Cycle Gear

Cycle Gear Reviews

Updated November 10, 2014
Updated November 10, 2014

David Betram

Had fun, until they fired the whole team.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love motocross and motorcycles so I hadthe time of my life working here. I loved learning about new products and meeting new people. I never dreaded coming to work (maybe during inventory).

Cons

"Company" products were horrible quailty and I seriously felt bad selling them to customers and if I see a BiLt helemet on the street today I want to shake the person and tell them to get something safe! I only worked there for a year and a half and I think we had around seven different TL's come in and work with us. It was frustrating because we would learn how to do something one way from one person then someone else would come in and say we're doing it wrong. The company had standards but they weren't being used by everyone like they should have been. To top it all off, a TL from Washington came and gave us all our last pay checks and wouldn't give us a reason why. We all spit balled about it, maybe we were all getting paid to much (we were all over minimum wage at that point) or because we were trained incorrectly. It was a while ago but it still hurts me to think a company would do that to all of us. I loved working here but I've never been back nor will I ever. I'll also never reccommend someone to this store.

Take care of your employees. They will take care of you back.

Cashier, Sales associate, Customer service, Retail

Former Employee - Cashier, Sales Associate, Customer Service, Retail in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some Pros about Cycle gear and have Its an awesome experience, if Dirt biking is your hobby this this job makes you feel right at home. The company also does weekly paychecks and pays their employs well.

Cons

the girls that work there are too much in to the clicks . almost like high school

Hostile work environment, under-paid, and awful management.

Former Employee - Key Holder in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on location (Big box store or regular store) and title, your commission can be quite large. They also have flexible scheduling so if you're a student, it's ideal. If you ride, then the discounts can save you a lot of money, too.
    You can advance fairly quickly IF the management likes you.

Cons

Hourly pay is quite low.
    The management is just awful.
    90% of the time I felt harrassed and lied to.
    I had been there for two years, got promoted to supervisor, and was generating 150+% of goal every month in my department. They demoted me and said I had to work on sales. Then, when the position was opened again, they asked if I still wanted it. I said yes, and they said they would start training me for it again... They ended up training a new-hire on my days off, and made her my supervisor.
    Everything is ran extremely backwards here. As far as the harrassment goes, I felt singled-out. I was the only employee being targeted like this by the "Team Leader", and even other employees noticed.
    When it comes to "team bonding", there is none. The supervisors and higher always eat lunch together in a seperate room. They don't want us regular people to think we're friends.
    Part of me thinks they were giving me this run-around in hopes of me quitting, that way I never received unemployment. Well, I stuck it out for as long as I possibly could until I had to just walk out one day and never come back.
    I guess this multi-billion dollar company won.

Read the "Cons" section and you'll figure it out.

Mediocre at best...

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time

Pros

Co-workers are genuinely friendly
    Casual, laid back environment

Cons

You are valued more on the time spent in the office(even if that means you are just wasting time and space - trust me I have seen many people do that here!) oppose to the actual work productivity. Out-dated systems, no one in the 'upper echelon' really listens until it is too late and by too late I mean, we are in 'Red Alert' mode fixing and cleaning up messes on the back end OR we lose great employees!

Pay your people what they are worth!
    Take the time to listen to your team.
    Managers should meet with their team monthly to discuss where they are at, what they have been doing, where improvement is needed etc...
    Restructure is needed is most departments

Nice team to work with, plenty of opportunities for advancement

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are alot of bonuses and extra commission available if you work hard and know what you are selling

Cons

you could struggle if youre not prepared to meet daily and weekly sales goals

none

Low pay, but a generally enjoyable job.

Former Employee - Sales in Pacheco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Pacheco, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time

Pros

Great employee discounts, generally enjoyable days at work, good coworkers. Training was boring but useful and very applicable to the job most of the time.

Cons

Low pay rates until someone reached store management level. Sales goals and push for sales got tiring sometimes, but it's a business and the job is to sell, so most of the time it wasn't that big of a deal.

Investing in your good employees and keeping them around (ie, giving them pay and benefits they can actually live on) will help reduce turnover and improve customer service and team knowledge. Could probably accomplish more with fewer people.

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time for more than a year.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You work in a relaxed, casual environment with friendly coworkers. Many people here have similar interests, and even if you don't, it's easy to make friends.

Cons

Don't get many days off during holidays. They also seem to only care about how long you are in the office for, not as much for your productivity.

Monthly 1:1 with employees to recap performance and discuss upcoming events.

Enthusiast based retailer

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fresno, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the motorcycle industry is very fun as an enthusiast. Cycle Gear provided many opportunities to network with other industry professionals and opportunities to meet professional racers. It was also a great opportunity to stay up on current products and changes in the industry.

Cons

It was hard to balance work and home life with the demand of retail hours. This however is the same in most if not all retail environments.

Look closer at individual markets, especially for older locations. Factor in economical factors of the areas such as unemployment rate, potential new customer base and existing customer purchasing habits when setting store plans. Also look at geographical factors such as crime rate in area of store, location of competition, location of other major retailers and changes to retail activity in the area. For example relocating a store from a more economically depressed area of the city to a more desired shopping area. Especially in areas where development favors an urban sprawl and new development is moving away from the store location. It is harder to drive customers to less desirable area of the city that is out of their "comfort/safe" zone.

Enlightening yet unfufilling

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experience in the industry. A good way to judge your area's demographic and approach customers in a sales environment. Great opportunities to network with local businesses and make contacts within the industry for both personal and career gains. Wonderful way to meet like minded individuals in an otherwise fractured and hostile community (bikers). Many members of upper management are surprising amicable and realistic. With certain individuals there is a very casual atmosphere.

Cons

Poor starting pay and poor raises for the amount of knowledge and experience required to be truly successful. Individuals with no experience in the industry will serve to only anger customers and cause problems for more experienced associates and managers.

Training modules are amateur with poor wording, spelling, and misinformation.

Lack of resources at the store level to satisfy the needs of passionate enthusiasts and high dollar customers. Lack of individuality at the store level. Essentially corporate wants each store to be uniform even though many locations have different demographics than the corporation's perceived image. This results in a disinterest or outright hostility from many customers. This alienates customer bases and only serves to make individual stores seem like they are not doing their jobs.

Sales oriented performance does not take into account riding seasons in certain areas or economic demographics.

Certain members of upper management are down right hostile and unreasonable. Some treat associates like peasants, to them many people are only numbers. There is no reciprocity with respect.

Store locations are chosen poorly, many stores are either out of the way of main roads or completely obscured and not visible from the road. Stores that can be seen easily and clearly from the road have significantly better performance and more meaningful traffic, this is of course attributed to associates and management for better or worse.

The company completely refuses to spend money on proper advertisement. Successful companies spend MILLIONS on advertisement. Cycle Gear spends less on advertisement than competitors with single locations, less profit margins, high pay, and better incentives for employees. For a national chain this is 100% unacceptable. The company expects those at the store level to do their jobs for pennies on the dollar; while those in advertising making double or more than the average store manager are either grossly incompetent or stifled by the bean counters.

I have not even touched on the exclusive brands...

This stuff is safety gear, safety gear is expensive for a reason. Certain items can be made cheaply (textile and mesh apparel, even boots), others simply cannot (leather, helmets, gloves). These are items people are depending on to save their lives. Cost cutting techniques are unacceptable on many of these items. The exclusive brands suffer from over saturation and redundancy (multiple products that do the exact same thing at the same price point) and serve only to confuse the customer AND the associate. Some of these items are a danger to those who wear them and should not even be an option for purchase. Many of the waterproof items are consistently not waterproof and only makes it harder for the associate to instill trust in the customer.

The final straw is the unrealistic pricing of non-exclusive brands and the refusal to stock stores with a variety of product. With the amount of options for helmets and gear, and Cycle Gear's buying power and size, there is an astonishing lack of variety for the customer.

I can say that as a consumer, Cycle Gear does not anything that I would buy aside from casual apparel.

Give more leeway to individual stores. They need their own identities. Give the store managers more say in what their store stocks. You trust them with your money and sales, trust them to know what their customers would buy. Spend a considerable amount of money more on advertising. Increase the base pay to lure in more industry professionals. You pay us like high school students.

The first year was great, as the group I worked with became my family.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Cycle Gear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smaller groups to work in, so you become really close. Customers are bike people, so they are pretty chill, most of the time!

Cons

The company has changed quite a bit since I worked there, and I've heard it is quite a different environment now.