Cycle Gear Reviews

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As far as pros go, obviously any job is what you make it. I personally put a lot of effort into the job and in return got a lot out of it. The discount is pretty awesome, if you ride, youll save a lot of money working here. The pay is pretty competative, if you're just starting out be prepared to make a little above minumum wage but give it time and effort and you can easilly get a raise from becoming a key holder (as well as your annual reviews, in two years my hourly pay went up 2.50/hr which is unheard of in most companies.) The stores "reward system" if you will pays out great to the employees that work hard for it such as inter-company contests with monetary rewards ( sometimes very generous) as well as their "Gear Expert" program which based on how well you sell, can double the amount you make when you sell certain items (spiffs) as well as your commission. (makes a huge impact on your paycheck especially in summer months if you work in the northeast like i do) The upper management regularly checks in to the individual stores, especially new ones which allows you to talk one on one with them and give your two cents. (trust me they listen, and if what you have to say makes sense they will try to get it done) GREAT networking tool to work here. Ive made some friends from customers and even some professional contacts that will benefit me in my future endeavors. BIG opportunity for advancement. Cyclegear is opening up new stores at a fast pace and they will give people already working for the company first dibs on new positions. Its a great way to move up fast. Honestly there is probably more to list but like i said its what you make it. If you slack and dont do your job, your pay will ultimately not be as much as it could be which i could see would lead to some negative reviews.

Cons

Goals in winter months are somewhat unrealistic sometimes, 100% satisfaction guarantee is a great thing for customers but i think there should be some stricter limits on what a customer can return. pretty much if they complain about it (regarless of whether or not its their fault) for long enough, management will give the OK to return the item to satisfy the customer, sometimes leaving you with a set of tie downs the customer attempted to suspend his motorcycle from the garage ceiling with, dropping the bike, and blaming the tie downs for not supporting the bike. but in any job you get your crazies

Advice to Management

Higher starting pay rate

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1st let me say this...anyone that complains about working at cyclegear will complain about any job that requires you to work hard and take pride in something...the problem with most motorcyclist that come to work for cycle gear is that they have no retail experience and when givin a chance most of them just want to chat about bikes all day and get paid for it...most guys get in and dnt take the training serious and dnt realize how much they dnt knw until they have that customer that has tons of questions and they dnt knw any of the answers...I've been in retail for a long time and I have to give cyclegear credit for doing it correctly...from the top dwn they treat and care about all of there employees...and as far as the bilt brand goes...it's our job to qualify the customer so that they make an informed buying desicion...we are never told to push any brand on to our customers...it's true that we dnt hold on to bad or consistent bottom performers ...but what business does? This is a great place to work and all of my employees are like family

Cons

We have to move a little faster with the new technology some of the things we do are out of date

Advice to Management

Continue yo advance our exclusive brands

3. Nice team to work with, plenty of opportunities for advancement

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are alot of bonuses and extra commission available if you work hard and know what you are selling

Cons

you could struggle if youre not prepared to meet daily and weekly sales goals

Advice to Management

none

5. Cashier, Sales associate, Customer service, Retail

Former Employee - Cashier, Sales Associate, Customer Service, Retail in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some Pros about Cycle gear and have Its an awesome experience, if Dirt biking is your hobby this this job makes you feel right at home. The company also does weekly paychecks and pays their employs well.

Cons

the girls that work there are too much in to the clicks . almost like high school

6. Team Member / Merchandiser

Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Visalia, CA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, very educational, balanced

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Better coverage

This has great potential!

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment. Strong Team Work. Very flexible. Great work/home life balance.

Cons

Compensation. Benefits. A little clique-y. Lacks formal processes and procedures (however, I know they are working on it).

Advice to Management

If you want Cycle Gear to grow, you will need to leave your muddy boots at the door and standardize a little more. Start small. Like adding name plates at every desk. Adding titles to individuals in the directory. Having an official signature in all correspondence. With the expected expansion, you will need to bring more polished individuals who are going to make the company move forward, they aren't going to come to a company that doesn't even have the simplest things.

8. Would do it again if I could

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff Thorough training Well organized Fun to work for

Cons

Almost no ability to take time off, open all year, only one holiday

Advice to Management

No advice, just a solid thanks.

9. Not a bad job, not a great career

Former Employee - Key Holder in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Daytona Beach, FL

Pros

Great concept behind the companies morals. Good discounts, decent pay for the area. It was a fun environment to work in prior to several changes in management. We were almost a family of motorcyclists. As a company it is a well run company, the Daytona store, however has taken a turn for the worst.

Cons

Bennifits package wasn't all that great, I got the feeling that higher management (district and regional) didn't like the idea of someone with initiative. I worked here while going through college. When I graduated I was wanting to move up the chain of command and become assistant manager, then manage my own store and go corporate-the district manager thought ill of my intentions and wouldn't allow the promotion.

Advice to Management

Do not allow managers to hire their friends as assistants-specially when the friend has no management experience what so ever. Do not burn bridges with customers-word of mouth is intense and can make or break a company.

Great Place

Former Employee - Associate in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at if everybody is fair and the co-workers are good. I greatly enjoyed working with the people i did and that's what made my job so great. Some days are slow, and others are really fast paced. The training was good and the amount you can learn in a short time is enormous.

Cons

On slow days sales goals can be harsh to meet. They have a great many expectations of you, and none of them are harsh. But just one bad day can ruin your week on the charts.

Advice to Management

Be a little less strict sometimes. This is a middle-tier retail position and i understand the pressure you are under. This will vary from manager to manager, but there is NO need to be that strict. Take your job seriously and pass that on but do not suffocate your associates.

11. Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved

Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

RSS Feed </> Embed