Cymer

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Phenomenal

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople and pay are the pros of this company

Conscould get dry at times are the cons

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great intern program!

Great technology and compensation

Engineering Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation and benefits – Cymer pays their employees a competitive salary, and has a great 401K + medical plan.

Growth – I started off in a junior position and moved into a leadership role within a year. Cymer hires the best talent in the industry and gives opportunity to grow and expand roles and responsibilities if there is a willingness to work hard and learn.

The People – I had the pleasure to work with some of the brightest engineers, scientists, and program managers in the industry at Cymer. Most people were willing to teach if there was a willingness to learn.

Technology – Work on the bleeding edge of technology to enable future technology.

ConsWork / Life Balance – Members of test + integration staff members work long hours at home and abroad. Management sends employees internationally without notice.

Politics – Lots of infighting between managers. Senior management hordes information and trades it as bargaining chips.

Culture – Witnessed the GM for a business unit refer to an engineering project manager as the “village idiot” on numerous occasions. The pace is extremely fast with a sharp learning curve and it can be difficult to learn the entire process. If you can become successful at Cymer, you can be successful at most other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to communicate better between departments.

Hard Workers Rewarded

Technical Writer, Senior (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is a team environment at Cymer, a sense that everyone contributes something of value to the organization. Those who do not contribute do not last long. Hard work is rewarded with pay increases, bonuses and/or stock options.

ConsWhen the belt gets tight (cycle tied to the semi-conductor industry) there can be vast layoffs and departments can become seriously understaffed. The organization seems to be top heavy yet upper management seems to be the last place to take any "hits" during layoffs (which does not make for the best overall work environment).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen making decisions to lay off employees, cut less from your bottom line and more from your Director/Sr. Manager levels.

Confusing work environment

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting technology. Decent compensation and benefits. Good location and weather.

ConsWeak and confused senior management. Inefficient operations. Politicized and unclear decision making process. Everything requires top management formal approval. New flagship product (EUV Source) release 3+ years behind original schedule. Lopsided work life balance causes burnout and high employee turnover.

Mixed Bag of Good & Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat technology, good pay and benefits. EUV is separate division controlled by ASML, better run, more opportunity

ConsThe Light Source division is run by the old CEO. No-one is empowered to do anything without his agreement. Won't hear any dissent, hence surrounded by 'Yes' men who simply re-enforce his views. Decision making is consequently painfully slow, which makes the customer support extremely difficult for the folks in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management (Light Source Div), empower the employees to actually be able to 'do' what you pay them for.

good

Electronics Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cymer full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people , overall good company

Conscant think of one , overall very good company

I had a great summer intern experience at Cymer.

Tech Development Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer as an intern for less than a year

ProsMy project was interesting, complicated enough, and meaningful. Fun intern activities planned. Good sense of belonging.

ConsWould have liked to work with a larger team. Not always easy to get help when needed.

Interesting technical challenges, dynamic work environment, long hours

Engineering Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer full-time

ProsVaried work. Opportunities for driven employees. Technically challenging.

ConsUsed to have excellent short and long term incentive plans, now more of a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse incentive plans to retain employees. Staff to improve work life balance.

an ok company but don't expect too much as well

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer full-time for more than a year

Proscolleagues are able to share many informations & experiences so make work much easier

Consthere is no room for promotion

Advice to Senior Managementnothing because it is already brought over by asml

great company

Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cymer full-time for more than a year

Prosbest place to work and great professional employeees

Consthe meetings every week took up time with no purpose

Advice to Senior Managementcut the engineering meetings with Jack

Worked for Cymer? Contribute to the Community!

Cymer Videos

Cymer – Why Work for Us?

Cymer is the market-leading provider of sophisticated light sources—used by chipmakers to pattern advanced semiconductor chips and by display makers to manufacture advanced flat panel displays. Cymer's global installed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cymer reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cymer CEO Bob Akins. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Cymer employees.