Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

www.cff.org

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – Bethesda – “4th annual Brewers Ball to support the Cystic…”

Robert J. Beall

Great Place

Finance Intern (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsEveryone is extremely nice and easy to work with.

ConsObjectives can sometimes be confusing

Awful 1st year w no ramp up time

Development Director (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsVolunteer core is critically important, dedicated and supportive to cause

ConsOrganization runs a very lean ship. Low overhead means little support and great expectations. Management doesn't have a clue what it takes to support numerous events successfully.

Totally corporate with clueless and confrontational middle management

Pros- Curing CF is obviously difficult. The Foundation is the leader in the search for a cure. Knowing this makes you feel somewhat rewarded.

ConsWhere to begin? Besides the middle/upper management being absolutely unprofessional and rude to their entry level employees, there is a severe disconnect between departments. I have never worked in an environment where collaboration and teamwork was so vehemently discouraged.

Additionally, getting anything done that requires management approval takes months to accomplish. There are many managers here who needlessly assign tasks and edits as busywork - even if the final product was ready seven drafts ago.

Insofar as to "rudeness," multiple managers and middle managers have, as pressured by their bosses, micromanaged to the point of offensiveness. If you hired me for a position, some leeway to actually fulfill it would be appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your entry level employees do a majority of the work, the least you can do is treat them with a semblance of respect. Allow them professional development opportunities and treat them like teammates rather than nuisances.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is a busy, robust highly effective place to work.

Senior Management (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent team work. Amazing volunteers. Incredible progress in drug discovery. Proud to work with CFF.

ConsLong hours that include many nights and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating your strategic plan.

Great team of people working towards a great mission.

Senior Director - Development (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWonderful colleagues. Casual and fun environment. The mission of the organization and the volunteers are incredible. Strong national partners.

ConsMany nights and weekends are expected to run events. There is very little flex time offered. The senior leadership doesn't always have a clear roll and there is not significant opportunity for professional growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more flex time and hold senior management accountable to supporting the rest of the team!

A very rewarding experience

Priority Events Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission with creative work

Conssmall and quiet office with few people, but great teamwork

Great Internship

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team and environment. Learn a lot quickly and get a lot of responsibilities for an intern.

ConsUnpaid. Work night and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Okay for now.

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsFriendly people, decent events, relaxed environment, good options for places to eat.

Conshorrible parking in the garage

One-of-a-kind internship program where you get to make a difference.

Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHands on experience for interns. I handled a diversity of tasks and was fully ingrained in the culture of the organization. I was asked to come back the following year as a committee member for the same event that I worked as an intern and accepted.

ConsAs an intern, it was unpaid. Small staff size/lack of opportunity.

Great Cause - Bad Leadership and Management

Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLoved working for such a great cause and getting to know and interact with the volunteers, families and supporters. Able to see where efforts were making a difference. Management in the office was very aware and responsive to employees invidividual needs. Greatly enjoyed my co-workers in the office but was hard to see them unhappy in their jobs as well.

ConsManagement is very top down from National. Try to fit all chapters into the same box giving us no control to modify events to better fit our supporters and our community. Communication from National was horrible. Directives, policies and procedures were constantly changing or being implemented before they had been finalized resulting in constant changes and corrections. Very little appreciation of staff that puts in long hours for very little pay. Pay was also way less then similar non-profit positions and raises (if you can even call it that) were a joke. No incentive to stay at the company long term because there is no process for moving up into a new position or development of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication! Seek advice and recommendations on things that work and things that don't work from the local chapters that are actually implementing your policies and procedures and ACTUALLY listen to them and act. Create a plan for developing employees to move them up through the ranks in order to encourage employees to stay long-term at the Foundation. In my short year at the Foundation I saw 3 very qualified and extremely talented employees for the same reasons and 3 fellow employees who had their foot out the door. Hard to see such amazing talent leave knowing how beneficial they could be at the Foundation.

Worked for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation? Contribute to the Community!