Cyrus Innovation

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bruce Eckfeldt

Excellent culture that values employee involvement

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent work/life balance; steady advancement opportunities; collaborative atmosphere; management open to ideas for improvement; Agile principles embraced company-wide, bottom to top; teams are given board abilities to self-govern; excellent professional development budget (time & money); quarterly meetings helped strengthen company culture and work through company issues

ConsLimited opportunity to differentiate yourself and advance at the top end of programmer career; like all consultancies, there can be cultural differences with clients that can be tricky to navigate; can be difficult to get assigned to a different project

Advice to Senior ManagementThe two things I valued most while at Cyrus were 1) agile principles and practices were used company-wide, and 2) I could help effect change at the company. Maintaining these qualities will lead to continuing success.

Fell in love with many Agile practices and learned to abhor Pair Programming

Mid Level Developer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Cyrus Innovation full-time for less than a year

ProsWork/life balance is the best I ever experienced. For a smallish company, they really go out of their way to compete with the perks provided by Google, Facebook, etc.
Worked with brilliant and interesting people.

ConsFull time Pair Programming was very tiresome. A true 8-hour day is actually a LONG time when you spend the entire time sitting at an unpersonalized workstation with another developer the entire day.
Worked several months on a silly make-work web app that eventually got dropped on the floor.
Really wanted to build experience in Java, but got stuck on RoR projects instead.

Agile Consultancy with great professional growth opportunities.

Agile Coach (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cyrus Innovation

ProsThe company gives you time and money to study and they give you complete control over how that is used. Conferences is the obvious choice, but I took time off to learn a new language that was not used on any project because I was interested in it. They ask, but don't require that you share the knowledge with others in the company, maintaining a good knowledge of who is the person to talk. Cyrus believes in having a good life outside of work as well and try to make your personal life better because of the benefits that Cyrus provides.

ConsMost of the problems are inherent in consultancies. The clients have a problem, that's why they bring in outside help, but want to improve. You are given a say in which client(s) you work with, but it's just one part in the decision of where you are placed.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The people were nice but advancement in the company was challenging.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cyrus Innovation

ProsFlexible work schedule, the people were nice and you can dress casual.

ConsYou only get respect if you are senior management and it is difficult to move up in the company. Diversity is seriously lacking. Not a lot of women or people of color in high places.

Interesting work; disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cyrus Innovation

ProsCyrus offers good work-life balance. The projects can be interesting and there are opportunities to learn.

ConsProject planning and scheduling was scattered, and the team structure, and rules made work inefficient. Culturally, Cyrus could benefit from some improvement with openness and tolerance to differences; it can get cliquish here. Also, sometimes administratively irresponsible.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers could do their jobs better with some training on how to work with, motivate and help develop employees with different personalities, background and skill sets.

Worked for Cyrus Innovation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cyrus Innovation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cyrus Innovation CEO Bruce Eckfeldt. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Cyrus Innovation employees.