D&H Distributing Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

Izzy Schwab

great place to work!!!!!!

Former Employee - Picker  in  Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Picker in Newnan, GA

I worked at D&H Distributing part-time for more than a year

Pros

The compensation is not bad, you get paid every week. They start you off at $10.50

Cons

I can not think of any.

Good company for the right person.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun people. Prizes, company-wide lunches and breakfasts. Family owned. ESOP.

Cons

pay is low. No real career growth opportunities. Positions are filled without being posted. Outdated software systems. Not very professional environment. Lots of swearing. Some of the people working there look like they just got out of prison or rehab, but since all the sales work is phone and email, appearance isn't important. Very sedentary job. In chair, doing emails and talking on phone all day.

Mentor employs for possible career growth. Do a process analysis and invest in software that will improve efficiency. Company relies too much on email and people and not enough on processes and software. No documented procedures. It sometimes feels the sales dept is looked down upon by other departments and the reps are not trusted.

Experiences vary depending on what department you work in, but the politics are unreal.

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time

Pros

There are a lot of give-aways, raffles, lunches, snacks, etc. which are nice. Management has put some effort into upgrading the building over the past year (installing ceilings, replacing stained ceilings, painting walls), which was desperately needed. The company has a lot going for it and is stable.

Cons

Some areas of the company are not female-friendly (unless you are low-level), this includes some areas run by women. Hiring good resources is challenging, the pay rates are lower than market in most cases. Definitely behind the curve on adopting best practices. Senior management does not want input.

The job market has picked up a bit since 2010, people aren't quite as desperate as they were, so you aren't going to get quality people at the prices you are willing to pay. Highly recommend sexual discrimination training with all levels of management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible with flexibility and requests off.

Former Employee - Picker  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Picker in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at D&H Distributing part-time for less than a year

Pros

The decent starting pay, and that's about it. Nothing about this company should be favored at all. The "family" management is terrible and that's what makes the company terrible.

Cons

Requests off are more than half of the reason I disliked working here so much. I requested off for my grandma's wake and funeral, both of which were back to back, and also the only dates I had requested off within the four months I was working there. Both of the request off sheets were returned back to me denied. When I went in to talk to them as to why they got denied, they told me that the dates I requested off for were "blackout" dates and no one would be allowed to take off that day for any reason, even for a funeral. So I quit, with that being said. I wasn't just going to miss my grandma's funeral/wake because they decided they didn't want anyone taking off for some reason. Along with the horrid management, this company tends to make it seem as if everything that goes wrong in the warehouse is the employees fault, even if it wasn't. They take no responsibility for their wrong doings or faults.

Start listening to the employees questions and concerns instead of just assuming everything is perfectly okay.

Do Not Relocate For A Professional Position With This Company

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Seemed like nice people, family atmosphere. On-site parking and good benefits. They'll even pay a gym membership up to $150.00.

Cons

Relocated from out-of-state after being told they are looking for a long-term employee. I was initially contacted by a recruiter and after an in-depth interview process (3 telephone interviews and one SKYPE interview, and an in-person interview) I gave notice to my previous employer. Within 10 days of starting the job, there was an IT reorg and within 45 days, both myself and another employee who had been there about 4-1/2 months were let go. I had stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks and had I known how short the duration of this job would be, I would never have signed a 1 year lease...so I am now on the hook for the balance of the lease and stuck paying utilities and rent when I do not have a job in Harrisburg...still maintaining my home (mortgage, etc.) in another state. The company does not pay relocation costs but I was led to believe this was going to be a great opportunity...it was.. until the manager who hired me ended up with another position and I had a different manager as a result of the reorg. I accepted the position in good faith and had absolutely no idea they would do this to me. I wasn't even allowed to clean out my desk....they just gave me a couple of my things and showed me the door. I was not given any significant reason...I think they just decided to change course at my expense. I had thought I did my due diligence about this company...I did not have a written contract but there were lots of positive emails....there was an oral contract and a handshake. I have been put in a very bad position by this company. There were no signs of any issues...needless to say I have been left holding the bag...unless I seek legal recourse. Emotionally, physically and financially, I am a wreck right now. and I am writing this review to prevent someone else from going through this.

Before you make a job offer to someone out of state and have them relocate to the area, think more carefully about what your employment needs are. If you want to attract well-educated, highly qualified and trustworthy employees, you can't treat people like you treated me. If you plan on reorganizing, don't hire new employees until you get your act together. Above all, have some compassion. Don't think that you can burn someone the way I was burned and get away with it. Although Pennsylvania like most states is an at-will employment state, and you can fire someone without reason....there is case law out there to protect employees who have been given the shaft and have relied on information provided by your management and HR.

Great for right out of college that's it

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free Stuff. You can win free things all the time trips TV's tablets... but this stuff does not pay the bills. There is no way to get fired unless you suck as a person. The buzzer would go off and you can walk around like you are doing something and no one will know. You can cuss out loud like a sailor make racial and sexual jokes... no one says a word.

Cons

The training to begin is a joke. The majority of the train is just you joking around. There is no plan for you to move up. As a CSR you get trained then put on the floor. You sit in for people which sucks for a couple of reasons. You get paid crap and when you sit you don't get the sales the other person you sit in for does. You are pretty much working for their bills not yours. Also when you sit in you have no idea what's going on so you could run into a huge fire. Its then your job to put it out or you will be cussed out by the customer your boss and the person you sat in for. You may sit in for 3months to a year before they finally give you your own territory. When a joke opens up you won't know about it. Someone will just get the position without anyone else even knowing about it. Like I said no room to move up. The place is one of the dirtiest places I have ever worked. You cant go to the bathroom. One day I had to go to the bathroom and there was poo all of the seat and the handle where you had to flush! People do not wash their hands. These same people you have to sit at their desk to help them while they are out. The company even know they don't wash their hands... there is a list. The place is like a high school with rumors. There was an attractive girl and she was hit on by married men when she finally quit the management just laughed about it. Nothing was done about it. There is a new girl and she told me she feels like a walking bet in the company.

Review the people you hire better!!!! Have a plan of attack for moving up. Let people know when jobs open up.

Family Owned Company

Current Employee - Advertising  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Advertising in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at D&H Distributing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay. Very understanding of family issues. Open to ideas and often ask for suggestions from everyone in the company. ESOP, so your retirement is paid for. Many company activities to join in, good for you and your entire family.

Cons

The same as every single job - sometimes can be very stressful, sometimes you'll work with people you don't like. But on a massive scale? None.

Keep doing exactly what you're already doing - treating your employees like human beings, not drones.

disappointing

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at D&H Distributing

Pros

great benefits for the entire company

Cons

Pay is bad. Not too much leeway for family issues.

sales courses for sales reps

Excellent, Family Owned Company

Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at D&H Distributing

Pros

Friendly work environment
    The majority of people there are computer nerds and very funny with a great attitude
    Quarterly trips to NYC, Ocean City, MD, a 55" LED tv that can be won
    A place where it was ok to be yourself and be quirky
    ESOP company, saving for your retirement when you are 23!

Cons

Slow moving, it takes time to get promoted
    Everyone is busy there, it takes time to complete a deal
    lunch breaks are too short

Keep up the good work

If you're right for this industry, and work hard, you'll have a very long career ahead of you at D&H.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at D&H Distributing

Pros

Vendor-sponsored family events, giveaways, trips, prizes, & meals.
    Rewards for healthy lifestyles.
    Commission & bonuses paid on your work efforts

Cons

Slow improvements on dated building/equipment.
    Need more women in supervisory positions.
    More help for new vendors.

Cursing, sarcastic, or demeaning conversations are not appropriate with employees. Be professional. More training about general product, not vendors products.

Worked for D&H Distributing? Contribute to the Community!