D.R. Horton
www.drhorton.com Fort Worth, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

D.R. Horton Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014
D.R. Horton – “D. R. Horton work”

D.R. Horton Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Tomnitz

Don Tomnitz

Pros:
  • "Great benefits with the opportunity to learn the art of homebuilding from the ground up"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good benefits and good people although upper management can be a bit volatile"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "No weekends off and very little work/life balance, but that's new homes for you"
    in 4 reviews
  • "High Turnover of Sales Representives"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

They hire their friends.

Sales Counselor (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThey have lots of money for marketing.

ConsThey hire their friends qualified or not for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuick taking over other builders only run their operations into the ground.

Good place to work!

Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGreat benefits. Laid back atmosphere. City Manager is a fun, out going person. Medical & dental are awesome!!

ConsCompensation could be a little better.

D.R. Horton is a good company.

ProsD.R. Horton is a great company.

ConsD.R. Horton is a very good company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nepotism at its Finest!

Loan Officer (Current Employee)
    Corona, CA

ProsSome of the co-workers made this place tolerable. Before the company got cheap, they used to have team building activities.

ConsManagement at all levels hired on a buddy systems as opposed to talent or skills. It's no wonder why they closed down the Irvine mortgage division as the branch manager there and CA area manager were in cahoots. They merged with the Corona division which the former branch manager there ran the place into the ground. For example, there was a former car salesmen there with no experience in mortgages that became Area Sales Manager! I guess it pays to schmooz...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring your Buddies

What was once a great place to work, is now sadly undesirable due to unprofessional mid level managers.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsOrlando's Division president is extremely knowledgeable about the industry, a team player, an excellent manager! Company offers great income potential for driven sales people. Construction team is a great group of guys that are willing to go above and beyond to help sales team.

ConsMiddle management is in need of professional management training, they work on their own agenda, and lack the work ethics that a commission driven sales team needs. Response time to sales staff needs is slow at best. Their lack of skills adds an undue additional work load for the sales team. Unprofessional behavior, they gossip/discuss sales staff issues to other sales team members. You are constantly being threatened with your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen visiting from Texas do so unannounced and visit model centers and construction sites alone if you want to know how your employee's really feel about the division. Upon your visits the sales staff is "coached" on what we were aloud to discuss with you. If you want honest responses do 360 degree confidential surveys with employee's to find out what and how your management team is really performing. All employee responses will have to be kept confidential because if managers know you have said anything negative towards any of them and their immediate boss you will be terminated.

Good working experience for those new to real estate title.

Title Examiner (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGood team atmosphere. Decent pay.

ConsJob security tied to real estate market. More of a starting point for a career than an ending point.

It was a love/hate relationship!

Loan Officer (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe best friends that I have for the past 9 years developed from working relationships made while at D.R. Horton. We all worked our tails off and had a great team. The paychecks were good for years until the market turned.

ConsAs a loan officer, they required us to bring in retail business as well as the builder business. Our underwriters were not comfortable underwriting retail loans and that caused issues. You can't keep convincing realtors to send us their loans when our underwriting would deny them or underwrite more strcitly than other mortgage companies would.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like a mixed message to want the loan officers to focus on builder business AND retail business. Once a loan officer builds up enough retail business they will just leave the builder and take the realtor relationships with them.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

no life, except for work life

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

Proshealth insurance is cheap, I guess it's nice to be healthy while I job shop

Consthey treat people like owned slaves, make everyone work for free-office, construction and sales.

Advice to Senior Managementget real, now that the market is changing all these people who have been over worked and under paid are going to go to the other builders who are going to explode.

Great Company, great benefits

Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGrowth, great people, awesome benefits, job security

ConsLow pay, secretive management, a little overworked, at times growing too quickly

Amazing

ProsA Wonderful place to work.

ConsI had to leave there.

Worked for D.R. Horton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at D.R. Horton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for D.R. Horton CEO Don Tomnitz. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by D.R. Horton employees.