Cycle Gear Reviews

Updated May 30, 2014
Updated May 30, 2014

2.8

David Betram

Nice team to work with, plenty of opportunities for advancement

Former Employee - Merchandiser  in  Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are alot of bonuses and extra commission available if you work hard and know what you are selling

Cons

you could struggle if youre not prepared to meet daily and weekly sales goals

none

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time for more than a year

Pros

1st let me say this...anyone that complains about working at cyclegear will complain about any job that requires you to work hard and take pride in something...the problem with most motorcyclist that come to work for cycle gear is that they have no retail experience and when givin a chance most of them just want to chat about bikes all day and get paid for it...most guys get in and dnt take the training serious and dnt realize how much they dnt knw until they have that customer that has tons of questions and they dnt knw any of the answers...I've been in retail for a long time and I have to give cyclegear credit for doing it correctly...from the top dwn they treat and care about all of there employees...and as far as the bilt brand goes...it's our job to qualify the customer so that they make an informed buying desicion...we are never told to push any brand on to our customers...it's true that we dnt hold on to bad or consistent bottom performers ...but what business does? This is a great place to work and all of my employees are like family

Cons

We have to move a little faster with the new technology some of the things we do are out of date

Continue yo advance our exclusive brands

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Orange, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time for more than a year

Pros

As far as pros go, obviously any job is what you make it. I personally put a lot of effort into the job and in return got a lot out of it. The discount is pretty awesome, if you ride, youll save a lot of money working here. The pay is pretty competative, if you're just starting out be prepared to make a little above minumum wage but give it time and effort and you can easilly get a raise from becoming a key holder (as well as your annual reviews, in two years my hourly pay went up 2.50/hr which is unheard of in most companies.) The stores "reward system" if you will pays out great to the employees that work hard for it such as inter-company contests with monetary rewards ( sometimes very generous) as well as their "Gear Expert" program which based on how well you sell, can double the amount you make when you sell certain items (spiffs) as well as your commission. (makes a huge impact on your paycheck especially in summer months if you work in the northeast like i do) The upper management regularly checks in to the individual stores, especially new ones which allows you to talk one on one with them and give your two cents. (trust me they listen, and if what you have to say makes sense they will try to get it done) GREAT networking tool to work here. Ive made some friends from customers and even some professional contacts that will benefit me in my future endeavors. BIG opportunity for advancement. Cyclegear is opening up new stores at a fast pace and they will give people already working for the company first dibs on new positions. Its a great way to move up fast. Honestly there is probably more to list but like i said its what you make it. If you slack and dont do your job, your pay will ultimately not be as much as it could be which i could see would lead to some negative reviews.

Cons

Goals in winter months are somewhat unrealistic sometimes, 100% satisfaction guarantee is a great thing for customers but i think there should be some stricter limits on what a customer can return. pretty much if they complain about it (regarless of whether or not its their fault) for long enough, management will give the OK to return the item to satisfy the customer, sometimes leaving you with a set of tie downs the customer attempted to suspend his motorcycle from the garage ceiling with, dropping the bike, and blaming the tie downs for not supporting the bike.

but in any job you get your crazies

Higher starting pay rate

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay, but a generally enjoyable job.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Pacheco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Pacheco, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time

Pros

Great employee discounts, generally enjoyable days at work, good coworkers. Training was boring but useful and very applicable to the job most of the time.

Cons

Low pay rates until someone reached store management level. Sales goals and push for sales got tiring sometimes, but it's a business and the job is to sell, so most of the time it wasn't that big of a deal.

Investing in your good employees and keeping them around (ie, giving them pay and benefits they can actually live on) will help reduce turnover and improve customer service and team knowledge. Could probably accomplish more with fewer people.

Enthusiast based retailer

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fresno, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working in the motorcycle industry is very fun as an enthusiast. Cycle Gear provided many opportunities to network with other industry professionals and opportunities to meet professional racers. It was also a great opportunity to stay up on current products and changes in the industry.

Cons

It was hard to balance work and home life with the demand of retail hours. This however is the same in most if not all retail environments.

Look closer at individual markets, especially for older locations. Factor in economical factors of the areas such as unemployment rate, potential new customer base and existing customer purchasing habits when setting store plans. Also look at geographical factors such as crime rate in area of store, location of competition, location of other major retailers and changes to retail activity in the area. For example relocating a store from a more economically depressed area of the city to a more desired shopping area. Especially in areas where development favors an urban sprawl and new development is moving away from the store location. It is harder to drive customers to less desirable area of the city that is out of their "comfort/safe" zone.

The first year was great, as the group I worked with became my family.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time for more than a year

Pros

Smaller groups to work in, so you become really close. Customers are bike people, so they are pretty chill, most of the time!

Cons

The company has changed quite a bit since I worked there, and I've heard it is quite a different environment now.

Helped me get a career in the motorcycle industry

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learned a lot while being employed with Cycle Gear. Not just from a product knowledge standpoint, but from store management, development, sales tactics that I still use to this very day. Team Leaders will get the benefit of traveling to meetings for product presentations from the manufacturers themselves in some great locations. Excellent team building experiences and cool motorcycle related functions. And yes, the employee discount was great.

Cons

Only reason I left was to explore my options in the industry. I got to do a lot with Cycle Gear and loved every minute of it, but I felt my progression grounded to a halt at the team leader level. I personally wanted more, but found it very difficult to progress past that level. It is true what the other reviewers saying about the corporate changes. Became very focused on the money and not as much towards the riders as they were when I started. Having said that, I understood what the goal was and how they wanted to achieve it. I personally did not agree with it, so I decided to move my career on. I have no ill feelings towards Cycle Gear and still have friends there, both in store and in the corporate office. I still thank them for helping me in my career and to embrace the sport of motorcycling.

If you are a team leader, follow the goals set forth by corporate and execute them as best as possible. That is your job and what is expected of you. If you don't like that, do as I did and leave. People compare them to big corporations, but they wouldn't be there if they did not follow that model and become the only chain of stores of their kind. As far as corporate goes, only suggestion I would make to them is continue what you are doing. You are America's Number #1 Retailer for a reason. As I have progressed and been out of the stores for a while now, I can totally understand why. Looking back, I am proud to have worked for Cycle Gear and enjoyed my time there. Thank you.

Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved

Former Employee - Key Holder  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Treat your employees better

Great Place

Former Employee - Associate  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work at if everybody is fair and the co-workers are good. I greatly enjoyed working with the people i did and that's what made my job so great. Some days are slow, and others are really fast paced. The training was good and the amount you can learn in a short time is enormous.

Cons

On slow days sales goals can be harsh to meet. They have a great many expectations of you, and none of them are harsh. But just one bad day can ruin your week on the charts.

Be a little less strict sometimes. This is a middle-tier retail position and i understand the pressure you are under. This will vary from manager to manager, but there is NO need to be that strict. Take your job seriously and pass that on but do not suffocate your associates.

Not a bad job, not a great career

Former Employee - Key Holder  in  Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Cycle Gear

Pros

Great concept behind the companies morals. Good discounts, decent pay for the area. It was a fun environment to work in prior to several changes in management. We were almost a family of motorcyclists. As a company it is a well run company, the Daytona store, however has taken a turn for the worst.

Cons

Bennifits package wasn't all that great, I got the feeling that higher management (district and regional) didn't like the idea of someone with initiative. I worked here while going through college. When I graduated I was wanting to move up the chain of command and become assistant manager, then manage my own store and go corporate-the district manager thought ill of my intentions and wouldn't allow the promotion.

Do not allow managers to hire their friends as assistants-specially when the friend has no management experience what so ever. Do not burn bridges with customers-word of mouth is intense and can make or break a company.

Worked for Cycle Gear? Contribute to the Community!