Cymer Reviews

Reset

Great people until you get to the Executive Suite

Former Employee - Engineering in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The intelligence and energy of the people make this company a very special place. There is a strong work ethic and desire to do the right thing.

Cons

This company is being led by one person, the President and COO who insists on approving everything including simple briefings. If you are willing to be a puppet and let him pull your strings then you will be greatly successful as a leader at Cymer. If you have a mind of your own or any expertise at all he feels threatened and attacks by sabotaging your ability to be successful. When I first joined the organization, I was excited by the vision and the opportunities. That is until my first meeting with the President who let me know clearly that he did not care about my background, experience or opinions. He simply wanted me to do what he told me to do and would not approve anything else.

Advice to Management

Realize the damage that one person can make in an organization that has so much potential and do something about it.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - EUV Field Service Engineer in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - EUV Field Service Engineer in Albany, NY

I have been working at Cymer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company with a small company feel

Cons

No corporate cards. when traveling you on the most part have to pay then reinburst.

Long hours, current management promotes an environment of mobbing

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cymer full-time

Pros

- Relatively well paid - Some people are really helpful and very willing to be out of their way to help - At the center of a dominated industry - the company size is small enough for everyone to feel like they can contribute to make changes happen - culturally and ethnically diverse - a lot of opportunities to get exposures to different technical areas

Cons

- Cymer, a much smaller sized organization, is being forced into adapting ASML's big organization's Way-of-Working, which does not work and added way too much paperwork - Part of the management created a distrust of management, where people worry about their career future and feeling being taken advantage of. - Very long hours (12-hour work day is normal), yet the management or HR does not officially address everyone's over-time by offering means of payment, compensation time off or equivalent. - Management created an environment that promotes workplace bullying, where certain groups of people would deliberately, for extended period of time (months to over few years), withhold resources, delay approvals and process, undermine legitimate business interests and secretively allocate resources where they were not approved - HR does not hold accountability of their own actions. Such as not impartially protecting the involving parties of their innocence, or not handling criticisms well to address the inherent problems, rather, the criticisms of HR are often dismissed by senior HR members.

Advice to Management

- Address HR's action accountability, currently there is no real organization that could police HR's actions - Address the gross over-time issues by offering something in compensation - Address Management's protocol to dealing with individuals or groups that repeatedly bully people in need support, since so far, actions are so inconsequential that bullies continue to carry out bullying

5. Cymer review

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very good. successful company with cutting edge technology. Real good compensation and bonuses for the whole workforce.

Cons

Workload may be too heavy at times.Intermediate and sudden requests to employees to take international trips to solve problems.

Advice to Management

Scientists are respected a lot as they are due. On the other hand SW developers not always get the respect and appreciation they deserve for the effort and the value they add. It may be a real good idea for the management to appreciate the contributions of SW folks and other engineering disciplines.

You are a temp.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When times are good the money flows. The product is interesting. Very high tech.

Cons

The semiconductor industry is very cyclic. When it is down the company cuts staff deeply. Even engineering is wiped out. They build up a new engineering staff every cycle. The cycles are on the order of 3 years. And each new cycle they tell the new comers that they've changed. They say their are turning around their reputation for lay-offs. But you won't be around on the next cycle when they tell the next group the same thing. It's a laser company. Physics and optics are king. Engineering is a service organization. Everyone outside the inner circle is a temp.

7. Best job ever

I worked at Cymer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of challenging projects and tremendous high moral

Cons

Very fast paced schedules for those of us who are a bit perfectionists

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Mixed experience

I worked at Cymer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities, lots of smart hardworking employees, cutting edge technology, & and takeover by one of the leading equipment vendors in the semiconductor industry. Systems , procedures, and methods continuously improving post acquisition. Lots of fun events for employees. Community fund raising activities.

Cons

Experience will depend on your manager. Some have poor communication style and no leadership skills ( or training)... So be careful not to end up under an incompetent manager. Management has big company mentality without the scale or resources to play in the 'major leagues' ( improving post ASML take over). Dynamic environment if you are coming in from a company outside the semiconductor industry. Management constantly operating in fire fighter mode vs being proactive... No structured problem solving methods, lean, six sigma, etc... Lots of decisions based on limited data with no statistical validation. All R&D efforts are focused on a single (but critical to the industry) product.

Advice to Management

Send management for leadership skills training.

9. Good

I worked at Cymer

Pros

good environment and good place to start up your career good environment and good place to start up your career good environment and good place to start up your career

Cons

full work pressure, and communication between manager and team is too bad full work pressure, and communication between manager and team is too bad

Cool technology but people burn out.

Former Employee - Senior Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool technology. Plenty of opportunity to learn. Budgets are good and you will work with great people. Compensation is also good, especially when business is good.

Cons

Chaotic environment caused by sever technical challenges and optimistic commitments to customers. Too much turnover.

Advice to Management

Try to keep higher management longer to improve organizational stability

I had a good and often a challenging experience at Cymer

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cymer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While at Cymer, I met a lot of interesting people. Most of the time I was challenged and I learnt a lot. Enjoyed my time there.

Cons

The Company could do more to provide hands on experience so that new people could be more productive and effective team members, much sooner.

Advice to Management

Have a proactive and effective training programs.

RSS Feed </> Embed