D.R. Horton Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
2.7

D.R. Horton Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Tomnitz
Don Tomnitz

Pros
  • Good pay, and pretty fair bonus program (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits with the opportunity to learn the art of homebuilding from the ground up (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult (in 4 reviews)

• No weekends off and very little work/life balance, but that's new homes for you (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty much the ideal place to work.

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at D.R. Horton

Pros

They are family oriented. You work with fantastic people. They have a work hard, have fun attitude. They're flexible with your schedule if you need time off.

Cons

Some of the HR policies seem a little antiquated. The benefits aren't the best either, but you pretty much take what you can get.

Keep doing what you're doing. You've been able to lead D.R. Horton through the worst part of the recession, and are a stronger company for it. Maybe consider updating some of the HR policies regarding new hires and paid time off and benefits.

Giving the current condition of the economy working for D.R. Horton is very stagnant

Current Employee - Superintendent  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at D.R. Horton

Pros

1. Good pay. 2. you are your own boss for the most part. 3. Lots of vacation days to take after 5 years.

Cons

As the company navigates it's way through this down economy after laying off about 80% of the work force "we are asked to do the job of 5 plus employees without receiving any extra compensation. We have lost bonus money and no raises have been giving out for 4 years. Also as field construction employee you are left out of most company functions. The past for years has been very stagnant place to work with no light at the end of the tunnel as far as advancement or salary increases. All in all you get the feeling that the company could care less.

Take care of the employees that you have choosen to keep because they are great at what they do. offer the same opportunities to all employees. let your employees know how valuble they are especially when you cannot give out raises.

Fast pace, very polictical

Current Employee - Vice President Sales and Marketing  in  Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales and Marketing in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at D.R. Horton

Pros

Money and advancement brutally fast pace and hires exceptional employees that have tremendous skills in all facets of the building industry

Cons

Burn through employees, unless politically connected

Think customer service internally and externally

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place for anyone looking for an internship experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

While on my internship I was mentored by several different people in several positions. They did a great job at teaching me what they knew, helping me develop a professional character, and gave me freedom with certain assignments allowing me to say that a certain project was my very own.

Cons

The pay was definitely not what I could consider competitive but the experience that I had definitely made up for it.

I felt like my experience at D.R. Horton was a great one. I understand the compensation for my efforts was the best the company could do, but maybe when the market begins to turn, I'd offer a bit more to your interns to become more competitive. This would also make your company a more attractive one to graduates and that will only help your company in the long run.

D R Horton - great if you are a member of the good ol' boys club.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Great benefits and a flexible schedule. Great stock option plan. 401k matching is generous. Great place to work if you are single with no kids or have older kids.

Cons

Work/life balance could use improvement. If you get sick or your kids get sick, well, depending on your manager/department......and you use all of or a lot of your sick tme as a result, they may try to use it as a mark against you.

Promote a better work/life balance. Stop letting employees who brown nose and suck up advance while others stay in the same position.

get ready to work your ass off

Former Employee - Senior Construction Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Construction Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Great benefits with the opportunity to learn the art of homebuilding from the ground up. great opportunity to create relationships with vendors and skilled trades. Very little micromanagement from the management.

Cons

ever changing bonus structure. your bonus are tied into customer surveys and build time. it's the good ole boy buddy system in order to get promotions. your base salary is relatively low for the amount of hours that have to be worked. 60 plus hours per week. if you don't work at least those kind of hours you won't make your full bonus.

stop changing the bonus structure, and get competent people into management. not the good ole boy system.

Working at D.R. Horton

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at D.R. Horton

Pros

Great administrative staff
    Opportunity to sell America's #1 Builder homes
    Pay can be split with salary and commission paid tier
    When it comes to selling all management is there for support and there until you go home

Cons

No weekends off
    No paid holidays or vacation
    No training
    Work until the 11th hour on all holidays
    No managment decision consistecy
    High Turnover of Sales Representives

Make consistent decisions
    Communication is key to good leadership and rapport with sales representative
    Everybody knows when you favor one over another so please beware

DR Horton New Home Sales

Former Employee - Sales  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Good product that is easy to sell

Cons

Lower than industry average commissions

Value sales staff more

Big Company with Big Company Attitude Toward Employees

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Horton sells homes in all major areas in the surrounding areas of Houston. Good floorplans and homes are well built.

Cons

Horton is known for major shakeups every few years. Division President and Vice President as well as several heads of departments were let go as well as changing commission structure and days off allowed (down to one a week).

Treat employees with more respect - not just lip service from Corporate Manager. Find ways to improve morale, not ridicule people.

Pays good but top heavy

I worked at D.R. Horton

Pros

Good pay. Bonuses are good when economy is good.

Cons

Who you are sleeping with can help save your job. Typical corporate America. The fat should be trimmed at the top but it starts at the bottom during hard times.

Retain employees that work hard and deserve a job.

Worked for D.R. Horton? Contribute to the Community!