Cymer

Cymer Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Cymer Chairman and CEO Bob Akins

Bob Akins

Pros
  • Competitive pay and benefits package(in 4 reviews)

• The machines are cutting edge, and it's possible to get some good hands-on experience in their labs(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a hard time because the technology is so difficult and changing so rapidly(in 6 reviews)

• Lopsided work life balance causes burnout and high employee turnover(in 3 reviews)

Awesome technology and some really great people; high stress and management with little foresight

Engineering Project Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe pay is good for a corporate job. The environment is great if you're a self starter who can finish things quickly and honestly. There are TONS of smart people to learn from, so the experience you gain is top-tier.

ConsUpper management has a hard time because the technology is so difficult and changing so rapidly. Very difficult company to apply a traditional upper management scheme to, and it is felt at lower levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry more about providing stability to the people beneath you instead of constantly focusing on making a good name for yourself within the upper ranks.

It used to be a cooperative culture, but that was improved with a dysfunctional system.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWork on very complex technology. Learning opportunities.

ConsDeciding between doing what needs to be done, or what you are told. Repeatedly revisiting issues rather than resolving them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can increase profitability by using your experienced workers as business advisers, rather than going top down.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPros - good benefits, smart people, good cafeteria, work-life balance

ConsCons - management switches strategy too often, unclear goals

Advice to Senior Managementstick to a strategy for more than 2 months, follow the anticipate, plan, flawlessly execute mantra

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A very challenging but interesting experience.

Staff Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsManufacturing Laser Systems which are sold to the semiconductor industry.

ConsTraining can be improved and be ready to pick up more responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers were approachable and lead by example

Not as rewarding as most would suspect.

ProsCulture is good. Everyone seems to enjoy the casual atmosphere.

ConsNoticeable backstabbing among employees. Very obvious to visitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more visible to employees, and not only at company events.

Love It!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCulture - Great focus on employees and their families. Multiple events are hosted each year to celebrate employees' hard work and bring people together. The company has a strong desire to give back to the community that is clearly shared by its employees with a ton of volunteer hours each year.

Management - They are genuinely interested in your career path and progress. They offer a guiding hand without micromanaging and hard work is definitely recognized and rewarded.

Coworkers - I really enjoy the people I work with in my department and at the company in general. Everyone is very nice and most are easy to work with to accomplish common goals.

ConsSlow adoption to current software and hardware systems.

Large, disorganized, confusing

ProsThere are good-hearted, helpful people at Cymer that truly care about the technology and about others. The work is fast-paced and there can be lots of travel opportunities with the merger and emerging technology. There is also a lot of opportunity for networking and education.

ConsThere is no organization. Difficult personalities. It is hard to see the true reward of working in the industry when you are buried in corporate administration. Overabundance of meetings get in the way of completing anything. Most real engineering is done by contractors. Matrix management yields too many people in the chain of command. The HR department is completely incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company in some ways, but lots of cons in terms of organization and people.

Good experience, neat product that nobody has heard of

Mechanical Engineer (Engineer III, Mechanical Design) (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe machines are cutting edge, and it's possible to get some good hands-on experience in their labs. Cymer is a diverse place, the people are smart and there is a generally casual attitude (jeans are normal attire for engineers.) There are opportunities here if you are interested in management roles. Cymer tends to pay well.

ConsCymer (and ASML, the parent company) rushes their designs too much. The majority of the 'real' design roles have disappeared from Cymer, and are handled by ASML in the Netherlands. I wouldn't recommend Cymer for design engineering experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and design a better product before sending it to customers. Thank you for paying your employees well.

Sr. Manager

Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCutting edge technologies, work colleagues and educational opportunities. Company celebrations and moral building cookouts.

ConsWouldn't need moral building cookouts if the company respected and valued its employees. "What have you done for me lately" mentality from management. Unfair management supported by HR department.

Advice to Senior ManagementASML needs to clean house and eliminate Cymer's director and senior director level. ASML already has superior directors making Cymer directors redundant and costly

Great technology and compensation

Engineering Project Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCompensation and benefits – Cymer pays their employees a competitive salary, and has a great 401K + medical plan.

Growth – I started off in a junior position and moved into a leadership role within a year. Cymer hires the best talent in the industry and gives opportunity to grow and expand roles and responsibilities if there is a willingness to work hard and learn.

The People – I had the pleasure to work with some of the brightest engineers, scientists, and program managers in the industry at Cymer. Most people were willing to teach if there was a willingness to learn.

Technology – Work on the bleeding edge of technology to enable future technology.

ConsWork / Life Balance – Members of test + integration staff members work long hours at home and abroad. Management sends employees internationally without notice.

Politics – Lots of infighting between managers. Senior management hordes information and trades it as bargaining chips.

Culture – Witnessed the GM for a business unit refer to an engineering project manager as the “village idiot” on numerous occasions. The pace is extremely fast with a sharp learning curve and it can be difficult to learn the entire process. If you can become successful at Cymer, you can be successful at most other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to communicate better between departments.

Worked for Cymer? Contribute to the Community!