D&B

Updated January 21, 2015
3.1

D&B President & CEO Robert Carrigan
Robert Carrigan

Pros
  • The culture is positive and the company values employees work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• D&B had one of best work life balances which I have experienced in my career :) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Because D&B is a huge company, implementing ideas or change can be difficult (in 26 reviews)

• Senior management too focused on reaching their numbers (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Product Management
    Current Employee - Product Management

I have been working at D&B full-time

Pros

Collegial, good life balance, nice people to work with, reasonable compensation

Cons

Tough place to work if you want action.

After decades of being run to push down costs, there are areas where millions of dollars are at risk, and a fix would be a tiny percentage of the revenues at risk. Management really needs to make these unglamorous but essential investments. As an employee, my greatest concern is not about compensation, or benefits, or a friendly atmosphere, but about concern that the company is investing adequately to ensure D&B will remain a going concern for more than the next few years. It's way too tough to get modest budget requests for things that will shore up businesses that serve key clients and make millions for the firm. That said, I think broadly Management is a good bunch - maybe with too much on your plate?
    Maybe it might make sense to have someone specific in senior management whose job is to look at the many unsexy but key businesses, and figure out how to shore them up from a decade of relentless resource cutting.

Excellent Place to work

Former Employee - Leader, Tech Ops in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Leader, Tech Ops in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at D&B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, definitely rewarded the employees for working hard. The company cared about a work-life balance and understood the need to work remotely.

Cons

When I was there the technology was outdated. They outsource much of IT and a fair amount of the knowledge. It took a while to get institutional knowledge.

Find a better balance between insourcing and outsourcing technical functions. For the sole purpose of driving better business outcomes.

Senior Sales Executive with 27 years experieince

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Brand, Great Value, great company

Cons

Glass ceiling, opportunities minimal at certain levels

Uptight company to work for

Former Employee - Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at D&B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent opportunity for growth/career advancement

Cons

Very political to navigate and management is constantly changing.

Focus & execution challenged

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at D&B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Worklife balance exists in most parts of the org. CEO is very personable and approachable. Company is in good financial status. Getting more modern with policies (e.g. dress code).

Cons

Product innovation is talked about, but lacking in execution. Don't expect funding/resources to help achieve your objectives. Seems like there are so many groups that want to do their own thing which really translates to a lack of focus across the company (the CEO is trying to correct this). Despite a new HR Leader, HR/Recruiting is embarrassing and could use a severe overhaul. My experience as a prospect/new hire was poor. I also recommended a friend for a job...her experience during the interview process was less than desirable. Office locations are spread out - probably too much for a company of this size & many employees work remote. Beware if you like to have actual human interaction.

Take a good hard look at the recruiting/new hire process and find ways to improve it.

D&B - Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Divisional Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Divisional Operations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at D&B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, training, and fast-paced promotions.

Cons

Pay was average - could be higher.

Increase salaries for employees who are promoted often and are willing to relocate for the company.

Continues to not pay attention to long term vision

I worked at D&B as a contractor

Pros

Company added new leadership a year ago, that seemed positive

Cons

Despite new visions and new leadership. The company continues to make short sighted decisions (e.g. layoffs, cutting project work) before any actual progress can be made.

Company needs to seriously commit to a strategy (not just in words, but actions). Stop making short sighted decisions at the end of each quarter.

Couldn't leave fast enough

Former Employee - Human Resources in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at D&B full-time

Pros

I had a decent commute. Cafeteria was well-priced. Good location, near Mall at Short Hills. Bathrooms were always clean.

Cons

Job wasn't as described at interview. I quickly discovered that managers will steal employees' ideas and present it to senior leaders as their own - happened to me a few times. HR thinks they're truly global strategists because salaries are on par with larger companies. Long-tenured mgrs isn't a positive thing here, b/c they have no new ideas and its like inbreeding. Glad I'm outta there!

Clean house of long-tenured employees, especially in HR. Develop long-term growth plans for each department before spontaneously going on hiring sprees, only to fire months later.

Not all that's cracked up to be

Former Employee - Project Manager in New Providence, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New Providence, NJ

I worked at D&B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

D&B has many divisions, it is possible to move from one to another. Co. has a good dreputation. Most people look favorably to your having worked there.

Cons

Management weaknesses. Top level executives, and even middle managers spend more time and effort pursuing their own agendas than the company agenda. There is a lot of political infighting. Your future depends on the future of your management team to a large extent.

Upper management needs to set the example. So far, what one gets from upper management is "I have my golden parachute, do you?" The company could use salary and other incentives for non-management salaried employees, who carry the burden of "performance" but do not share the profits like upper management does.

Business Analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at D&B

Pros

-Flexible Schedule
    -Lots of paid time off

Cons

-pay isn't competitive
    -every aspect of work moves slowly and everyone seems just fine with that, except for the customers.
    -High attrition rates

Take a risk on doing something special for your customer base or risk toppling a company that's been around for centuries.