Cynthia Rowley

Peter Arnold

Just ok...

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cynthia Rowley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's fun to wear the designer's clothes while working. You make commission on what you sell. Pretty flexible hours.

Cons

The stores are very slow volume so the chance of making a lot of money from commission is slim. You really need to have a strong clientele. No lunch breaks since most of the time you're there alone and you can't leave the store for 8+ hours. You don't really get trained on the pos system or company procedures, you kind of learn as you go. A good resume builder but not a long term job.

Sometimes I would wake up in a cold sweat because I had to go to work that day.

I worked at Cynthia Rowley

Pros

Working alongside fashion designers in a fast paced environment

Cons

Due to the nature of the company, the workplace is extremely competitive and aggressive. The competitive nature creates an environment in which employees are disrespected and unappreciated. During my time there, I was uncomfortable with asking for help because I was looked down upon. If I made a mistake, instead of guiding me through the solution, I was reprimanded and judged and blamed for every problem that followed. I was afraid to leave before 6:30pm and worked almost every weekend, even though I was told I would not have to. There is no management or support for each other; this just adds to the tense atmosphere throughout the entire office. The office is terribly unorganized but no one realizes it. The management is jaded to the fact that the company needs structure and believes there is nothing wrong with treating employees poorly. I would not suggest working here unless you absolutely wanted to work in the fashion industry and was willing to put up with an uncomfortable atmosphere and rude supervisors.

Create a friendlier environment in which you nurture your employees rather than yell and threaten to fire them

The most unprofessional, and disorganized experience of my career.

I worked at Cynthia Rowley

Pros

Intimate work environment in a small office.

Cons

Do not trust what you are told when you interview as many are given blatant lies regarding the office culture, benefits, etc. No matter which department you are in, your job is to manage the ego and obscene expectations of the designer who throws you and everyone around you into a tailspin daily. She is the obstacle in accomplishing anything within this brand/office. No one is happy with 95% of the team always looking for a new job, which is commonly open conversation (and a coping mechanism) for that office. There are other HR practices that I also find questionable. There is a "work around the clock" mentality here as well. Though the office day ends at 6:30. Staff members are frightened to ever leave on time, and try to avoid being seen leaving the office...even if if its already 7pm or later. Take heed and consider all prior glass door reviews seriously, no matter how old they are. Nothing apparently has changed, or ever will.

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cynthia Rowley is a great company to work for. She is awesome and mostly everyone who works in the office is very hard working, smart, and talented. It's small, so it's sometimes a bit disorganized and chaotic, but it's the nature of the business. It also is a plus that her designs are amazing. The brand will continue to grow.

Cons

Disorganized, but that will come with a lot of smaller fashion companies.

intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Cynthia Rowley as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

no stress, get to work with designers, nice people, get to see their creative fabrics print and embroideries, they are open to let you see the design in process. it is okay for newbies in the fashion industry. working in great neighborhood.

Cons

no organization/culture, intern seems to be an extra burden for them sometimes. I still didn't know who on earth is my supervisor and if they actually check their emails everyday.

Terrible Work Environment

Former Intern - Production Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Production Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It is true you do learn a bit about the industry, and it made me believe everyone in the industry is as cruel and disorganized as this company

Cons

The employees including the famous designer herself is completely disrespectful to the interns. The production company that we deal with has on several occasion been entirely unprofessional. It was an experience from hell.

Just quit

Nice Place to Work

I worked at Cynthia Rowley

Pros

It's not a very stressful atmosphere and the clothing is beautiful which makes the job much easier.

Cons

The business isn't as organized as other companies I've worked for, so that was the biggest downfall.

managing others egos.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley as an intern

Pros

Great office with access to all people working at the company.

Cons

Little to no help with tasks when requested. Everyone acts like they are too busy to help and give no proper direction when necessary. No culture in the company.

Instead of looking down at interns and ignoring them, teach us a few things and appreciate us working for you.

Unorganized, terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cynthia Rowley full-time

Pros

You get to work with great clothes and you don't have anyone really micro-managing you!

Cons

You may not hear from corporate for days! Everyone in corporate is terribly unorganized, doesn't support you, and no matter what, it's always your fault.

Get your act together!

Worst internship opportunity ever!

Former Intern - PR Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - PR Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Hmmmm... Learned a lot about mental abuse. Learned that communication is vital in company success.

Cons

Felt totally used. Paid my own taxi and subway fair for their errands. Mentally and physically abusive. No one said good bye or thank you on my last day.

Do not take on interns if you do not have time or patience to mentor. I think this company has a reputation in the business therefore people who apply are not top notch. This company has potential but is not focused.