Cymer

Cymer Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Cymer Chairman and CEO Bob Akins

Bob Akins

Pros
  • Competitive pay and benefits package(in 4 reviews)

• The machines are cutting edge, and it's possible to get some good hands-on experience in their labs(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a hard time because the technology is so difficult and changing so rapidly(in 6 reviews)

• Lopsided work life balance causes burnout and high employee turnover(in 3 reviews)

Terrible management culture. Avoid this company.

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsInteresting technology.
    Good pay and benefits.

ConsMixed up management
    Unorganized
    Too much drama
    Worst tech company I've worked with

Company does not promote from within - long standing issue

Materials (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with in a stressful environment.

ConsManagement would rather hire someone from outside and current employees are not given opportunities to advance - long standing issue. There seem to be about 1/2 as many employees needed to support plans. This may be changing in the future, but it doesn't help the current employee base. I can't remember the last time I only worked 40 hours. Long hours needed to tread water.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your current employees an opportunity to grow into new roles.

Good company, Better Colleagues and questionable Politics

Engineering Project Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSolid company with lots of smart people

ConsDecision making process takes a long time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toxic environment

Manifacturing (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPeople have passion and desire to do well. They are truly on the edge of technology and one of the only companies in the market doing this type of work.

ConsTightly held, micro-managed, respect for individuals as professionals is missing, ability to success and think on your own is great hampered by the strong central control of one person.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the leaders be leaders. Stop micro managing and creating an environment of fear.

Great Company, brief experience.

Senior Buyer Planner (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsExtremely intelligent people to work for. Scientists etc... The product is great and the company just went through a merger and will grow substantially in the next few years. The company will do alot of hiring, however they only hire as contract, and not as a full time permanent employee.Therefore there are no benefits involved.

ConsPoor management, some do not know what they are doing, they have no previous experience managagin people.
    Staff employees do not comunicate well with contractors, they seem to ignore contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn people skills...you get more output from your employees if you ask nicely instead of demanding.

Great people....too much middle management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsExcellent benefits, tuition reimbursement, good pay

ConsToo much middle management, not enough focus on technology upgrades within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to upgrade the technologies used at corporate

Dynamic Company

Field Service Analyst (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAccess to C-level executives
    Ability to work on real issues facing the company
    Autonomy (managers do not micro-manage)

ConsThe experience has been great

Over worked and under managed

Senior Electronics Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsEmployee events and community work would be the high points at Cymer followed by the technology.

ConsToo many managers and not enough people doing the work. Managers fail to give priority to tasks and when they do it becomes a moving target. Processes are not defined. You have to chase down a VP to purchase anything. They give you a company cell phone and you get calls at all hours. 80% of my job are tasks that do not require an engineering degree. Politics rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit delivering schedules that can not be met so that employees can concentrate on work and not debating about the schedule. Put employees in tasks related to their strengths.

Stuck in the 80's

ProsThere is good talent working at cymer

ConsUpper management can't recognized good talent and keep the ones that barely due the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your offices and actually take a look at your surroundings. You might not like what you see.

Good friendly work enviorment

Electrical Engineering (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosfriendly, helpful staff, easy to work

Consless compensation compared to other companies

Worked for Cymer? Contribute to the Community!