D Magazine Partners

Wick Allison

Amazing Internship opportunity

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at D Magazine Partners as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat company to receive a hands-on internship experience. You will learn a lot in a short amount of time. The internship is what you make it.

ConsThe internship unfortunately is unpaid.

Fun but I didn't learn a lot.

I have been working at D Magazine Partners as an intern

ProsCool people, fun activities, fun workplace.

ConsI didn't learn that much. I ended up being an intern for a different department/place that I interviewed and applied for.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a better intern "project" and give the interns more things to do.

intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at D Magazine Partners

Prosgreat place to work. everyone is super friendly, actually get to attend many fun events, office environment is very relaxed, cool office

Conscan't think of any cons with this company

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management was very hands on

Perfect

Intern (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at D Magazine Partners as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people there are amazing.

ConsSome people were a little strict.

Can be a great place to build experience and connections

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at D Magazine Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people at D Magazine Partners really make the place great. You'll love the diversity and personalities and the relaxed working atmosphere. Great holidays; scheduled and open. Definitely a place to learn and express new ideas. Work life balance is good to normal. Benefits are good for the size of the company.

ConsSome positions have a very limited ceiling for advancement. Depending on position, there can be severe competition and demand to perform. No standardized vacation plan. No 401K matching.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnual reviews which tie to personal and professional advancement and/or compensation. A more standardized vacation policy to encourage better work life balance. Improved Community involvement. Improved personal development and professional security plans.

A great work environment but there's very little room for growth

Account Service Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at D Magazine Partners

ProsThe environment is fast-paced, fun and creative. And the people are absolutely wonderful! There are also a lot of perks including tickets to events, entrance to high-profile parties, etc.

ConsThe company is small enough that there's very little room to grow. There's no type of incentive programs like bonuses or salary raises and they don't contribute to 401k's.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's so important for management to make sure that their employees feel appreciated. Expecting excellence and hard work is one thing but expecting employees to work 60-70+ hours a week is unfair and will eventually drive people away.

Great learning experience, dynamic environment,

Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at D Magazine Partners

ProsThe company has great people, and an even greater brand! It was so rewarding being able to provide effective advertising for my clients.

ConsCould be viewed as a sorority- there was a lot of gossip. Constantly decreasing commission for one reason or another...and when the position is 100% commission it's definitely noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease positive reinforcement, praise, and acknowledgment of successes for individuals and the team. Also, eliminate the yearly "slight" decrease in compensation structure.

I have never been more disappointed in an employer in my entire life.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at D Magazine Partners

ProsD Magazine has great brand recognition within the Dallas community. People get excited when they find out that you work for D Magazine. It's opens doors...which is good because you will need doors to be opened to a new job.

ConsFour salespeople make between $200-$400,000 per year. They have been at the magazine for 8+ years and they won't be leaving...ever. They have a monopoly on all of the businesses in Dallas who can afford to advertise in D Magazine. Everyone else takes their scraps for leads and starves. It is almost impossible to get a job here. They interviewed 20 people before they hired me. You have to pass a test called TREGO that is similar to the SAT's. It took me 3 hours to take and only 1 in every 5 people will pass it. You expect there to be a lot potential with with the job because it is so hard to get hired and they start you out at a $35,000 draw earning 10% commission until you meet your draw. Then you can make 20% commission. What they don't tell you is that it is impossible to meet your draw due to the businesses that you are allowed to contact. The top 25 businesses in every category is already taken and no one else is going to be able to afford D Magazine. You will starve!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement already knows how to correct my cons.

It was one of the best job experiences I've had!

I have been working at D Magazine Partners

ProsThe people are extremely friendly and helpful, absolutely great to work with! The work environment is very spacious not stressful at all!

ConsOffice is a little too cold. Seriously, there's nothing bad I can say about working there!

Worked for D Magazine Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at D Magazine Partners reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for D Magazine Partners CEO Wick Allison. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by D Magazine Partners employees.