D'Amico & Partners

Great training and leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at D'Amico & Partners full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

D'Amico has the best culinary program in town and I'm always proud to tell people where I work. The staff training is the best in Minneapolis and a lot of managers have been promoted from within or eventually go off and open their own joint. D'Amico has high standards and if someone isn't playing by the rules, they're not afraid to eject them after 3 warnings. In my experience, the staff is generally happy when a poison apple is let go.

Cons

The company continues to grow so you don't know everyone by their first name.

Keep doing what you're doing exactly like you're doing it. It's the best place to work (and eat) in Minneapolis.

Best job! Best Career!

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked with D'Amico & Partners for many, many years and still love it to this day. I have had the pleasure to see the company grow and become an incredible company with many talented people. The owners of this company, Richard, Larry and Paul are some of the most, knowledgeable, generous and kind individuals. Kindness and generosity that is not boasted about to get the "credit" of doing it. That I admire very much. There is so much opportunity to move up and make a career with this company. As a single parent, I learned early on in my days working with this company that my home life was honored by all three of the owners Richard, Larry and Paul. I have appreciated that so very much. I witness the "D'Amico Famiglia" spirit often.

Cons

I wish that we had better wifi connections for our guests.

Always made to feel like part of the family

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a successful restaurant company with a family feel. They have provided me with an opportunity and I have been able to run with it and advance at a pretty fast pace. The pay is among the best in the area for the position which makes you feel really appreciated. The feeling of a caring atmosphere is passed on from the very top all the way through. This has also been a great company to work for while starting a family. They have shown they really care about their employees lives outside of the restaurant as well.

Cons

We don't see the ownership as much as we would like, but the communication is set up in a way so we know their wants and direction for the restaurant.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best Company I have ever worked for hands down!

Current Employee - Waiter  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Waiter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I felt like I was part of a family that cared! Genuinely committed to great food, service and their employees.
    Consistantly promote from within.

Cons

When I first started I couldn't always get the schedule I hope for. That has changed now.

Keep up the good work!

Pay is poor, management is worse

Current Employee - Server  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Server in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The level of service is very high.

Cons

Morale is very low, and management tends to be poor with dealing with people.

Develop and maintain a set of policies for dealing with your workers. This needs to start at the top and work its way to the ground level. Remove managers who can't or won't have good people management skills. It is their job, after all.

Shady

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is phenomenal for the Twin Cities Area. 17 an hour for a supervisor at a fine dining restaurant (can't find that anywhere else). Depending on the General Manager you get, it'll be either a negative or positive experience. A lot of room to grow and quickly if you sell your soul.

Cons

The hours are rigorous (as with any other restaurant job) however they will double the amount of responsibilities on you without reflecting it in the pay...the pay is great at first but then they fire the assistant general manager and double your workload and give you a two dollar raise...If you're not a general manager the corporate office doesn't hear of you or reach out to you in any kind of way, your general manager is your voice to them (this is when the depending on the general manager thing comes into play) and if you're privileged with the opportunity to do something for the whole company, as I did, you don't get anymore recognition then a "woohoo" e-mail sent to your general manager...

More so Advice to Corporate...remember those days you were at Cucina? Well try not to forget that because your sense of family has been lost with all of the expansions you have done. Also give your employee's more than 2 weeks notice that you're closing a restaurant when you know 5-6 months in advance...or at least have placements for everyone...family my fanny!

In an industry known for its transient nature, DPI is a standout for its exceptionally severe turnover rate.

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at D'Amico & Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some generally warm and talented people that work for DPI. This company can be quick to promote from within, which seems like a pro, but that also means that they are equally quick to discard personnel.

Cons

Upper management not open and accessible to lower level employees. They don't want to hear it.

Listen to your lower level employees, the people in the trenches. They know what's going on. Mid-level management only reveals what it wants you to know.

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Waiters Assistant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Waiters Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners

Pros

Love working with everyone there. Tips are great and so is the food! Management really knows what they are doing, very satisfied working for them. Did I say the food is awesome? Cafe Lurcat has a very unique and cool layout.

Cons

Sometimes night shifts will run into the wee hours of the morning. Not too horrible, but always moving, not very many dull moments.

Rapid Downhill Slide

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at D'Amico & Partners

Pros

Despite what one other review said, where I worked it was a "famiglia." Great people, and a supportive and friendly environment. Management was friendly and available and helpful. Work was a pleasure because of the cooperation and camaraderie amongst staff and the strong work ethic of everyone there.

Cons

No loyalty. Good employees with great work ethics were discarded and treated with terrible disrespect. It is not just the food that makes a great restaurant--no matter how good the food is, it is the wait staff that presents it and that sells customers on buying. It is their attitude and competence that makes the experience complete. D'Amico needs to start respecting their waitstaff and trusting them to do their jobs, or they will lose not only the staff, but also the customer base that came to see those servers who made the experience great.

Keep your good workers, and if you want a true "famiglia," start treating loyal employees with some respect, which includes trusting people to do their jobs without breathing down their necks, paying them on time (and paying them their tips), and realizing that a team is a team for a reason, and breaking up a team that performs well together is most often disastrous.

Still a good company, but. . .

Current Employee - In the Kitchen  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - In the Kitchen in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at D'Amico & Partners

Pros

It is a great place to meet dedicated, quality people in the field. A huge amount of ex-D'Amico employees litter the landscape of Minnesota.

Cons

It's not what it once was. They've gotten big, but still don't understand some of the necessary, professional ways to treat their people. Their senior management seems to be hired/moved around for no reason other than how well they get along with Richard. Quality is not the point - kissing backsides is. There are no effective checks on what Richard thinks - so don't bother disagreeing with him, even if he has no idea what he's doing!

Knock off the "Famiglia" nonsense. It's a bunch of hooey.

Worked for D'Amico & Partners? Contribute to the Community!