Cycle Gear

Cycle Gear Reviews

Updated November 10, 2014
Updated November 10, 2014

David Betram

Unreasonable sales goals, rampant ageism, greediness, and more

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is alright and some of the customers and fellow staff can be friendly and charming. You could make some connections here if you play your cards right.

Cons

The amount of used helmets that are on the shelves/up for sale is disgusting. Their 7 day helmet guarantee finds customers returning their used helmets and MOST of these returned helmets end up back on the sales floor.

In addition, the unrealistic sales goals, excessive promotion and incentives regarding their exclusive brands is disappointing. The Bilt merchandise makes the Frank Thomas brand seem high end in comparison.

Management and fellow sales associates can be downright nasty when it comes to taking customers (and therefore commissions) from you. There are so many shady tactics and inconsistent treatment of transactions. For a mega million dollar chain, there is hardly anything is done to deter theft, both internal and external.

This company doesn't want to pay its employees what they're worth and as a result, most of their employees are 25 and under, without a lot of knowledge of motorcycles, gear, or the industry as a whole.

Cycle Gear prides themselves on customer service and bending over backwards for the customer so much that they will let their customers return anything that has been used, no matter what the timeframe.

Get your act together or you really are going to be the Walmart of motorcycle retailers, as a previous reviewer mentioned. Visit your stores more often to see what actually goes on during the day-to-day operations. The safety and happiness of your employees will help you if you are to be successful with your plans for expansion. There is so much theft going on via many different methods that you might want to have build a serious loss prevention department. It would certainly help your profit margins.

Helped me get a career in the motorcycle industry

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot while being employed with Cycle Gear. Not just from a product knowledge standpoint, but from store management, development, sales tactics that I still use to this very day. Team Leaders will get the benefit of traveling to meetings for product presentations from the manufacturers themselves in some great locations. Excellent team building experiences and cool motorcycle related functions. And yes, the employee discount was great.

Cons

Only reason I left was to explore my options in the industry. I got to do a lot with Cycle Gear and loved every minute of it, but I felt my progression grounded to a halt at the team leader level. I personally wanted more, but found it very difficult to progress past that level. It is true what the other reviewers saying about the corporate changes. Became very focused on the money and not as much towards the riders as they were when I started. Having said that, I understood what the goal was and how they wanted to achieve it. I personally did not agree with it, so I decided to move my career on. I have no ill feelings towards Cycle Gear and still have friends there, both in store and in the corporate office. I still thank them for helping me in my career and to embrace the sport of motorcycling.

If you are a team leader, follow the goals set forth by corporate and execute them as best as possible. That is your job and what is expected of you. If you don't like that, do as I did and leave. People compare them to big corporations, but they wouldn't be there if they did not follow that model and become the only chain of stores of their kind. As far as corporate goes, only suggestion I would make to them is continue what you are doing. You are America's Number #1 Retailer for a reason. As I have progressed and been out of the stores for a while now, I can totally understand why. Looking back, I am proud to have worked for Cycle Gear and enjoyed my time there. Thank you.

Used to be fun, relaxed but corporate got involved

Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is good if you have a motorcycle. Coworkers are generally the same as you, working to use the discount and make some pay but definitely everyone knew they weren't trying to make a career out of it.

Cons

Corporate got more involved towards the end of my time. Work became more about the numbers and meeting quotas rather than enjoying what we were doing. Discounts got worse, bonuses were harder to come by but I guess you can attribute that to the economy a bit.

Treat your employees better

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1st let me say this...anyone that complains about working at cyclegear will complain about any job that requires you to work hard and take pride in something...the problem with most motorcyclist that come to work for cycle gear is that they have no retail experience and when givin a chance most of them just want to chat about bikes all day and get paid for it...most guys get in and dnt take the training serious and dnt realize how much they dnt knw until they have that customer that has tons of questions and they dnt knw any of the answers...I've been in retail for a long time and I have to give cyclegear credit for doing it correctly...from the top dwn they treat and care about all of there employees...and as far as the bilt brand goes...it's our job to qualify the customer so that they make an informed buying desicion...we are never told to push any brand on to our customers...it's true that we dnt hold on to bad or consistent bottom performers ...but what business does? This is a great place to work and all of my employees are like family

Cons

We have to move a little faster with the new technology some of the things we do are out of date

Continue yo advance our exclusive brands

Used to be 5 star back in the day

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Employee discount. You gain a lot of knowledge of the industry and about the sport and hobby of motorcycling from dirt, to street, ATV's to cruisers. You also gain great appreciation for the amount of R&D that goes into the safety equipment, like the reason behind a $5 helmet as opposed to a $550 helmet for example. And you'll meet some cool people along the way.

Cons

The downside is the WalMart mentality. This is a specialty retailer, selling safety equipment, parts accessories and apparel that can potentially save somebody's life. Getting the right equipment for the job is crucial to this and with the turn and burn sales approach is not possible to achieve. Way back when it was all about getting the customer, the fellow rider, what they needed, what was right for them, what was going to keep them riding safely and happily it was great! Then along came the Sharper Image approach. "You're not making your sales goal? Okay... NEXT!!!" This may work great when your selling chairs that massage your feet, or pens that have lights built in so you can write in the dark, or maybe a foam, radio controlled helicopter that falls apart when you use it. When it comes to selling a helmet though to a first time rider, its all about getting them the one that fits right, meets their needs and is gonna keep them around long enough to tell their friends and family about the inevitable first crash and have a laugh about it. Cycle Gear's upper management doesn't care about that anymore though. No, just like any corporation, all they care about is how much money they can make. That's why all this BiLT rubbish that you see is out there. Nothing but margin increasing crap! And rather get the riders what they need, they want you to push junk, until you can't push junk anymore, increase sales figures until you hit the ceiling for the store you get stuck in because they've saturated the market so much with their own name and brand that you are competing against not only their website but the store that's 10 minutes down the road. And then when upper management feel the slightest bit of heat from the kitchen their method of putting out the fire is to can the "bottom feeders" or lowest performers, the one's who's unrealistic sales figures aren't being met. It's ridiculous and not worth getting burned out over, save yourself the hassle of being lulled into a false sense of security and go elsewhere. The old days have passed and the Titans that started this company, the ones who made it great, the ones who made it most successful, are sadly long gone. I am surprised that the bean counters and Shylock's that call the shots today have kept it going this long, but their shady but their shady and immoral business ethics will one day come back and bite them in the ass... I hope. There is a lot more but hopefully this is enough to give you a small taste of how bitter this once great place to work has left at least one person.

Drop the sales goals!!! It's not realistic to try and best your comp when the company is this old and well seasoned. You're own stores are killing each other. You can't have a huge flagship store next to a small store. The small store becomes the return store for the big one, it's numbers dwindle and because of you, your employees suffer because you start the turning and burning process. That's not called progress. You have created and hit, your own glass ceiling, carry on the way you are and you're going to break it bringing it all down on your own heads. There is so much more to be said but I know as well as anybody that still works there, I'd just be pissing in the wind!

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, CT

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As far as pros go, obviously any job is what you make it. I personally put a lot of effort into the job and in return got a lot out of it. The discount is pretty awesome, if you ride, youll save a lot of money working here. The pay is pretty competative, if you're just starting out be prepared to make a little above minumum wage but give it time and effort and you can easilly get a raise from becoming a key holder (as well as your annual reviews, in two years my hourly pay went up 2.50/hr which is unheard of in most companies.) The stores "reward system" if you will pays out great to the employees that work hard for it such as inter-company contests with monetary rewards ( sometimes very generous) as well as their "Gear Expert" program which based on how well you sell, can double the amount you make when you sell certain items (spiffs) as well as your commission. (makes a huge impact on your paycheck especially in summer months if you work in the northeast like i do) The upper management regularly checks in to the individual stores, especially new ones which allows you to talk one on one with them and give your two cents. (trust me they listen, and if what you have to say makes sense they will try to get it done) GREAT networking tool to work here. Ive made some friends from customers and even some professional contacts that will benefit me in my future endeavors. BIG opportunity for advancement. Cyclegear is opening up new stores at a fast pace and they will give people already working for the company first dibs on new positions. Its a great way to move up fast. Honestly there is probably more to list but like i said its what you make it. If you slack and dont do your job, your pay will ultimately not be as much as it could be which i could see would lead to some negative reviews.

Cons

Goals in winter months are somewhat unrealistic sometimes, 100% satisfaction guarantee is a great thing for customers but i think there should be some stricter limits on what a customer can return. pretty much if they complain about it (regarless of whether or not its their fault) for long enough, management will give the OK to return the item to satisfy the customer, sometimes leaving you with a set of tie downs the customer attempted to suspend his motorcycle from the garage ceiling with, dropping the bike, and blaming the tie downs for not supporting the bike.

but in any job you get your crazies

Higher starting pay rate

I used to love motorcycles...

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Motorcycles... if you work at a store. But the sales requirements of the crappy "BiLT" line makes me wonder if CG cares at all about rider safety in the face of increasing gross margins.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations given the tools available at any level of the organization. The soul-sucking corporate culture is terrible. The environment of "the beatings will continue until morale improves" permeates from the head office to the warehouse then down into the stores.

Restructure the executive management. No one feels like they care about anyone but the board of directors.

Great job for students

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Laguna Hills, CA

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty decent employee discounts, fun atmosphere, good stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things in the motorcycle industry.

Cons

Embarrassingly low pay, typical inflexible corporate method of doing things, micro management

Listen to your front line workers. Customers are generally not interested in poor quality products (ie: Frank Thomas). Empower your employees (or at least asst manager/manager level employees) to make decisions on discounts. Continue to sell at MSRP and Cycle Gear will follow the path of retailers like Best Buy... where consumers walk in to physically exam products before ordering online.

Great Place

Former Employee - Associate in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Cycle Gear full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work at if everybody is fair and the co-workers are good. I greatly enjoyed working with the people i did and that's what made my job so great. Some days are slow, and others are really fast paced. The training was good and the amount you can learn in a short time is enormous.

Cons

On slow days sales goals can be harsh to meet. They have a great many expectations of you, and none of them are harsh. But just one bad day can ruin your week on the charts.

Be a little less strict sometimes. This is a middle-tier retail position and i understand the pressure you are under. This will vary from manager to manager, but there is NO need to be that strict. Take your job seriously and pass that on but do not suffocate your associates.

You can do better than here, trust me

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at Cycle Gear part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Id have to say the only 2 pros are the discount and getting to meet cool people here and there. Thats seriously it.

Cons

Where to start. Well besides making no money and having no life to ride you're motorcycle anymore. The company is now pushing only their exclusive brand "Bilt" over everything else. And the Bilt products honestly suck while you're told to basically lie to customers that they are getting a great quality item. The management is a complete Joke. from the store level to the district leader to the idiots sitting at a desk in corporate. Sales goals can be unrealistic, employees are constantly being let go or quitting. I had an issue with the store manager, reached out to corporate and basically was ignored. If they read this they know exactly who I am. Trust me its not the job you think it will be before you start. A true motorcycle enthusiast should skip this place. And if you're manager
    is anywhere near as evil as mine was goodluck staying out of Jail.

Drop the Bilt brand and you're company might have a future 10 years from now, otherwise along with you're joke of a management team the company will lose alot of business and respect. Though you've already lost mine.