CyberDefender

Sham of a company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CyberDefender full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of cool people.

Cons

Poorly managed. Basically a scam to get money from computer illiterate people.

Failed Company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CyberDefender full-time for more than a year

Pros

No leadership, no company values, poor benefits.

Cons

No annual reviews and no salary increases, poor management, no interesting or challenging projects, dirty workplace, benefits that were granted on a hiring date (ex. 401K plan) were delayed for years for no reason. It's a challenge to obtain an equipment needed for work (i.e. new computers, a secondary display, or a memory card extension). Poor facilities, bad Internet connection, etc.

Do not work for

Former Employee - Level II Tech  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Level II Tech in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CyberDefender full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are awesome to work with!

Cons

Dirty workplace/workstation; C-level is out for themselves and do not know day to day operations at lower levels; there is no standard, there are groups and shifts but even within groups/shifts rules/procedures vary. Politics are high so if you know how to mingle and play the game, you can make it to a supervisor position; sales department straight up lie, software is fraud

Go back to being a private company - you showed more care for employees and everything in general was a lot smoother then

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boom to bust with maximum fallout

Former Employee - Tech Support Lead  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Support Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CyberDefender full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff themselves were experienced and well managed. Everyone worked well within their department and with other departments.

Cons

The executive management segregated themselves from their staff to the point where there was no knowledge of the day-to-day operations. They focused on expensive advertising and using the incoming revenue for their own means.

...

Great opportunity, poor C-level management

Former Employee - Call Center  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CyberDefender full-time for more than a year

Pros

great product and service that people really need (e.g. remote technical support on your PC)

Cons

nepotism; management doesn't listen to the people they've hired to be experts in their field; C-level WAY over their head and no public company experience

listen and don't think you know all the answers yourselves...because you don't.

A learning experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CyberDefender

Pros

There's a lot of smart people at the company, who work very hard. You will probably learn a lot working here.

Cons

Company might not be in business (at least in it's current form) much longer.

Improvements in the software need to happen much more rapidly.

It was great at first, but then management change everything and took sales as a priority

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CyberDefender

Pros

some pro's included not working very hard when we get a case for simply installing their antivirus software on a machine.

Cons

Management and sales would often say that their tech support are Microsoft certified and that we could fix anything. Sales would also lie about anything to get a customer

show tech support more respect then you show your sales agents.

Total Dissapointment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CyberDefender

Pros

Startup, High Pressue, Fast Paced and Lack of Structure might appeal to those looking for some flexibility in how they perform their jobs. There are no reviews, tracking or accountability, so if you are looking to escape, good at playing politics, but not producing, you might be able to get away with a lot.

Cons

There is no real accountability. You are sort of at the whim of your superiors. Every group is different, but generally management is very poorly trained and improperly picked.

A clearing from the top-down would be the best way to ensure that proper professional management practices are put into effect. All new upper management is the key.

Meh.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CyberDefender

Pros

Pay appears to be reasonable.

Cons

- Total chaos. Projects you work on often get scrapped at the last minute
    - Most of the management appear to lack technical knowledge
    - The blame culture rules here; before we fix a problem, make sure we know who to blame.

Don't work here. Seriously.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CyberDefender

Pros

I can't speak for the other departments in the company, so chances are it's not nearly as dysfunctional outside the engineering teams. I do know their revenues were climbing quite steadily and I'm sure the executive team is eyeing an exit soon.

Cons

For an software engineer, CyberDefender is pretty much an unmitigated disaster. In the short time I was there, the turnover rate was fairly ridiculous among the engineers; among the team of 15 or so, 4 left in the time I had been there and another 3 have left since I've left.

It's basically a company that treats engineers like disposable, fungible resources. I never interacted with anyone else in the company beyond my immediate team and I was constantly berated for trivial things, like having a personal package delivered to the office. Any attempt for resources (a second monitor, books, etc) were a huge hassle to get. I worked on the most inane projects possible, such as "don't let the user leave this web page when they close their browser window and annoy them with a half-dozen pop-ups instead." In the event engineers couldn't make a (unrealistically set to begin with) deadline, we were expected to simply remain in the office however late until it was complete. 60 hour works were standard. Every employee was essentially treated as a child (arriving late/leaving early was immediately criticized, you had to "get a pass" to go to the bathroom, and everyone some spyware installed on their computer so management could yell at you for spending 3 minutes on espn.com).

I have absolutely nothing good to say about the company. Don't work here.

Given CyberDefender has no interest in being a "technology company" and sees the engineering team as a cost center, they might as well go the whole hog and just outsource everything to India or something. I doubt I'll ever see a company as badly managed as this one and I've pretty much committed to spending every opportunity to I have to tell every software engineering professional I know to never work at this godforsaken company.

Worked for CyberDefender? Contribute to the Community!