D.R. Horton Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014

2.7

D.R. Horton Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Tomnitz
Don Tomnitz

Pros
  • Good pay, and pretty fair bonus program (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits with the opportunity to learn the art of homebuilding from the ground up (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult (in 4 reviews)

• No weekends off and very little work/life balance, but that's new homes for you (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that allows personnel to expand their horizons.

I have been working at D.R. Horton

Pros

Great benefits and exceptional leadership within the company. Management wants to see their employees grow and evolve. Proactive in allowing the employees to make decisions.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a struggle since most people are on call.

Continue to striving to be the best,but ensuring personnel have opportunities to evolve.

Not a great experience!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer benefits, but the healthcare coverage is more of a wellness plan. The other Realtors in my area were a great asset.

Cons

Very difficult to take a vacation day. No clear direction as a new employee as to how everything works. Had to figure things out by trial and error or ask one of the Realtors in my area. Asking the area manager how to do something was a joke! IF you got a response it was usually very vague without really answering the question. You're told what the monthly goal is when hired but then it would change based on other criteria. No job security and very poor management in our area. It's mandatory to work weekends and family is at the bottom of the list for this company. They should come first in your life and even on your off days. There was a time when just a few hours before an off day we were notified we had to work our off days. Poor communication and poor leadership which leads to very low morale and high turn over.

Great money if you work hard and manage your own business

Former Employee - Sales Counselor  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Horton is a great company to make a load of money. They put a ton of inventory homes on the ground so you have homes to show prospects and homes to close quickly. There is little micromanagement. Laid back friendly work environment. Great homes, floor plans and features. Fast growing builder that is always buying new land. Not a ton of secret shops or checks and balances, they trust their employess to perform.

Cons

Not a ton of support from management. Unorganized corporate office with no real procedures in place. Limited options when it comes to making changes to homes to please prospective buyers. Long hours. Poor training program for Jr. Sales agents. Stressful due to the amount of responsibilities put on the sales people. You have to be extremely organized and manage your own business and solve your own problems, because you are on your own! You must do all this while keeping your buyers happy because if they complain, management will not have your back. No matter what, its the sales teams fault.

Give some positive feedback to your sales team they deserve it. Acknowledge their loyalty and hard work. Set attainable sales goals. Have sales meetings that boost moral rather than meetings that bash your sales team before you send them out into the field to get yelled at by buyers and everyone else everyday. Be more approachable and supportive and you may be surprised what you get in return. These people give up their lives, weekends, and time with their famiiles to work for this company; how about a little appreciation?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Blessed to work for a DR Horton affiliate!

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and senior management team.

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult.

DR Horton hears a who

Former Employee - Server Engineer  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Server Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

This job will teach you a great deal about how you handle stress.

Cons

Flat management structure ---- this is a toxic workplace. There are long time employees who have a great deal of pull because they are so "indispensable"... They will tell you everything you want to hear, even tell you that you're doing a good job... Then without warning they will let you go and leave you out on the street without a single word of constructive criticism... There is a great deal of discrimination that goes on as well, for sexual preference and color... I heard comments about those things almost daily... Also, make sure you have no expectation of privacy (or trust for that matter).

Learn how to trust your employees... There are a few people creating all the mistrust... Stop talking about people behind their back and patting yourselves on the back for letting them go. Confront the problems head-on... Most people handle criticism well and actually tend to improve from it.

Poor management

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Central City, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Central City, AL

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time

Pros

Great if you can work with no pay for 6 months!

Cons

Sales manager sorry and passes the blame for her lack of management skills to sales team by placing blame on sales people for lack of anything. Instead of working with the sales team, the manager would fire agents to make it seem as if that agent was the problem with the entire area or division. I think that there is to much partying with the division president and a manager/mangers or staff. Tom Hill needs to send the division president back to Texas for training. The area sales managers need to be replaced with people that have managment skills.

I think the company would be better if the division president was trained to know that his area sales managers are full of hot air! Hire better area sales managers

Busy, busy, busy!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a friendly office environment with little drama.

Cons

The division I worked for was not staffed appropriately and the majority of feedback I heard (which I agree with) from other employees was that they were burnt out. In order to complete assigned tasks, people worked a lot of overtime and were unable to have a good work/life balance. It is the perfect company if you are a workaholic.

Make sure that the work is evenly distributed (throughout all positions, not just evenly distributed among people in the same position), that it isn't bottle-necking, and that assistance is available to those who are overloaded. If staffing in one area increases and the tasks from that area feed to another area, the second area's staffing should increase as well.

Long term employment with the hills and valleys that follow

Current Employee - Division President
    Current Employee - Division President

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good career training.
    Excellent salaries and benefits.
    Reasonable professional expectations.
    Number one ranked builder for over a decade.

Cons

Petty politics in senior management.
    Very weak human resource department.
    Inconsistent corporate direction and mission statement.

Run Fast from this Company

Former Employee - On-Site Sales Representative  in  Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - On-Site Sales Representative in Savannah, GA

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than a year

Pros

They make you feel like a superstar in the interview process

Cons

They you begin in your sales center. Horrible management who would put you down for not selling in an overpriced community with no inventory. They fire and blame the sales associates so fast to make their unprofessionalism look good to upper management. Read and believe all the bad reviews.

dont' hire friends and not support your employees

Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager  in  Daphne, AL
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Daphne, AL

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful well organized company. Lots of good people. Good salary.

Cons

My supervisor, unfortunately, was unfair to women and very childish.

Need more reviews from corporate with all personnel.

Worked for D.R. Horton? Contribute to the Community!