D.R. Horton

Updated November 9, 2014
2.6

D.R. Horton Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Tomnitz
Don Tomnitz

Pros
  • Great benefits and exceptional leadership within the company (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, and pretty fair bonus program (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a struggle since most people are on call (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management just doesnt care what is said or done (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Specialist Stress Level

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Birmingham, AL

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pro's would be the insurance. If you were given time off to go to the doctor. A benefit is not a benefit unless you can use that benefit.

Cons

The unnessary level of stress that is put on the Sales Specialist for no other reason than. The Sales Managers ego's that need to be turned down and a major attitude adjustment given.

Take your Birmingham Sales Manager back to Fort Worth for training.

Frustrating and hard to get heard

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Middle management was open and supportive, benefits are good. In the right community, you can make some money and progress.

Cons

Upper management is more interested in covering their butts than making any real headway. If you're stuck in a non-performing community you'll die there. Not all rewards are equal-favoritism rules.

Make the playing field even-reward loyalty and recognize efforts.

Very disappointing

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Largest homebuilder in US, all sales counselors were very friendly, good floor plans to offer homebuyers, usually good locations

Cons

very "black and white and to the book" as far as performance and procedures.....did not take a
    look at underlying circumstances leading to an obvious conclusion....lot of "family" etc. to contend
    with

Never really heard from Don Tomnitz except for very limited and generic emails....no complaints
    here.

Educational and Fast Paced

Former Employee - Production Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Great career advancement opportunities. Working with customers and homeowners very rewarding. You need to be tough skinned and energetic to be a success.

Cons

Many hours of work and difficulties to deal with. Overall the focus is on the bottomline production numbers and not so much the satisfaction.

The best course of employee development is empowerment and positive feedback. The age of the ancient construction worker is fading out and technology is becoming more key.

Pretty much the ideal place to work.

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at D.R. Horton

Pros

They are family oriented. You work with fantastic people. They have a work hard, have fun attitude. They're flexible with your schedule if you need time off.

Cons

Some of the HR policies seem a little antiquated. The benefits aren't the best either, but you pretty much take what you can get.

Keep doing what you're doing. You've been able to lead D.R. Horton through the worst part of the recession, and are a stronger company for it. Maybe consider updating some of the HR policies regarding new hires and paid time off and benefits.

Giving the current condition of the economy working for D.R. Horton is very stagnant

Current Employee - Superintendent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at D.R. Horton

Pros

1. Good pay. 2. you are your own boss for the most part. 3. Lots of vacation days to take after 5 years.

Cons

As the company navigates it's way through this down economy after laying off about 80% of the work force "we are asked to do the job of 5 plus employees without receiving any extra compensation. We have lost bonus money and no raises have been giving out for 4 years. Also as field construction employee you are left out of most company functions. The past for years has been very stagnant place to work with no light at the end of the tunnel as far as advancement or salary increases. All in all you get the feeling that the company could care less.

Take care of the employees that you have choosen to keep because they are great at what they do. offer the same opportunities to all employees. let your employees know how valuble they are especially when you cannot give out raises.

Fast pace, very polictical

Current Employee - Vice President Sales and Marketing in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales and Marketing in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at D.R. Horton

Pros

Money and advancement brutally fast pace and hires exceptional employees that have tremendous skills in all facets of the building industry

Cons

Burn through employees, unless politically connected

Think customer service internally and externally

A great place for anyone looking for an internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

While on my internship I was mentored by several different people in several positions. They did a great job at teaching me what they knew, helping me develop a professional character, and gave me freedom with certain assignments allowing me to say that a certain project was my very own.

Cons

The pay was definitely not what I could consider competitive but the experience that I had definitely made up for it.

I felt like my experience at D.R. Horton was a great one. I understand the compensation for my efforts was the best the company could do, but maybe when the market begins to turn, I'd offer a bit more to your interns to become more competitive. This would also make your company a more attractive one to graduates and that will only help your company in the long run.

D R Horton - great if you are a member of the good ol' boys club.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Great benefits and a flexible schedule. Great stock option plan. 401k matching is generous. Great place to work if you are single with no kids or have older kids.

Cons

Work/life balance could use improvement. If you get sick or your kids get sick, well, depending on your manager/department......and you use all of or a lot of your sick tme as a result, they may try to use it as a mark against you.

Promote a better work/life balance. Stop letting employees who brown nose and suck up advance while others stay in the same position.

get ready to work your ass off

Former Employee - Senior Construction Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Construction Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Great benefits with the opportunity to learn the art of homebuilding from the ground up. great opportunity to create relationships with vendors and skilled trades. Very little micromanagement from the management.

Cons

ever changing bonus structure. your bonus are tied into customer surveys and build time. it's the good ole boy buddy system in order to get promotions. your base salary is relatively low for the amount of hours that have to be worked. 60 plus hours per week. if you don't work at least those kind of hours you won't make your full bonus.

stop changing the bonus structure, and get competent people into management. not the good ole boy system.

D.R. Horton Photos