Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
www.cff.org Bethesda, MD 500 to 999 Employees

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – Bethesda – “4th annual Brewers Ball to support the Cystic…”

Robert J. Beall

Great team of people working towards a great mission.

Senior Director - Development (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time for more than a year

ProsWonderful colleagues. Casual and fun environment. The mission of the organization and the volunteers are incredible. Strong national partners.

ConsMany nights and weekends are expected to run events. There is very little flex time offered. The senior leadership doesn't always have a clear roll and there is not significant opportunity for professional growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more flex time and hold senior management accountable to supporting the rest of the team!

A very rewarding experience

Priority Events Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat mission with creative work

Conssmall and quiet office with few people, but great teamwork

Great Internship

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat team and environment. Learn a lot quickly and get a lot of responsibilities for an intern.

ConsUnpaid. Work night and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Okay for now.

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFriendly people, decent events, relaxed environment, good options for places to eat.

Conshorrible parking in the garage

One-of-a-kind internship program where you get to make a difference.

Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as an intern for less than a year

ProsHands on experience for interns. I handled a diversity of tasks and was fully ingrained in the culture of the organization. I was asked to come back the following year as a committee member for the same event that I worked as an intern and accepted.

ConsAs an intern, it was unpaid. Small staff size/lack of opportunity.

Great Cause - Bad Leadership and Management

Logistics Specialist (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time for more than a year

ProsLoved working for such a great cause and getting to know and interact with the volunteers, families and supporters. Able to see where efforts were making a difference. Management in the office was very aware and responsive to employees invidividual needs. Greatly enjoyed my co-workers in the office but was hard to see them unhappy in their jobs as well.

ConsManagement is very top down from National. Try to fit all chapters into the same box giving us no control to modify events to better fit our supporters and our community. Communication from National was horrible. Directives, policies and procedures were constantly changing or being implemented before they had been finalized resulting in constant changes and corrections. Very little appreciation of staff that puts in long hours for very little pay. Pay was also way less then similar non-profit positions and raises (if you can even call it that) were a joke. No incentive to stay at the company long term because there is no process for moving up into a new position or development of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication! Seek advice and recommendations on things that work and things that don't work from the local chapters that are actually implementing your policies and procedures and ACTUALLY listen to them and act. Create a plan for developing employees to move them up through the ranks in order to encourage employees to stay long-term at the Foundation. In my short year at the Foundation I saw 3 very qualified and extremely talented employees for the same reasons and 3 fellow employees who had their foot out the door. Hard to see such amazing talent leave knowing how beneficial they could be at the Foundation.

Development Director

Director of Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great cause and great support from supervisors.

ConsLong hours and it's hard to make the increasing goals every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf if a staff person does really well, reward them with a raise that is higher than the people who are not doing well. What is the point of working hard, if the raises are the same.

Run for the hills!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros-Fraud hotline means business if you need to use it.

Cons-Terrible disconnect between national and local chapters.
-Not at all innovative
-Hired an exec. director to manage our office who was falsifying expense reports/not coming to work and national never figured it out.
-Exec. Director would contact staff people at nights/wknds because they never came into the office.
-No work/life balance
-Terrible place - stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with all staff people regularly to get the scoop on what is actually going on.

A very positive experience, where you feel good about working for a great cause.

Manager (Current Employee)
Bethesda, MD

ProsGreat cause, very well run organization, clear job description, good work environment. Good emphasis on work-life balance.

ConsUnsure about salary competitiveness, no insurance coverage for the first three months of employment

The CF Foundation does amazing things

Logistics Specialist (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation full-time for more than a year

ProsWork with great people all of the time

ConsThe Foundation has a very corporate feel to it

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up communication

Worked for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation CEO Robert J. Beall. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Cystic Fibrosis Foundation employees.