Cycle Gear

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Betram

Mediocre at best...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time

ProsCo-workers are genuinely friendly
Casual, laid back environment

ConsYou are valued more on the time spent in the office(even if that means you are just wasting time and space - trust me I have seen many people do that here!) oppose to the actual work productivity. Out-dated systems, no one in the 'upper echelon' really listens until it is too late and by too late I mean, we are in 'Red Alert' mode fixing and cleaning up messes on the back end OR we lose great employees!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they are worth!
Take the time to listen to your team.
Managers should meet with their team monthly to discuss where they are at, what they have been doing, where improvement is needed etc...
Restructure is needed is most departments

Nice team to work with, plenty of opportunities for advancement

Merchandiser (Former Employee)
Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are alot of bonuses and extra commission available if you work hard and know what you are selling

Consyou could struggle if youre not prepared to meet daily and weekly sales goals

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Low pay, but a generally enjoyable job.

Sales (Former Employee)
Pacheco, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time

ProsGreat employee discounts, generally enjoyable days at work, good coworkers. Training was boring but useful and very applicable to the job most of the time.

ConsLow pay rates until someone reached store management level. Sales goals and push for sales got tiring sometimes, but it's a business and the job is to sell, so most of the time it wasn't that big of a deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvesting in your good employees and keeping them around (ie, giving them pay and benefits they can actually live on) will help reduce turnover and improve customer service and team knowledge. Could probably accomplish more with fewer people.

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time for more than a year.

Benicia, CA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time for more than a year

ProsYou work in a relaxed, casual environment with friendly coworkers. Many people here have similar interests, and even if you don't, it's easy to make friends.

ConsDon't get many days off during holidays. They also seem to only care about how long you are in the office for, not as much for your productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementMonthly 1:1 with employees to recap performance and discuss upcoming events.

Enthusiast based retailer

Team Leader (Former Employee)
Fresno, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking in the motorcycle industry is very fun as an enthusiast. Cycle Gear provided many opportunities to network with other industry professionals and opportunities to meet professional racers. It was also a great opportunity to stay up on current products and changes in the industry.

ConsIt was hard to balance work and home life with the demand of retail hours. This however is the same in most if not all retail environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closer at individual markets, especially for older locations. Factor in economical factors of the areas such as unemployment rate, potential new customer base and existing customer purchasing habits when setting store plans. Also look at geographical factors such as crime rate in area of store, location of competition, location of other major retailers and changes to retail activity in the area. For example relocating a store from a more economically depressed area of the city to a more desired shopping area. Especially in areas where development favors an urban sprawl and new development is moving away from the store location. It is harder to drive customers to less desirable area of the city that is out of their "comfort/safe" zone.

Enlightening yet unfufilling

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExperience in the industry. A good way to judge your area's demographic and approach customers in a sales environment. Great opportunities to network with local businesses and make contacts within the industry for both personal and career gains. Wonderful way to meet like minded individuals in an otherwise fractured and hostile community (bikers). Many members of upper management are surprising amicable and realistic. With certain individuals there is a very casual atmosphere.

ConsPoor starting pay and poor raises for the amount of knowledge and experience required to be truly successful. Individuals with no experience in the industry will serve to only anger customers and cause problems for more experienced associates and managers.

Training modules are amateur with poor wording, spelling, and misinformation.

Lack of resources at the store level to satisfy the needs of passionate enthusiasts and high dollar customers. Lack of individuality at the store level. Essentially corporate wants each store to be uniform even though many locations have different demographics than the corporation's perceived image. This results in a disinterest or outright hostility from many customers. This alienates customer bases and only serves to make individual stores seem like they are not doing their jobs.

Sales oriented performance does not take into account riding seasons in certain areas or economic demographics.

Certain members of upper management are down right hostile and unreasonable. Some treat associates like peasants, to them many people are only numbers. There is no reciprocity with respect.

Store locations are chosen poorly, many stores are either out of the way of main roads or completely obscured and not visible from the road. Stores that can be seen easily and clearly from the road have significantly better performance and more meaningful traffic, this is of course attributed to associates and management for better or worse.

The company completely refuses to spend money on proper advertisement. Successful companies spend MILLIONS on advertisement. Cycle Gear spends less on advertisement than competitors with single locations, less profit margins, high pay, and better incentives for employees. For a national chain this is 100% unacceptable. The company expects those at the store level to do their jobs for pennies on the dollar; while those in advertising making double or more than the average store manager are either grossly incompetent or stifled by the bean counters.

I have not even touched on the exclusive brands...

This stuff is safety gear, safety gear is expensive for a reason. Certain items can be made cheaply (textile and mesh apparel, even boots), others simply cannot (leather, helmets, gloves). These are items people are depending on to save their lives. Cost cutting techniques are unacceptable on many of these items. The exclusive brands suffer from over saturation and redundancy (multiple products that do the exact same thing at the same price point) and serve only to confuse the customer AND the associate. Some of these items are a danger to those who wear them and should not even be an option for purchase. Many of the waterproof items are consistently not waterproof and only makes it harder for the associate to instill trust in the customer.

The final straw is the unrealistic pricing of non-exclusive brands and the refusal to stock stores with a variety of product. With the amount of options for helmets and gear, and Cycle Gear's buying power and size, there is an astonishing lack of variety for the customer.

I can say that as a consumer, Cycle Gear does not anything that I would buy aside from casual apparel.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more leeway to individual stores. They need their own identities. Give the store managers more say in what their store stocks. You trust them with your money and sales, trust them to know what their customers would buy. Spend a considerable amount of money more on advertising. Increase the base pay to lure in more industry professionals. You pay us like high school students.

The first year was great, as the group I worked with became my family.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time for more than a year

ProsSmaller groups to work in, so you become really close. Customers are bike people, so they are pretty chill, most of the time!

ConsThe company has changed quite a bit since I worked there, and I've heard it is quite a different environment now.

Unreasonable sales goals, rampant ageism, greediness, and more

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time for more than a year

ProsThe discount is alright and some of the customers and fellow staff can be friendly and charming. You could make some connections here if you play your cards right.

ConsThe amount of used helmets that are on the shelves/up for sale is disgusting. Their 7 day helmet guarantee finds customers returning their used helmets and MOST of these returned helmets end up back on the sales floor.

In addition, the unrealistic sales goals, excessive promotion and incentives regarding their exclusive brands is disappointing. The Bilt merchandise makes the Frank Thomas brand seem high end in comparison.

Management and fellow sales associates can be downright nasty when it comes to taking customers (and therefore commissions) from you. There are so many shady tactics and inconsistent treatment of transactions. For a mega million dollar chain, there is hardly anything is done to deter theft, both internal and external.

This company doesn't want to pay its employees what they're worth and as a result, most of their employees are 25 and under, without a lot of knowledge of motorcycles, gear, or the industry as a whole.

Cycle Gear prides themselves on customer service and bending over backwards for the customer so much that they will let their customers return anything that has been used, no matter what the timeframe.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together or you really are going to be the Walmart of motorcycle retailers, as a previous reviewer mentioned. Visit your stores more often to see what actually goes on during the day-to-day operations. The safety and happiness of your employees will help you if you are to be successful with your plans for expansion. There is so much theft going on via many different methods that you might want to have build a serious loss prevention department. It would certainly help your profit margins.

Helped me get a career in the motorcycle industry

Team Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLearned a lot while being employed with Cycle Gear. Not just from a product knowledge standpoint, but from store management, development, sales tactics that I still use to this very day. Team Leaders will get the benefit of traveling to meetings for product presentations from the manufacturers themselves in some great locations. Excellent team building experiences and cool motorcycle related functions. And yes, the employee discount was great.

ConsOnly reason I left was to explore my options in the industry. I got to do a lot with Cycle Gear and loved every minute of it, but I felt my progression grounded to a halt at the team leader level. I personally wanted more, but found it very difficult to progress past that level. It is true what the other reviewers saying about the corporate changes. Became very focused on the money and not as much towards the riders as they were when I started. Having said that, I understood what the goal was and how they wanted to achieve it. I personally did not agree with it, so I decided to move my career on. I have no ill feelings towards Cycle Gear and still have friends there, both in store and in the corporate office. I still thank them for helping me in my career and to embrace the sport of motorcycling.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are a team leader, follow the goals set forth by corporate and execute them as best as possible. That is your job and what is expected of you. If you don't like that, do as I did and leave. People compare them to big corporations, but they wouldn't be there if they did not follow that model and become the only chain of stores of their kind. As far as corporate goes, only suggestion I would make to them is continue what you are doing. You are America's Number #1 Retailer for a reason. As I have progressed and been out of the stores for a while now, I can totally understand why. Looking back, I am proud to have worked for Cycle Gear and enjoyed my time there. Thank you.

Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved

Key Holder (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time for more than a year

ProsThe discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

ConsCorporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better

Worked for Cycle Gear? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cycle Gear reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cycle Gear CEO David Betram. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Cycle Gear employees.