D'Amico & Partners

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard D'Amico

Best job! Best Career!

ProsI have worked with D'Amico & Partners for many, many years and still love it to this day. I have had the pleasure to see the company grow and become an incredible company with many talented people. The owners of this company, Richard, Larry and Paul are some of the most, knowledgeable, generous and kind individuals. Kindness and generosity that is not boasted about to get the "credit" of doing it. That I admire very much. There is so much opportunity to move up and make a career with this company. As a single parent, I learned early on in my days working with this company that my home life was honored by all three of the owners Richard, Larry and Paul. I have appreciated that so very much. I witness the "D'Amico Famiglia" spirit often.

ConsI wish that we had better wifi connections for our guests.

Always made to feel like part of the family

Management (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a successful restaurant company with a family feel. They have provided me with an opportunity and I have been able to run with it and advance at a pretty fast pace. The pay is among the best in the area for the position which makes you feel really appreciated. The feeling of a caring atmosphere is passed on from the very top all the way through. This has also been a great company to work for while starting a family. They have shown they really care about their employees lives outside of the restaurant as well.

ConsWe don't see the ownership as much as we would like, but the communication is set up in a way so we know their wants and direction for the restaurant.

The best Company I have ever worked for hands down!

Waiter (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsI felt like I was part of a family that cared! Genuinely committed to great food, service and their employees.
    Consistantly promote from within.

ConsWhen I first started I couldn't always get the schedule I hope for. That has changed now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great training and leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsD'Amico has the best culinary program in town and I'm always proud to tell people where I work. The staff training is the best in Minneapolis and a lot of managers have been promoted from within or eventually go off and open their own joint. D'Amico has high standards and if someone isn't playing by the rules, they're not afraid to eject them after 3 warnings. In my experience, the staff is generally happy when a poison apple is let go.

ConsThe company continues to grow so you don't know everyone by their first name.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing exactly like you're doing it. It's the best place to work (and eat) in Minneapolis.

Pay is poor, management is worse

Server (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe level of service is very high.

ConsMorale is very low, and management tends to be poor with dealing with people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and maintain a set of policies for dealing with your workers. This needs to start at the top and work its way to the ground level. Remove managers who can't or won't have good people management skills. It is their job, after all.

Shady

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPay is phenomenal for the Twin Cities Area. 17 an hour for a supervisor at a fine dining restaurant (can't find that anywhere else). Depending on the General Manager you get, it'll be either a negative or positive experience. A lot of room to grow and quickly if you sell your soul.

ConsThe hours are rigorous (as with any other restaurant job) however they will double the amount of responsibilities on you without reflecting it in the pay...the pay is great at first but then they fire the assistant general manager and double your workload and give you a two dollar raise...If you're not a general manager the corporate office doesn't hear of you or reach out to you in any kind of way, your general manager is your voice to them (this is when the depending on the general manager thing comes into play) and if you're privileged with the opportunity to do something for the whole company, as I did, you don't get anymore recognition then a "woohoo" e-mail sent to your general manager...

Advice to Senior ManagementMore so Advice to Corporate...remember those days you were at Cucina? Well try not to forget that because your sense of family has been lost with all of the expansions you have done. Also give your employee's more than 2 weeks notice that you're closing a restaurant when you know 5-6 months in advance...or at least have placements for everyone...family my fanny!

In an industry known for its transient nature, DPI is a standout for its exceptionally severe turnover rate.

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThere are some generally warm and talented people that work for DPI. This company can be quick to promote from within, which seems like a pro, but that also means that they are equally quick to discard personnel.

ConsUpper management not open and accessible to lower level employees. They don't want to hear it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your lower level employees, the people in the trenches. They know what's going on. Mid-level management only reveals what it wants you to know.

Awesome place to work!

Waiters Assistant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsLove working with everyone there. Tips are great and so is the food! Management really knows what they are doing, very satisfied working for them. Did I say the food is awesome? Cafe Lurcat has a very unique and cool layout.

ConsSometimes night shifts will run into the wee hours of the morning. Not too horrible, but always moving, not very many dull moments.

Rapid Downhill Slide

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsDespite what one other review said, where I worked it was a "famiglia." Great people, and a supportive and friendly environment. Management was friendly and available and helpful. Work was a pleasure because of the cooperation and camaraderie amongst staff and the strong work ethic of everyone there.

ConsNo loyalty. Good employees with great work ethics were discarded and treated with terrible disrespect. It is not just the food that makes a great restaurant--no matter how good the food is, it is the wait staff that presents it and that sells customers on buying. It is their attitude and competence that makes the experience complete. D'Amico needs to start respecting their waitstaff and trusting them to do their jobs, or they will lose not only the staff, but also the customer base that came to see those servers who made the experience great.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your good workers, and if you want a true "famiglia," start treating loyal employees with some respect, which includes trusting people to do their jobs without breathing down their necks, paying them on time (and paying them their tips), and realizing that a team is a team for a reason, and breaking up a team that performs well together is most often disastrous.

Still a good company, but. . .

In the Kitchen (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsIt is a great place to meet dedicated, quality people in the field. A huge amount of ex-D'Amico employees litter the landscape of Minnesota.

ConsIt's not what it once was. They've gotten big, but still don't understand some of the necessary, professional ways to treat their people. Their senior management seems to be hired/moved around for no reason other than how well they get along with Richard. Quality is not the point - kissing backsides is. There are no effective checks on what Richard thinks - so don't bother disagreeing with him, even if he has no idea what he's doing!

Advice to Senior ManagementKnock off the "Famiglia" nonsense. It's a bunch of hooey.

Worked for D'Amico & Partners? Contribute to the Community!