D&B Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.1

D&B President & CEO Robert Carrigan
Robert Carrigan

Pros
  • Smart and collaborative people trying to do the right thing, decent work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• D&B had one of best work life balances which I have experienced in my career :) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Because D&B is a huge company, implementing ideas or change can be difficult (in 25 reviews)

• Senior management too focused on reaching their numbers (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place towork

I have been working at D&B full-time

Pros

Good place to work and good people

Cons

Bad hours and travel frequently

none

Best place I have worked so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We have a new and growing management. The company is small in the big picture, but with growing technology and a fresh, new strategy, D&B is definitely going places. Excellent salaries, good benefits, and reward for work well-done. The new CEO Bob Carrigan is really determined to make this one of the best places to work, and I can clearly see the changes taking effect. Everything from simple aesthetic changes to where our vision, strategy, and product lines are progressing, this company is really beginning to move with the times, modernize, grow, globalize, and become everything one would want in a company. It is definitely an exciting time to be here!

Cons

More work-life balance would be nice. More work-from-home opportunity would be helpful.

You are doing a wonderful job staying connected to your employees, keeping us informed of everything you are doing, and taking advice from each and every one of us. Keep it up, and I hope to see more wonderful things to come!

This is the place for you if you like process over product and a 'CYA' culture...

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, NJ

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- a great legacy in b2b risk management; over 170-year history
    - recognizable brand worldwide
    - most likely still the best, most complete data set for both risk and marketing applications
    - brilliant people in Analytics dept (Paul Ballew and team are very bright and well-respected)

Cons

- unbelievably difficult to do the most simple tasks internally; ask a D&B rep for counts of businesses in a specific geo or industry...unless he/she has his/her own license to Hoovers, it will take a few days for the count request to be fulfilled by outsourced, offshore partner
    - don't ask for the back-office team to help unless you have internal forms signed and ready (who are we afraid of?)
    - keep trying to justify the same service for more money; clients sometimes feel like they are trapped and often push back

Innovate and be flexible (NEED TO ADDRESS INTERNAL PROCESSES!); Clients - especially larger firms - are not impressed by the off-the-shelf products and are looking for ways to build D&B information into existing processes (To be fair, this is one of Bob Carrigan's points of emphasis, "...delivery content where and when they need it..."); bring people together to work on projects rather than to pat each others ego, i.e., great subject matter expertise, experience, and ideas that often take a back seat to academic discussions or presentations...to much talk and not enough roll-up-your-sleeves.

It was a good company Friendly People

I have been working at D&B

Pros

Good Work and family balance you can work from home one day a week. People are all friendly.

Cons

My department had no training program.

Need to communicate more clearly and need more training.

Change for better times?

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* good base salary
    * opportunity to earn extra money
    * good leasecar allowance
    * working with topsegment customers
    * freedom of doing your work where and whenever you want

Cons

* customer is clearly not focus #1, rather internal political games & people profiling
    * freedom of work comes with a price: you need to manager work/live balance otherwise you'll work 20hrs a day or more
    * In Europe very country focused instead of cross regional, although it might change

So, the news CEO has chosen to change the way D&B acts in the market. Good to have finally a vision. However a US way of doing business might not work out as it should for Europe.

The change needs strong senior management execution. Clearly this is not the case in Europe, yet.

Put the customer first, unconditionally.
    Otherwise the customer puts D&B on second place...

Innovating Innovation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open Schedule, Family Friendly, Good People

Cons

lack of direction, lots of inflated strategy from C suite

Despite over achieving results you may find yourself miserable.

I worked at D&B

Pros

The pay is pretty good.

Cons

Management is toxic. Micro management to the nth degree.

Let your folks work towards their goals not yours. Additionally, it's hard to do your job when you're spending most of your time doing busy work completing internal reports and redundant training programs to satisfy your boss rather than working hard for your revenue generating clients.

Consulted in Parsippany for 4 months

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at D&B as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, Good food, quieter atmosphere

Cons

Continued funding is a big problem for consultants.

unstable leadership

Current Employee - Manager in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very strong commitment to helping employees with life's problems.

Cons

Senior Managers are all new to the company and still do not understand our value propositions. Usually lays people off to cut costs when they don't make the revenue targets. Re-brands every few years instead of focusing on providing value to customers. Poor leadership in technology. Technology chases buzzwords rather than business solutions.

Simplify our relationships with customers. There are too many options and pricing points when trying to establish a contract. Also, if you want to have independent developers code against the D&B services platform you need to roll out a comprehensive test database so that they do not need to sign contracts with us to see the data.

Contractor Experience

Former Employee - QA in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA in Austin, TX

I worked at D&B as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Money good. Many good people, always willing to help.

Cons

One person doing the work of three. Unrealistic expectations.

Need to be more knowledgeable in what is involved in producing a product. Managers need training in how to speak and treat employees. Management needs to realize that the quality of the product will determine its success.

D&B Photos