Cvent

Updated December 16, 2014
3.9

Cvent Founder & CEO Reggie Aggarwal
Reggie Aggarwal

Pros
  • The senior management is very approachable (including the CEO) and transparent (in 23 reviews)

• I've been able to travel to our India office multiple times to train and mentor my colleagues (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is tilted heavily towards 'work' for most of the developers (in 20 reviews)

• Tight deadlines which leads to periods of long hours and stress (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great first job with a ton of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest pro for Cvent is the corporate culture. It is a very young office so it's practically impossible not to make friends which makes the workplace very enjoyable.
    Cvent also places an enormous amount of responsibility on you from the get-go which gives you a sense of pride when working. This also leads to quick growth (in both title and salary) and opportunities. Even though I've only worked at the company for under 2 years, I already manage my own clients, manage my own schedule, and traveled to Cvent's India office to train Indian colleagues for a full 6 weeks (all expenses paid). Additionally, I travel to client's offices as well for onsite trainings but it's not an overbearing amount.
    All-in-all I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here and the culture makes this place a great first job and transition from the college experience.

Cons

The company is very young (many just out of college) so working with all young people can lead to a loud and relaxed workplace (may not be for everyone). The hours are also on the longer side as the company is growing very quickly so there is a ton of work to be done. You must be a flexible and easily adaptable person because there is a lot of learning and thinking on the fly (again due to the rapid growth).

Cvent has a lot to offer, all you need is a good attitude and energy when you come to work

Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working with Cvent for more than 4 years now. This is my first experience to work with a product based company.

The company has been adding lot of new tools to its tech stack which gives a great chance for people to learn new tools. There are projects in pipeline which makes the job very stable. The kind of projects assigned helps in personal and professional development. There are opportunities given to employees of every level to sharpen their communication as well as technical skills. Different Trainings are arranged for new as well as current employees.

The work environment is good and makes the work life enjoyable and fun. There are several team building activities which are arranged at team, department and company level. It is work hard, party harder attitude which makes people happy and contended. Everyone in the company is friendly and energetic.

Senior management is reachable and is willing to listen to ideas and suggestions from everyone irrespective of the position of the employee in company hierarchy. Management recognizes good performers and no one’s work goes unnoticed. There are department and company awards/incentives given to employees.

Cons

No 401K matching
    Seating problems but will resolve once we move to new office space

I know we are going through challenge of tremendous growth, please preserve the Cvent culture that we always had.

GIVE TO GET - You have a chance to be remarkable!

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your Voice - IT MEANS SOMETHING here! If you've had a chance to watch the "Why I Work at Cvent" video on YouTube, you may remember a quote that stated something like, "It's simple...all you have to do is show up and you have a chance to do something great everyday." IT IS SO TRUE!! Most organizations I can imagine aren't so willing to allow someone who has been in the role 6 weeks, 6 months or even 1 year voice an opinion at the round table. Cvent has done such an amazing job inspiring their people to believe that it's as simple as...if you have an idea, then SHARE IT! If it works, you'll roll with it! If it doesn't, we'll tweak it and provide feedback as a group to figure out how we can make it work.

Mobility - It's no joke when you read these (positive) reviews about Cvent and see people talking about advancement within the organization. Retention IS important to this company, and one of the ways that is done is through mobility both vertically and laterally. If you're coming in every day and you're giving it your all (e.g. voicing your opinions, bringing ideas to the drawing board, helping others when that doesn't always mean helping yourself, positioning yourself as a leader to your peers, etc.), then there is NO way that behavior doesn't go unnoticed by your managers and others within the company. It happens all the time that someone is promoted in the organization for this very behavior. But it's not always about the promotion! Sometimes, it's about lateral movement to get to that role that fits you perfectly so that from there you can continue to move vertically. What I mean by this is, some people start at the company working on one specific product, or within one specific division, but once they find their calling they can then transfer to that same/similar role within another product OR into an entirely new role within another division. Beyond this kind of movement, the company is creating new roles all of the time! As a rapidly expanding organization, they are finding needs to build new positions left and right!

Fast Growing - BUT that does NOT mean that you're considered just a number or a body here. This company actually wants you to be a part of the growth as a force impacting a change or contributing to the success. It is really exciting to be a part of a company that is taking the industry by storm. They're expanding their products to become not only B2B (as they have always been historically), but they're noticing a shift in the industry and are also acquiring and building products that are tailored to the B2C industry.

Travel - A lot of companies are doing more and more every year to give their employees an opportunity to travel the world. This company does a remarkable job at noticing strong talent and rewarding them with this privilege. Whether you're on the road to a luncheon seminar, a tradeshow, or maybe across the US and the globe to visit one of our many offices, there is opportunity there!

Cons

Work/Life Balance - I only write this in the "Cons" section because as it stands today, improvement here is a work in progress. There is a stigma that has been created overtime that long hours are a must in order to be recognized, in order to make money, etc. Leadership and management are doing all they can to eliminate this stigma, because frankly IT'S NOT TRUE! Cvent does such an amazing job at providing an environment that gets you pumped up every day, but sometimes that comes at the cost of thinking (thinking = stigma, not necessarily reality) that once you've hit your mark for the day, that you still should stay maybe 30 or 60 minutes later so you don't appear to be the first one out the door. This is just plain silly. And here is why...

I would bet that most organizations I would walk in the front door at won't have the amenities or offerings that Cvent would provide to keep things fun and energetic (e.g. ping pong table, free coffee/soda, catered lunches for meetings, insanely fun happy hours, etc.). And that is by no means an excuse or an offering to make up for the fact that the hours can be long (perceptually or otherwise), but the point here is that YOU must believe that between when you get in and leave, the work you are doing is making an impact. So if it's the end of the day, and you ask yourself, "did I give it 100%, 95% or maybe even 90% today," if the answer to any of those questions is NO, then I can see why people FEEL they must stay longer to make up for that additional work.

- Continue to LISTEN to your people and make change where/when necessary.
    - Keep up with other competitors and what they're offering new hires for compensation
    - Stay strong with the values that this organization was built on (you've already done such a great job not losing this when the company went public)
    - Be a driving force of the work/life balance concept! The behavior must start with you in order for it to make a change.

Cvent fosters growth in every employee

Current Employee - Assistant Team Lead in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Lead in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cvent provides you with a career path and helps you set goals and priorities for you to reach the next level. Management gives you so much responsibility for the get-go and encourages you to be entrepreneurial. Working at Cvent gives you a sense of belonging and pride.

Cons

Cvent typically hires entry-level people right out of college and the day-to-day can sometimes feel fraternity/sorority-esque.

Young, fun company with great culture and lots of opportunity for personal growth/experience

Current Employee - Product Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work culture and sense of community - have great work parties/happy hours. Lots of opportunity for someone right out of college, if you take advantage. People who are driven and work hard are rewarded. Have been able to travel nationally to client offices and spend 6-8 weeks at India office for training. Cvent went public 8/9/2013 and experiencing growth in software/mobile industries, very interesting to learn about the busines. Lots of learning afforded and ample training for new hires

Cons

Compensation doesn't increase in correlation to responsibilities/tenure. You might not find a few things from HR in terms of 401k/benefits. If you don't take action to make people know how you're doing, can get lost in the shuffle. Could see improvement in work flexibility - hours and home/office working.

A place of opportunity

Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is experiencing rapid growth which gives everyone a chance to move up and take more responsibility. I was hired for the Software Support Engineer position coming out of college and I never imagined how much I would learn or how much I could contribute to a company's success. It's a truly well rounded and rewarding position. In my five years at the company, I have been promoted twice, which really shows that hard work does not go unnoticed by management.

My role puts me in frequent contact with every technology team as well as other departments around the company. As a result, this role provides great exposure to the software development life cycle, infrastructure troubleshooting and support, software debugging, and even project management. This makes the position ideal for new college graduates.

The Cvent culture is great. Almost everyone is understanding and approachable, which makes it much easier to work through complex problems. Another plus is that I can wear jeans to work and they have free coffee and tea in the break rooms.

Cons

Because the company is growing so fast, balancing work and life can be tough. You definitely have to stay organized to be on top of your game. Most technology teams are hiring but it's hard to find good people to fill the spots, so existing employees are stretched thin at some points.

Hire more people. With a company growing as fast as Cvent, we need people to expand and scale out (and also give existing employees a little break).

Great growth company with lots of advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair compensation with uncapped earnings potential in Sales. Great company culture with young but very smart coworkers. Very approachable CEO and Senior Management.

Cons

Work/Life balance can suffer a bit.

Continue to promote from within. Do more for employee retention.

Excellent people in a rewarding work environment - great place to start your career.

Current Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cvent has been a great fit for me. For my first job out of college, I wanted to work somewhere that would give me as much experience as I could handle out-of-the-gate. Cvent delivered.

I've had many opportunities to grow myself and my career while working at Cvent. I've been able to travel to our India office multiple times to train and mentor my colleagues. I've also gotten to work on many projects outside of my job role relating to integrating systems, reporting, and internal process improvement.

My colleagues are all extremely smart and capable - there are no weak links slowing everyone down. It's a great culture that drives excellence in every role. Good ideas are respected and acted upon no matter the source.

Overall it's been a great experience that will stay exciting and challenging as we continue to rapidly expand and scale.

Cons

The major cons are:
    1) Slightly below market starting salary that gets better after performance is proven
    2) No 401k match
    3) Being perpetually busy and challenged means long hours

Management overall is excellent. They are in their positions through expert knowledge rather than seniority and continue to be accessible to their employees. There is little sense of rank or politics within the technology department making it easy to succeed.

Fantastic place to grow professionally

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cvent lets me build my career and show my chops to a management team that will actually listen to what I am doing. I like that we all work toward a common goal that is clearly laid out. Cvent is a group of young people trying to change how we do business in the travel space, and Cvent lets me contribute directly without oversight

Cons

It's a work-hard, play-hard type of place. If you are looking for a 9-5 government job, this place is not for you. I wish the senior management would take a few steps back each quarter and give employees a better idea of what is going on and what the vision is for the company.

Keep tabs on the ground level as the company grows. Your success is attributed to your ability to keep a strong pulse on what is happening, so don't lose that ability as we get bigger.

Don't believe the lies.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First of all, let me tell you that almost every single review posted up here in incorrect. HR at Cvent has tons of glassdoor accounts and they come leave these fake reviews.

The only real pro of working here is you get to wear jeans to work every day.

Cons

Horrible hours. Virtually no respect for work life balance. The benefits suck and don't show signs of improving. Cvent thinks they are competitive with other companies in the area, but the real truth is the pay sucks, the benefits suck, and they only care about you as an employee as far as how much work you can produce for them. You won't have a true manager dedicated to your career here - they all are not accountable for anything you do and will stab you in the back the first chance they get. Do not work here.

Show that you care about your employees. And realize that you don't offer any more money than any other company in the area, that your training program is non-existent for non-sales divisions, and that sooner or later you will have to start 401k matching programs. Don't go on and on thanking us for our hard work and boasting about profits, but then refusing to invest in your employees in a meaningful way. What worked for a 500 person company does not work for a 2000 person company and you need to realize that and adapt.