Cyberonics

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Cyberonics President and CEO Dan Moore

Dan Moore

I Love Cyberonics

Senior Manager, Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cyberonics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPlenty of camaraderie, paid time off, fun activities, a state-of-the art gym with a company paid trainer and evening workout activities often led by employees. We work hard and play hard. Many accolades. Plenty of projects and rewarding work to be done in every department. Great leadership including emerging leaders who are absolutely amazing us with their diversity projects each month. There is lots of growth opportunity if you want it and you are willing to work for it.

ConsWith so many talented and innovative people it's hard to do decide which direction we are going to go and keep everyone happy. It's a great problem to have, but keep the ideas coming anyway! There will always be more ideas than time or money to do them all. Our senior leadership has a lot of responsibility in selecting the right course for the company but they are doing an outstanding job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. I have been here 16 years and each year keeps getting better for the company and employees with more seasoned management and an energized and optimistic workforce. Every year VPs are stretched to expand their own skills and knowledge and they expect the same from employees so that everyone is growing together. Continue to keep us all challenged. Continue to good work.

Very good place to work!

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cyberonics full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary, Flexible work hours, company health initiatives

ConsLess opportunity for personal growth, people don't like to use newer technologies

Sales driven, patient-centric company.

I have been working at Cyberonics full-time for less than a year

ProsEthical, skilled & trustworthy leadership, fun work environment, strong focus on helping patients with epilepsy. Company culture fosters a family atmosphere for those in corporate.Recently implemented a leadership development program.

Great company for sales reps if you embrace wearing a lot of hats in a dynamic sales process. You won't ever be bored!

ConsLocated in the suburbs. Small company may limit advancement opportunities in certain departments.

Full time is the way to go

Temp (Former Employee)

I worked at Cyberonics full-time for more than a year

Prosgood culture and fulltime employees get NICE bonuses when goals are met.

ConsTemps are hired directly by Cyberonics and are paid as houly fulltime employees. Temps do not get any benifits, no paid holidays or vacation nor do they share in bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTemps who work full time should be included in the bonuses. Their effort counts too!

Show me the Money!!!!

Therapeutic Consultant (Sales Representative ) (Former Employee)

I worked at Cyberonics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe salary is okay. The Bonus payout at goal is ungodly!!!!! At goal, you could expect to total bonus payout to increase your earnings by $200,000 minimum. Top reps with high volume territories are making $300,000 or more in bonus alone.

ConsIt is absolutely cut throat company. They could not care less about patients and what is the right thing to do. They only care that they continuously hit the goal. And, if you are a woman, watch out. Not female friendly company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour reps are overpaid for what they do. The result, an overly expensive product and shady sales practices.

Its a great company and very friendly management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cyberonics

ProsOpen door policy, brilliant work atmosphere, excellent upper-management and easy access to them, encouraging peers

ConsSmall company, not very good career development for long term

Advice to Senior ManagementPrograms for employee motivation are required

Political & Close Minded

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cyberonics full-time

ProsGood overview of 1 product company

Consway too much politics for a company with only 1 product; people were tied laced

engineering, operations quality

Engineering, Operartions Quality (Former Employee)

I worked at Cyberonics full-time for more than a year

ProsI actually did not see any pros when I worked there; management do not put their money where their mouth is.

ConsAn absolute sweat shop; the senior management is pocketing tons of cash while exploiting employees; they mostly pray on foreign visa workers to get the cash machine going for Dan and senior management,

Advice to Senior Managementyour strategy is not sustainable in long term

It is a very bad career choice and regret moving here. Now I am stuck here for two years or must re-pay 100% of the Relo

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cyberonics full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is competitive. there are no pros to mention. Oh wait, they do have a nice fitness room.
CEO is very charismatic and gives great speeches to rally the team.

ConsPoor direct management. No experience in new product development.
If you accept a relocation package, you have to repay 100% if you leave before two years (I really made a mistake moving here!)
No sense of teamwork--I feel like an outsider.
My role is not what I expected and does not match the job description I interviewed for. I brought this up with management and in a nice way was told--"tough sh!t".
You are micro-managed by non technical managers that do not have a clue what your tasks are.
All projects are years behind schedule and over budget due to poor planning by management.
Stock price is grossly overpriced waiting for the bottom to fall out.
The medical benefits are mediocre and quite expensive.
Houston is a terrible place to live unless you like hot humid weather.
No room for career growth.
Relies on contractors for new product development. No in house experts in anything. If there are, management does not believe them and gets second onions from consultants and contractors...

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct development is lacking experienced professionals.
Quality is lacking at all levels.
Products are not innovative.
Running to Costa Rica for cheap manufacturing is not the answer.

Prin Enggr

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cyberonics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNothing more than you have a job.

ConsToo much stress, Quality VP and Mfg VP has no faith on their own appointed Directors. Micro management at highest extent . Too much pressure on Dir, Mgr and Engineers. MFG maintains a score card for operators if they make mistakes to scare employees they can be fired if they do mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementOther than Quality and Ops VPs other, CEO and other VPs are excellent.
Quality and Ops VPs needs to learn from other Sr mgmt. CEO Dan Moore needs work towards taking good initiatives to improve this Quality and Ops leadership.

Worked for Cyberonics? Contribute to the Community!

Cyberonics – Why Work for Us?

Cyberonics, Inc., (NASDAQ: CYBX) is a medical technology company with core expertise in neuromodulation. The company developed and markets the Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) Therapy system, which is FDA-approved for the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cyberonics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cyberonics CEO Dan Moore. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Cyberonics employees.