Cvent Reviews

Reset
3.6
Cvent Founder & CEO Reggie Aggarwal
Reggie Aggarwal

Pros
  • Great exposure to senior management (in 23 reviews)

• I also got the awesome experience to visit our India office in Gurgaon for 6 weeks which was an awesome experience (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Virtually no respect for work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Although they dont force you feel like your supposed to work long hours (in 26 reviews)

The Cvent Kool-Aid Will Getcha

Current Employee - Sales in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent

Pros

I've been working at Cvent for about a year, and prior to arriving put a good deal of thought in my decision to come on board with the company...as someone with a passion for events and people, I could not have made a better decision. The company culture here is outstanding - it's a young (but not too young, as many reviews from years back suggest on here), thriving, cutting edge tech company that's solidifying itself as the dominant force in a greenfield industry that's hip, cool and fun....that's not to say I like every person I work with, but I absolutely respect and admire the vast majority for their work ethic, creativity, integrity and industry savvy. This crucially includes senior management, who still continues to be accessible and warm despite continued growth. Cvent is also moving towards a model that previous SaaS companies have been successful with, adopting a customer-obsessed mentality/go-to-market strategy, while moving away from some of the archaic rules and practices that have kept it from being what one would call progressive in the past. They are hiring more experienced people from the outside, particularly in critical leadership positions. This is a "good" company on the verge of being a "great" one, if Cvent continues to grow and more importantly, evolve as an enterprise.

Cons

At least on most of the teams (particularly sales and marketing) it's a serious grind. Not at all for the shy, faint of heart or those lacking competitive drive and self-motivation. The customers -mostly event planners and marketers- can be some of the most wonderful or the most terrible people you'll ever have to do business with. While not unique to Cvent/SaaS, the sales cycles can be exceedingly long and the end of each quarter feels like a throw back to finals week in college. Many people can handle this, but those who cave under a sales bravado driven environment should not pursue a career here. Work/life balance is something they're doing more to promote and encourage, but it's very difficult to reconcile with the level of expectation placed on us. I tend to work at least 10-15 hours more a week than the 9-6:30 day, and this is not unique. Attrition at lower level positions is a problem that needs to, and can be addressed by hiring more qualified people, paying and training them better.

Advice to Management

Lack of 401K match is STILL a major point of contention...Reggie, we love you, but it's conditional. It's the year 2015 and a company with a $1B market cap CAN afford to take better care of its most important assets, as you always make clear are it's people. Also, please amend the misguided policy about remote work/wfh and having a minimum of three years at Cvent HQ to having a minimum of three years professional employment with a good track record. This is a paradigm shift many companies made years ago, and will open the doors to hiring the kind of workers that continually raise the bar...as well as keep your office/parking costs down.

Good for College Grads

I worked at Cvent

Pros

Overall a great company , C-Levels , VP's are great people

Cons

Feels like HS/College needs to get more mature

Advice to Management

Get rid of management that are questionable or have had complaints against them

Good to gain experience, not as long term career

Current Employee - Technology
    Current Employee - Technology

I have been working at Cvent full-time

Pros

Good work atmosphere and good coworkers. Company outings are well organized. New technology to work with. The weeks seem to fly by (which could be good or bad depending on situation).

Cons

Long work days 9 hours minimum, without lunch included in that time frame. Some managers claim flexibility with schedule, but don't really understand what that means. Not a lot of things made clear to you, kind of have to go scavenger hunting for answers that are accurate. Not a lot of organization, directions or resolutions always come to "that's how it has worked,we won't make it better until someone notices." That sort of attitude is not a healthy way of keeping clients happy long term. Lower pay for more experienced individuals compared to other software companies.

Advice to Management

Please find an accurate definition of the "flexibility" you offer in schedules and make sure it is understood across the board. Organization and improving existing poor design/process are going to be keys to long term success. Lack of 401k and lower salaries are going to hurt the retaining of good talent. As people see more tech companies offer them higher pay and retirement plans, they won't think twice about making a job switch.

A good last possible option

Former Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Cvent full-time

Pros

- Good comradery; you'll make long-term friends - Heavily recruit new college graduates, gives an opportunity to those without prior work experience - Removed their 2 year binding agreement (which wasn't binding to start with)

Cons

Most of the positive reviews I've read here are hilarious. They sound like something straight out of one of our "motivational" meetings. The reality is that the Cvent business model is still heavily reliant on underpaying young professionals and motivating individuals with ridiculous rhetoric rather than actual benefits. Sadly, a lot of the hires are extremely inexperienced and accept bullying behavior from managers and a lack of resources as normal. In all fairness though, you will be encouraged to offer your opinions on how to improve processes. Unfortunately, it seems managers only ask for this input so they can "objection-handle" you and prove that everything works fine. A manager once LITERALLY used the phrase "This is just how it's done" in an email to justify a process that was completely inefficient. The sales and marketing team at Cvent has HUGE turnover problems. What ultimately ends up happening is that talent gets fed up of trying to improve things and leaves, while the incompetent stay and rise in the ranks. In my experience, a rather representative example of the problems at Cvent was compensation incentives. When a team was successful and consistently exceeded quota through hard work and extra hours, you know how they were compensated? Their quota was increased, but their pay was kept the same. In other words, for every dollar they brought into the company, they now made less for it. If you can't get another job out of college, start at Cvent. Otherwise, you might want to look at other options.

Advice to Management

Don't expect loyalty from your best employees if you aren't willing to truly invest in them. People under you are a lot smarter than you think and the coupling of your motivational talks with the lack of actual meaningful change is patronizing and creates resentment. Bring in a management consulting team because clearly Cvent cannot fix itself from the inside.

Product consultant

I worked at Cvent

Pros

Good environment, great technology, good salary

Cons

Contract to quit, heavy work

Advice to Management

Nothing

The boat is rising but always rocking

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Cvent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entertaining work environment, Travel opportunities, New office, great location for Metro commuters, growing work force. Great job to gain experience in b2b sales and move on to a more professional company. Open access to senior management.

Cons

Poor management, lack of manager training, continued turn over past the 2 year tenure mark, low entry pay level, frat house mentality from a very young workforce, extensive but unnecessary initial training, no 401k but substituted with Stock Options that most will never see the benefits of. asked to "manage" a presales but have no control over their work life. Asked to be out spoken and involved but shamed when you make waves with managements "process"

Advice to Management

Fire the managers that are costing you personnel. They have been complained about for years and are the reason you continue to lose support. Tenure does not equate to qualified managers. Increase the range of pay from top performers to bottom performers. focus 80% of your time on the top 20% of people. reduce unnecessary meetings, trainings, and emails and allow your team to sell your products.

8. sales review

I have been working at Cvent full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, awesome people, great training

Cons

Long hours and call volume, especially when you are first getting started

High growth company = personal career growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing, which means you get to solve problems and innovate daily. Your reward is the opportunity to grow your skillset and career quickly. A good balance of a professional environment and somewhere where you enjoy spending your work day. No one takes themselves too seriously. New hire and additional equity grants as you build tenure. Fun team and company events on a regular basis. Compensation is good.

Cons

Most work days are very busy but on the flip side, the weeks seem to fly by. Growing pains of a fast growth company that's also acquiring other companies. Internal communications aren't always timely.

Advice to Management

Advance your leaders and continue to find creative ways to keep your good ones. As the company grows, these people will become more and more critical.

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cvent is a fast paced, fast growing company. There is a lot of room to grow and you will learn a lot if you're motivated. The perks have definitely improved over the years as well.

Cons

I don't really have any specific complaints. There are times when something doesn't go the way I might like but in general I enjoy working here and I really like the people that I work with.

Advice to Management

Keep improving. I've seen a shift in attention to talent retention over the last few years and I appreciate that. We grew fast into a big company and there were some growing pains but you guys are doing a good job adapting.

Certainly one of the best career decisions ever!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in India, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in India, TX

I have been working at Cvent (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning has never stopped here at Cvent. The company truly does place the employees first. Amazing product lines. Cutting edge technology and a fast paced work atmosphere. Good pay, great benefits and repute for working for such a brand are all extra perks that come along the much bigger picture which personally for me are, great and friendly co-workers who are always willing to help when needed. Top boss, Reggie, is truly someone who inspires many and in all genuinity treats the company like his child. All in all, waking hours spent here are never dull.

Cons

Transport service could go up a notch. Old school models and makes for cabs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency.

RSS Feed </> Embed