Cyrus Innovation

1 Rating

Great XP environment

Current Employee - Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The paid professional development time and budget are great. I love being able to go to conferences and work on pet projects. A lot of companies say that they invest in their employees but Cyrus really does.
    It's also a great environment. We do a lot of pair programming which makes coding a lot of fun. We also TDD all of our code and put a lot of effort into making it high quality well architected software. I feel proud of our work.

Cons

A lot of the Cons have to do with the fact that Cyrus is a consultancy. I like the novelty of working on lots of different projects but it can also be stressful to not know what the next thing will be. It can also be frustrating to not have ownership over the software.

I like that the management makes an effort to listen and get feedback from all of the developers and to be as open and transparent as possible.

A good place if you fit in, a horrible place if you don't.

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time

Pros

In Cyrus you are surrounded by people who are motivated and excited about what they are doing. The hire process was a very efficient approach -- I had an offer in my hand a week after I sent out my resume. I haven't experienced any deadlines and never felt overworked. The agile process was a nice change from a complete lack of setting goals in many other places.

Cons

Cyrus resembles a cult in many ways. You are expected to do things a certain way and you're expected to like it. Yes, you are welcome to express issues and concerns and you will be listened to, just be aware that if you happen to disagree with some generally accepted ideas and express what you feel, you may be on your way out. This may also happen if you don't constantly express enthusiasm and attempt to keep to yourself. I understand they want a tight group so that approach may make sense, however, this ends up creating a very closed-minded environment in regard to certain things. For example, you are expected to be paired 100% of the time, even if you are not good match with you pair or under circumstances when pairing just doesn't make sense. I'm not against paired programming in general, but there is certain logic behind it and there is no understanding of it at Cyrus. There are other things that are pretty difficult to understand and tolerate (refusal to use a debugger, etc) for someone who has been developing on his/her own for some years, which is probably why they like to hire very young people...
    I was initially inspired by the enthusiasm at Cyrus but after some time I had trouble telling whether the people are very talented or just very full of it. Either way they certainly don't lack in confidence whether it's backed up by competence or not.

Fell in love with many Agile practices and learned to abhor Pair Programming

Former Employee - Mid Level Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mid Level Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance is the best I ever experienced. For a smallish company, they really go out of their way to compete with the perks provided by Google, Facebook, etc.
    Worked with brilliant and interesting people.

Cons

Full time Pair Programming was very tiresome. A true 8-hour day is actually a LONG time when you spend the entire time sitting at an unpersonalized workstation with another developer the entire day.
    Worked several months on a silly make-work web app that eventually got dropped on the floor.
    Really wanted to build experience in Java, but got stuck on RoR projects instead.

Excellent culture that values employee involvement

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance; steady advancement opportunities; collaborative atmosphere; management open to ideas for improvement; Agile principles embraced company-wide, bottom to top; teams are given board abilities to self-govern; excellent professional development budget (time & money); quarterly meetings helped strengthen company culture and work through company issues

Cons

Limited opportunity to differentiate yourself and advance at the top end of programmer career; like all consultancies, there can be cultural differences with clients that can be tricky to navigate; can be difficult to get assigned to a different project

The two things I valued most while at Cyrus were 1) agile principles and practices were used company-wide, and 2) I could help effect change at the company. Maintaining these qualities will lead to continuing success.

Agile Consultancy with great professional growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Agile Coach in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Agile Coach in New York, NY

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation

Pros

The company gives you time and money to study and they give you complete control over how that is used. Conferences is the obvious choice, but I took time off to learn a new language that was not used on any project because I was interested in it. They ask, but don't require that you share the knowledge with others in the company, maintaining a good knowledge of who is the person to talk. Cyrus believes in having a good life outside of work as well and try to make your personal life better because of the benefits that Cyrus provides.

Cons

Most of the problems are inherent in consultancies. The clients have a problem, that's why they bring in outside help, but want to improve. You are given a say in which client(s) you work with, but it's just one part in the decision of where you are placed.

The people were nice but advancement in the company was challenging.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cyrus Innovation

Pros

Flexible work schedule, the people were nice and you can dress casual.

Cons

You only get respect if you are senior management and it is difficult to move up in the company. Diversity is seriously lacking. Not a lot of women or people of color in high places.

Interesting work; disorganized

I worked at Cyrus Innovation

Pros

Cyrus offers good work-life balance. The projects can be interesting and there are opportunities to learn.

Cons

Project planning and scheduling was scattered, and the team structure, and rules made work inefficient. Culturally, Cyrus could benefit from some improvement with openness and tolerance to differences; it can get cliquish here. Also, sometimes administratively irresponsible.

Managers could do their jobs better with some training on how to work with, motivate and help develop employees with different personalities, background and skill sets.