Cvent

Updated January 29, 2015
3.8

Cvent Founder & CEO Reggie Aggarwal
Reggie Aggarwal

Pros
  • The senior management is very approachable (including the CEO) and transparent (in 23 reviews)

• I've been able to travel to our India office multiple times to train and mentor my colleagues (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is tilted heavily towards 'work' for most of the developers (in 20 reviews)

• Tight deadlines which leads to periods of long hours and stress (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to build a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You might find another company with creative, whip-smart employees who are friendly and considerate to each other, but it won't be easy--and it still probably won't be as good asCvent! Cvent has truly cultivated a unique and enjoyable office culture that's conducive to putting out great work and growing professionally.

Cons

Work/Life balance is a little lopsided right now. The hours are long compared to the same type of positions at other companies. Add in a typical commute (taking into account the bad traffic in the DC metro area)

Keep up the good work!

Cvent Software Engineering Internship

I worked at Cvent

Pros

Manager was involved in helping the interns learn while providing real work for them to perform
    Possibility to work in teams
    Flexible projects to fit the desires of the interns

Cons

HR was a bit slow in getting back to me

Great products, friendly coworkers and room for growth

Current Employee - Strategic Accounts Team
    Current Employee - Strategic Accounts Team

I have been working at Cvent

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and helpful, office space in HQ is great (lots of free coffee and soda) and open concept, product is excellent and well respected in the industry

Cons

Training is intense and not for the faint of heart. The products are highly technical and requires either willingness to learn or some background.

Only work here if you need experience

Current Employee - Sales Representative in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent

Pros

Fun culture Events Fast advancement great training

Cons

Very long hours (they say 9-6:30, but it's more)
    Low pay
    Bad management
    Unreasonable expectations
    Change your compensation plan in the middle of the month/quarter
    Don't give you your outlined comp plan until you've already started the quarter/month....in some cases longer
    If you are a top performer, they raise your quota until it's almost unattainable
    Expect you to work from home on days with inclement weather, but don't provide laptops or phones to employees
    Make you sign a contract when you start the job saying that you will stay 2 years or owe them 7K if you leave earlier
    Your bonus is included in your On Target Earnings and they often try to get out of paying you what you are owed
    Ask employees to write positive Glassdoor reviews for them
    When you are promoted, it's almost entirely a change in title and very little change in compensation
    Often go against or retract what they initially say
    They openly explain that they hire talented recent college grads so that they can pay them lower than what they're worth and what their job entails

I would say, work here if you need experience and want fast career advancement on your resume, otherwise, go somewhere where you will be appropriately compensated for the hard work that you do.

Increase your pay
    Use a better screening process for your managers
    Value the talented people that you have in your company

Cvent review

I have been working at Cvent

Pros

Fun place to work
    Good Sales Training

Cons

long, long work hours.
    Success is measured by how many calls you make, not the business you bring in.

Change your metrics to reflect actual success.

Fun for college grads

I worked at Cvent

Pros

Great environment for recently graduated college students
    Great sales training program
    Good introduction into the industry and access to high-level prospects

Cons

Salary
    Low base pay, with low commissions
    Work-life balance is horrible - Days average 10 hours
    Very "metric" driven - sales reps are based on how many calls they can make in a day, not how successful they are

Cvent 1 year

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cvent is a real software shop in a place that doesnt have that exposure. Coding is one thing but they follow the rules of a publicly traded IT company.

Cons

The company is growing fast and there are challenges that come with sudden bursts. They make good hiring decisions but they may need more scrutiny in the near future.

Let the innovators run the overall direction until they can't keep up with the industry.

I like my job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, empowerment to do what need to be done. Cutting edge technology for new work. Ability to impact. Opportunities everywhere. Relatively easy to move around the company. Improving process.

Cons

Some older systems are a challenge to work with.

Improve benefits packages for people with families. Add 401k match. Vacation time (allow more rollover, increase amount on annual basis, rather than having to wait 5 years to get an extra week). Perhaps separate vacation and sick time.

Cvent is truly one of the best places to work in DC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time

Pros

Cvent is growing fast and that means lots of opportunities. Any one who puts their time in and works reasonably hard will get the opportunity to grow - I tell my friends that 99% of the companies can not offer the same type of opportunity to advance in your career. Cvent has created a real entrepreneurial culture. Cvent also invests more money in their new recruits that anyone in the area. If you are a recent college graduate, you go through cvent university (a 6-8 weeks training course before you actually start talking to customers). The company has literally sent 25% of its US staff that have been with the company for more than a few years to our office in Delhi - talk about a great opportunity to get international exposure. Most importantly, the company really cares for its people and tries very hard to create a great environment - for example, we just moved into some unbelievable office next to the Tyson's metro. Our management is very open and accessible and they really welcome feedback. the last thing I like most is they give stock to all their US employees so you feel like you are an owner.

Cons

The pace at the company is so fast that sometimes many of the employees do not get the overall strategy and direction of the company. We need to get 401k match - although I would not give up my stock options for it.

Overall, I am very happy at the company, but some improvements include; we have grown so much that it is tougher to get management's attention and we need more communication on what is going around the company. Overall I am a very happy employee - I have referred 4 friends and 3 of them are with the company and they say it the best company they have ever worked at.

Growing company with great opportunities

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, interactive, young work environment and yet one where you are constantly learning and taking on major responsibilities too. Training for new positions runs for several weeks and makes sure you're starting on the right foot. Employees are friendly and they are happy to answer questions and collaborate on projects. If you're committed to the company, then you typically have the opportunity to take on new leadership responsibilities (or even shift into new departments) and grow your career quickly.

Cons

Wish we could get 401K matching and a few additional days of time off each year (although they seem to be consistent with comparable companies in the area). Traffic in the area makes for a tough driving commute.