreneurship. They should say instead - work hard and we will take your idea.
    Hard to Get Fired:
    Bond: HR makes you sign a bond - if you leave before 2 years then you pay Cvent 15K
    Waiver: HR makes you sign a contract that says you can't say anything bad about the company or they will sue.
    Over age 25: You will never make it as a career
    Career Prospects: if you're over 24, you have no future here.
    Middle Management: A bunch of fools.