Cvent

Updated January 26, 2015
3.8

Cvent Founder & CEO Reggie Aggarwal
Reggie Aggarwal

Pros
  • The senior management is very approachable (including the CEO) and transparent (in 23 reviews)

• I've been able to travel to our India office multiple times to train and mentor my colleagues (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is tilted heavily towards 'work' for most of the developers (in 20 reviews)

• Tight deadlines which leads to periods of long hours and stress (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Like Everything, it has its ups and downs. Mostly downs

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discredit the bulk of the reviews post April 2014, they were clearly encouraged to be written and are not consistent with the reviews prior. I will give you the truth:

Pros:
    Young culture- you will be surrounded by young college grads who still like to party and get drunk Thurs-Sun. This can be fun. Trust me.

Happy hours- to appeal to this young culture, happy hours are often and big. It will not be convenient for you if you do not live in or near Cvent's headquarters as Happy Hours are typically on weekdays and afterwork, making it difficult to get home if you partake. If you do not live in or near McLean and not up for crashing on a coworkers couch during the week, you will not get to enjoy these Happy Hours. For you, these will be Sad Hours. Sorry

Attire and atmosphere- considering this is a "tech" company, you can wear whatever you want for the most part. I don't mean as slack as sweatpants and a hoodie, although some jokesters do do this. There is ping pong on some floors which is neat, but a definite distraction. Don't feel bad for playing, they encourage it as it's provided.

Cons

Cons:
    Young culture- while young culture is a positive, it is also as much, if not more, of a negative. While your teammates are young, so are your managers. This is cool and as you can relate with them, but their lack of experience in a managerial roles (remember they are quite young themselves) will show.

Walking the floors of Cvent is much like walking the halls of a high school. Pathetic gossip is constant and the immaturity is tiring. With this said, I'm not suggesting a desire of a stuffy environment over a "fun" environment.

Pay- you will spend 10+hrs in the office a day without receiving overtime. While you will be spending more time in the office than most of your other friends in other industries, you will most likely be making less.

401K- you will not receive a 401k. Why? Because they know retirement isn't atop of the young-guns' minds they hire and, therefore, why not skimp? Oh, they also claimed stock options were offered in replace of a 401k. Stock that later split 4-1, decreasing it's value by a good 75%.

Sick days- you will receive no sick days. Why? Because you can use your vacation days for that.

Seating- the floor is bullpen style and much like a farm. You are desk to desk with everyone, with no walls to hang things on or dividers for privacy and noise block. I totally get the open floor plan; after-all, all tech companies are doing it, but when you have 300 sales people that are required to make 60 calls a day, it is very distracting.

Managers- depending on your senior manager, you may hardly speak with them, or see them for that matter. They are pretty far removed and never meet one on one. Frequently they will address an issue or congratulate though email. Whoopie!

Vacation etc.- you will get 13-15 days PTO and no National Holidays Jan-May. You will not get MLK, Presidents Day, Easter and various other holidays that the rest of the nation gets. If the weather is horrific, Cvent has a reputation of not caring, and thus forcing you to come in after 10in of snow or icy weather.

Cvent is in an interesting position. They founded the company with this young 'culture' in mind in order to keep energy high and pay low. Cvent recruits top talent, but pays peanuts. Having gone public recently, retaining top talent is absolutely crucial as growth and impressing Wall Street is at the top of the to-do list. Yet the churn rate is very high due to the reasons above.

To be completely fair, Cvent is a fun time and there are some extremely smart people there who will inspire and educate you. It is a good place to start your career, bur you will start to feel a bit lost and cheated as time passes. The majority of employees do not enjoy their jobs, but that is not saying much among the American work force.

Your employees are everything and offering the bare minimum simply won't cut it if you want to retain them. When you pay peanuts, you will get monkeys.

Perfect company to work for right out of college with lots of opportunities for career advancement.

Current Employee - Client Services
    Current Employee - Client Services

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Definitely a work hard, play hard culture - you'll work long hours, but there is always an exciting company sponsored event right around the corner!
    -Great People! Everyone is kind, hard working and motivated. Some of your co-workers will become lifelong friends.
    -Your managers want you to succeed
    -You learn helpful communication and time management skills that you can use in any career
    -Travel opportunities for onsite trainings

Cons

- two year commitment

Great company culture, but leadership needs improvement

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work - young, dynamic, challenging

Cons

Leadership. Especially in HR. No work-life balance. Some employees are underpaid and all are overworked.

Pay your employees better, and create a healthier work-life balance

Cvent has a lot to offer, all you need is a good attitude and energy when you come to work

Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working with Cvent for more than 4 years now. This is my first experience to work with a product based company.

The company has been adding lot of new tools to its tech stack which gives a great chance for people to learn new tools. There are projects in pipeline which makes the job very stable. The kind of projects assigned helps in personal and professional development. There are opportunities given to employees of every level to sharpen their communication as well as technical skills. Different Trainings are arranged for new as well as current employees.

The work environment is good and makes the work life enjoyable and fun. There are several team building activities which are arranged at team, department and company level. It is work hard, party harder attitude which makes people happy and contended. Everyone in the company is friendly and energetic.

Senior management is reachable and is willing to listen to ideas and suggestions from everyone irrespective of the position of the employee in company hierarchy. Management recognizes good performers and no one’s work goes unnoticed. There are department and company awards/incentives given to employees.

Cons

No 401K matching
    Seating problems but will resolve once we move to new office space

I know we are going through challenge of tremendous growth, please preserve the Cvent culture that we always had.

GIVE TO GET - You have a chance to be remarkable!

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your Voice - IT MEANS SOMETHING here! If you've had a chance to watch the "Why I Work at Cvent" video on YouTube, you may remember a quote that stated something like, "It's simple...all you have to do is show up and you have a chance to do something great everyday." IT IS SO TRUE!! Most organizations I can imagine aren't so willing to allow someone who has been in the role 6 weeks, 6 months or even 1 year voice an opinion at the round table. Cvent has done such an amazing job inspiring their people to believe that it's as simple as...if you have an idea, then SHARE IT! If it works, you'll roll with it! If it doesn't, we'll tweak it and provide feedback as a group to figure out how we can make it work.

Mobility - It's no joke when you read these (positive) reviews about Cvent and see people talking about advancement within the organization. Retention IS important to this company, and one of the ways that is done is through mobility both vertically and laterally. If you're coming in every day and you're giving it your all (e.g. voicing your opinions, bringing ideas to the drawing board, helping others when that doesn't always mean helping yourself, positioning yourself as a leader to your peers, etc.), then there is NO way that behavior doesn't go unnoticed by your managers and others within the company. It happens all the time that someone is promoted in the organization for this very behavior. But it's not always about the promotion! Sometimes, it's about lateral movement to get to that role that fits you perfectly so that from there you can continue to move vertically. What I mean by this is, some people start at the company working on one specific product, or within one specific division, but once they find their calling they can then transfer to that same/similar role within another product OR into an entirely new role within another division. Beyond this kind of movement, the company is creating new roles all of the time! As a rapidly expanding organization, they are finding needs to build new positions left and right!

Fast Growing - BUT that does NOT mean that you're considered just a number or a body here. This company actually wants you to be a part of the growth as a force impacting a change or contributing to the success. It is really exciting to be a part of a company that is taking the industry by storm. They're expanding their products to become not only B2B (as they have always been historically), but they're noticing a shift in the industry and are also acquiring and building products that are tailored to the B2C industry.

Travel - A lot of companies are doing more and more every year to give their employees an opportunity to travel the world. This company does a remarkable job at noticing strong talent and rewarding them with this privilege. Whether you're on the road to a luncheon seminar, a tradeshow, or maybe across the US and the globe to visit one of our many offices, there is opportunity there!

Cons

Work/Life Balance - I only write this in the "Cons" section because as it stands today, improvement here is a work in progress. There is a stigma that has been created overtime that long hours are a must in order to be recognized, in order to make money, etc. Leadership and management are doing all they can to eliminate this stigma, because frankly IT'S NOT TRUE! Cvent does such an amazing job at providing an environment that gets you pumped up every day, but sometimes that comes at the cost of thinking (thinking = stigma, not necessarily reality) that once you've hit your mark for the day, that you still should stay maybe 30 or 60 minutes later so you don't appear to be the first one out the door. This is just plain silly. And here is why...

I would bet that most organizations I would walk in the front door at won't have the amenities or offerings that Cvent would provide to keep things fun and energetic (e.g. ping pong table, free coffee/soda, catered lunches for meetings, insanely fun happy hours, etc.). And that is by no means an excuse or an offering to make up for the fact that the hours can be long (perceptually or otherwise), but the point here is that YOU must believe that between when you get in and leave, the work you are doing is making an impact. So if it's the end of the day, and you ask yourself, "did I give it 100%, 95% or maybe even 90% today," if the answer to any of those questions is NO, then I can see why people FEEL they must stay longer to make up for that additional work.

- Continue to LISTEN to your people and make change where/when necessary.
    - Keep up with other competitors and what they're offering new hires for compensation
    - Stay strong with the values that this organization was built on (you've already done such a great job not losing this when the company went public)
    - Be a driving force of the work/life balance concept! The behavior must start with you in order for it to make a change.

An incredible company culture that fosters personal growth, opportunity, and valuable experience.

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cvent has provided me with endless opportunities to further my career and gain valuable experience. I received a promotion after 18 months with the company, traveled to India for 6 weeks within 2 years at the company, and represented Cvent throughout DC, Chicago, San Diego, New York City, and Las Vegas all within one year. All Cvent employees wear many hats by participating in recruitment and interviewing and internal training and development initiatives in addition to the day-to-day tasks.

The culture is unlike any other company you will see - I genuinely enjoy coming into the office each day to work with clients and colleagues alike.

Cons

Could see improvements in 401k benefits, competitive salaries, and home/office flexibility.

I'm happy with my job and I am proud to say I work for Cvent

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance and excellent culture
    Plenty of room for growth
    Great opportunities for internal transfers if you're not happy with your current position in current department.
    Management is respectful and cares about your opinion and growth within the company. They can also be very flexible to anyone's situations in regards to time off and schedules. Definitely a great place to start a career and build your resume. I think it's well worth staying past the 2 year contract.

Cons

No 401k matching and 2 year contract

Great first job with a ton of opportunities

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro for Cvent is the corporate culture. It is a very young office so it's practically impossible not to make friends which makes the workplace very enjoyable.
    Cvent also places an enormous amount of responsibility on you from the get-go which gives you a sense of pride when working. This also leads to quick growth (in both title and salary) and opportunities. Even though I've only worked at the company for under 2 years, I already manage my own clients, manage my own schedule, and traveled to Cvent's India office to train Indian colleagues for a full 6 weeks (all expenses paid). Additionally, I travel to client's offices as well for onsite trainings but it's not an overbearing amount.
    All-in-all I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here and the culture makes this place a great first job and transition from the college experience.

Cons

The company is very young (many just out of college) so working with all young people can lead to a loud and relaxed workplace (may not be for everyone). The hours are also on the longer side as the company is growing very quickly so there is a ton of work to be done. You must be a flexible and easily adaptable person because there is a lot of learning and thinking on the fly (again due to the rapid growth).

A place of opportunity

Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is experiencing rapid growth which gives everyone a chance to move up and take more responsibility. I was hired for the Software Support Engineer position coming out of college and I never imagined how much I would learn or how much I could contribute to a company's success. It's a truly well rounded and rewarding position. In my five years at the company, I have been promoted twice, which really shows that hard work does not go unnoticed by management.

My role puts me in frequent contact with every technology team as well as other departments around the company. As a result, this role provides great exposure to the software development life cycle, infrastructure troubleshooting and support, software debugging, and even project management. This makes the position ideal for new college graduates.

The Cvent culture is great. Almost everyone is understanding and approachable, which makes it much easier to work through complex problems. Another plus is that I can wear jeans to work and they have free coffee and tea in the break rooms.

Cons

Because the company is growing so fast, balancing work and life can be tough. You definitely have to stay organized to be on top of your game. Most technology teams are hiring but it's hard to find good people to fill the spots, so existing employees are stretched thin at some points.

Hire more people. With a company growing as fast as Cvent, we need people to expand and scale out (and also give existing employees a little break).

Cvent fosters growth in every employee

Current Employee - Assistant Team Lead in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Lead in McLean, VA

I have been working at Cvent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cvent provides you with a career path and helps you set goals and priorities for you to reach the next level. Management gives you so much responsibility for the get-go and encourages you to be entrepreneurial. Working at Cvent gives you a sense of belonging and pride.

Cons

Cvent typically hires entry-level people right out of college and the day-to-day can sometimes feel fraternity/sorority-esque.