CyberDefender

CyberDefender Interim CEO & CFO Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris

Sham of a company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsA lot of cool people.

ConsPoorly managed. Basically a scam to get money from computer illiterate people.

Failed Company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNo leadership, no company values, poor benefits.

ConsNo annual reviews and no salary increases, poor management, no interesting or challenging projects, dirty workplace, benefits that were granted on a hiring date (ex. 401K plan) were delayed for years for no reason. It's a challenge to obtain an equipment needed for work (i.e. new computers, a secondary display, or a memory card extension). Poor facilities, bad Internet connection, etc.

Do not work for

Level II Tech (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCo-workers are awesome to work with!

ConsDirty workplace/workstation; C-level is out for themselves and do not know day to day operations at lower levels; there is no standard, there are groups and shifts but even within groups/shifts rules/procedures vary. Politics are high so if you know how to mingle and play the game, you can make it to a supervisor position; sales department straight up lie, software is fraud

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to being a private company - you showed more care for employees and everything in general was a lot smoother then

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boom to bust with maximum fallout

Tech Support Lead (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe staff themselves were experienced and well managed. Everyone worked well within their department and with other departments.

ConsThe executive management segregated themselves from their staff to the point where there was no knowledge of the day-to-day operations. They focused on expensive advertising and using the incoming revenue for their own means.

Advice to Senior Management...

Great opportunity, poor C-level management

Call Center (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosgreat product and service that people really need (e.g. remote technical support on your PC)

Consnepotism; management doesn't listen to the people they've hired to be experts in their field; C-level WAY over their head and no public company experience

Advice to Senior Managementlisten and don't think you know all the answers yourselves...because you don't.

A learning experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThere's a lot of smart people at the company, who work very hard. You will probably learn a lot working here.

ConsCompany might not be in business (at least in it's current form) much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovements in the software need to happen much more rapidly.

It was great at first, but then management change everything and took sales as a priority

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prossome pro's included not working very hard when we get a case for simply installing their antivirus software on a machine.

ConsManagement and sales would often say that their tech support are Microsoft certified and that we could fix anything. Sales would also lie about anything to get a customer

Advice to Senior Managementshow tech support more respect then you show your sales agents.

Total Dissapointment

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsStartup, High Pressue, Fast Paced and Lack of Structure might appeal to those looking for some flexibility in how they perform their jobs. There are no reviews, tracking or accountability, so if you are looking to escape, good at playing politics, but not producing, you might be able to get away with a lot.

ConsThere is no real accountability. You are sort of at the whim of your superiors. Every group is different, but generally management is very poorly trained and improperly picked.

Advice to Senior ManagementA clearing from the top-down would be the best way to ensure that proper professional management practices are put into effect. All new upper management is the key.

Meh.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsPay appears to be reasonable.

Cons- Total chaos. Projects you work on often get scrapped at the last minute
    - Most of the management appear to lack technical knowledge
    - The blame culture rules here; before we fix a problem, make sure we know who to blame.

Don't work here. Seriously.

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI can't speak for the other departments in the company, so chances are it's not nearly as dysfunctional outside the engineering teams. I do know their revenues were climbing quite steadily and I'm sure the executive team is eyeing an exit soon.

ConsFor an software engineer, CyberDefender is pretty much an unmitigated disaster. In the short time I was there, the turnover rate was fairly ridiculous among the engineers; among the team of 15 or so, 4 left in the time I had been there and another 3 have left since I've left.

It's basically a company that treats engineers like disposable, fungible resources. I never interacted with anyone else in the company beyond my immediate team and I was constantly berated for trivial things, like having a personal package delivered to the office. Any attempt for resources (a second monitor, books, etc) were a huge hassle to get. I worked on the most inane projects possible, such as "don't let the user leave this web page when they close their browser window and annoy them with a half-dozen pop-ups instead." In the event engineers couldn't make a (unrealistically set to begin with) deadline, we were expected to simply remain in the office however late until it was complete. 60 hour works were standard. Every employee was essentially treated as a child (arriving late/leaving early was immediately criticized, you had to "get a pass" to go to the bathroom, and everyone some spyware installed on their computer so management could yell at you for spending 3 minutes on espn.com).

I have absolutely nothing good to say about the company. Don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven CyberDefender has no interest in being a "technology company" and sees the engineering team as a cost center, they might as well go the whole hog and just outsource everything to India or something. I doubt I'll ever see a company as badly managed as this one and I've pretty much committed to spending every opportunity to I have to tell every software engineering professional I know to never work at this godforsaken company.

Worked for CyberDefender? Contribute to the Community!