Cynthia Rowley

2.1

Peter Arnold

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cynthia Rowley is a great company to work for. She is awesome and mostly everyone who works in the office is very hard working, smart, and talented. It's small, so it's sometimes a bit disorganized and chaotic, but it's the nature of the business. It also is a plus that her designs are amazing. The brand will continue to grow.

Cons

Disorganized, but that will come with a lot of smaller fashion companies.

The most unprofessional, and disorganized experience of my career.

I worked at Cynthia Rowley

Pros

Intimate work environment in a small office.

Cons

Do not trust what you are told when you interview as many are given blatant lies regarding the office culture, benefits, etc. No matter which department you are in, your job is to manage the ego and obscene expectations of the designer who throws you and everyone around you into a tailspin daily. She is the obstacle in accomplishing anything within this brand/office. No one is happy with 95% of the team always looking for a new job, which is commonly open conversation (and a coping mechanism) for that office. There are other HR practices that I also find questionable. There is a "work around the clock" mentality here as well. Though the office day ends at 6:30. Staff members are frightened to ever leave on time, and try to avoid being seen leaving the office...even if if its already 7pm or later. Take heed and consider all prior glass door reviews seriously, no matter how old they are. Nothing apparently has changed, or ever will.

intern

I worked at Cynthia Rowley as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

no stress, get to work with designers, nice people, get to see their creative fabrics print and embroideries, they are open to let you see the design in process. it is okay for newbies in the fashion industry. working in great neighborhood.

Cons

no organization/culture, intern seems to be an extra burden for them sometimes. I still didn't know who on earth is my supervisor and if they actually check their emails everyday.

Terrible Work Environment

Former Employee - Production Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It is true you do learn a bit about the industry, and it made me believe everyone in the industry is as cruel and disorganized as this company

Cons

The employees including the famous designer herself is completely disrespectful to the interns. The production company that we deal with has on several occasion been entirely unprofessional. It was an experience from hell.

Just quit

Nice Place to Work

I worked at Cynthia Rowley

Pros

It's not a very stressful atmosphere and the clothing is beautiful which makes the job much easier.

Cons

The business isn't as organized as other companies I've worked for, so that was the biggest downfall.

managing others egos.

I worked at Cynthia Rowley as an intern

Pros

Great office with access to all people working at the company.

Cons

Little to no help with tasks when requested. Everyone acts like they are too busy to help and give no proper direction when necessary. No culture in the company.

Instead of looking down at interns and ignoring them, teach us a few things and appreciate us working for you.

Unorganized, terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cynthia Rowley full-time

Pros

You get to work with great clothes and you don't have anyone really micro-managing you!

Cons

You may not hear from corporate for days! Everyone in corporate is terribly unorganized, doesn't support you, and no matter what, it's always your fault.

Get your act together!

Worst internship opportunity ever!

Former Employee - PR Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - PR Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hmmmm... Learned a lot about mental abuse. Learned that communication is vital in company success.

Cons

Felt totally used. Paid my own taxi and subway fair for their errands. Mentally and physically abusive. No one said good bye or thank you on my last day.

Do not take on interns if you do not have time or patience to mentor. I think this company has a reputation in the business therefore people who apply are not top notch. This company has potential but is not focused.

I loved interning, I hated working for them.

Former Employee - PR Intern, Assistant to Business Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - PR Intern, Assistant to Business Director in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley

Pros

When I was an intern I worked hard and felt rewarded and respected for the work I put in and in turn I worked even harder....came in on Saturdays when needed. Cynthia is always around and she can be friendly if she likes you. The great thing is if they like you and you work hard they may give you a job!.....they seem to have a high turn over rate which leads me to the cons.

Cons

Someone else said there was an employee that is very permanent that is VERY RUDE. That was my boss. I was the first to work in my position so they never gave me any proper idea of what I was to do other than "assist" this person. I was way over worked, underpaid and had no idea what I was doing. This was my first ever big girl job and I desperately wanted to do a good job but when I did something wrong I was treated like an idiot and if I did something right it went unnoticed. The work environment was hostile. I was so anxious I'd get sick before having to go to work and would be upset after work. They expect too much of you and give you little to nothing in return. I loved interning but once I became an employee I hated it. In the time that I was there two people were fired and after I quit two more girls quit....there are only about 20 employees that work there. They try to blame everyone else except the one person that is the problem. Oh well.

Get rid of the person that can't seem to get along with people and has a sour face 24/7. She may do a good job but no one likes her or wants to work for her.

Be nice.

CR Intern

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Cynthia Rowley

Pros

I think you get a good look at how the fashion business is like.

oh, and Cynthia was always around, which was cool.

Cons

To be honest I didn't learn anything here except for the fact that I DON'T want to work in fashion anymore. You can tell that the management team here really does not care about what the intern gains out of the experience, its all for the benefit of them. I didn't do anything worthwhile here. It's a shame because there's potentially a lot that an intern can gain out of here since its a small group of fulltime workers and you can talk to the directors, but most are rather condescending and could careless about you.

The facilities were pretty bad as well - the computers were all very old, and they just crammed the interns in the basement which was brutal in the summertime since there was no air conditioning. oh, and there were definitely rats down there, too.

Treat your interns better.