D&H Distributing

Izzy Schwab

Good entry level job

Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at D&H Distributing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Trainings, opportunity to win things, give aways and nice co workers!

Cons

Low pay rates, no opportunity for advancement. Benefits aren't good.

Great place to work and have a good time doing it.

Current Employee - Senior VMware Administrator in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Senior VMware Administrator in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at D&H Distributing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very employee centric environment. They care about you, your opinion and your family health. They have a great ESOP program and encourage everyone to do their part to make it better. Fast paced but not overwhelming environment. Tons of opportunity to show what you are made of and make a difference. The owners are very much involved with everyone and even take the time to talk and listen to you. Great IT management team who listens and pushes everyone to work and play hard. They don't let the 20/80 rule fly, in other words they make sure that 80% of the people are doing 80% of the work not only 20% of the people doing 80% of the work like most places. They encourage you to "do the right thing" not the popular thing. The focus is on a one fight one team not everyone for themselves.

Cons

They are growing fast so change is everywhere. Not always a con but at times projects will just drop and focus is changed over night. More training would be great.

More push for training but other than that IT Management is on the right path to really make a difference for the company and it's employees.

Easy work, terrible management

Former Employee - Everything in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Everything in Newnan, GA

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is ok for younger people, but it is definitely less than other warehouses. Easy work. If you can do basic math, and lift items, you will be fine. There are a couple of different shifts you can work for. Nice people. Can pull extra hours during peak season. Employee discounts are pretty awesome. Sometimes give out prizes, not as much as they used to though.

Cons

Terrible management. HR supervisor is lazy, I don't even know the guys name, he rarely shows up. Majority of supervisors are rather good, but a few should not have a position like that. One will actually sit around for hours talking to women workers, and play favorites to them. Some leads, including the branch manager, have been known to lie and punish employees for things they haven't done. If you work third shift, you will never be recognized for your work.

Rebuild. Let employees know ahead of time what hours they are working. We shouldn't have to find a supervisor to know when to leave, or if your keeping us late. Be strict on employees who are not working. top the favoritism. Stop lying.

great place to work!!!!!!

Former Employee - Picker in Newnan, GA

I worked at D&H Distributing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation is not bad, you get paid every week. They start you off at $10.50

Cons

I can not think of any.

newnan ga is a big joke what with the hr manager and the dc manager being what they are in regards to employees

Former Employee - Picker in Newnan, GA

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with some of the people that you get to be friends with and its ok with the gifts that you can win

Cons

putting up with some (but not all ) incompetents of some of the supervisors. if you are not on their some side they will make it hard for you and get you fired. even managers that is over them will not listen about a problem with a few of the supervisors, these supervisors can do no wrong.

the hours could be better. the very top managers and owners needs to look at some managers and supervisors with regards to the newnan distribution center. more communication with the regular employees and supervisors and managers that does a good job for them could help. you lose a lot of good employees and keep some sorry ones that just stands around and do nothing while good work to make up for the ones that don't or they just get fired.

Good company for the right person.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people. Prizes, company-wide lunches and breakfasts. Family owned. ESOP.

Cons

pay is low. No real career growth opportunities. Positions are filled without being posted. Outdated software systems. Not very professional environment. Lots of swearing. Some of the people working there look like they just got out of prison or rehab, but since all the sales work is phone and email, appearance isn't important. Very sedentary job. In chair, doing emails and talking on phone all day.

Mentor employs for possible career growth. Do a process analysis and invest in software that will improve efficiency. Company relies too much on email and people and not enough on processes and software. No documented procedures. It sometimes feels the sales dept is looked down upon by other departments and the reps are not trusted.

Very confusing

Former Employee - Management in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Management in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn how not to manage a business

Cons

Family owned and micro managed

Currently not friendly to female management or racial and or orientatation

Experiences vary depending on what department you work in, but the politics are unreal.

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time

Pros

There are a lot of give-aways, raffles, lunches, snacks, etc. which are nice. Management has put some effort into upgrading the building over the past year (installing ceilings, replacing stained ceilings, painting walls), which was desperately needed. The company has a lot going for it and is stable.

Cons

Some areas of the company are not female-friendly (unless you are low-level), this includes some areas run by women. Hiring good resources is challenging, the pay rates are lower than market in most cases. Definitely behind the curve on adopting best practices. Senior management does not want input.

The job market has picked up a bit since 2010, people aren't quite as desperate as they were, so you aren't going to get quality people at the prices you are willing to pay. Highly recommend sexual discrimination training with all levels of management.

Horrible with flexibility and requests off.

Former Employee - Picker in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Picker in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at D&H Distributing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The decent starting pay, and that's about it. Nothing about this company should be favored at all. The "family" management is terrible and that's what makes the company terrible.

Cons

Requests off are more than half of the reason I disliked working here so much. I requested off for my grandma's wake and funeral, both of which were back to back, and also the only dates I had requested off within the four months I was working there. Both of the request off sheets were returned back to me denied. When I went in to talk to them as to why they got denied, they told me that the dates I requested off for were "blackout" dates and no one would be allowed to take off that day for any reason, even for a funeral. So I quit, with that being said. I wasn't just going to miss my grandma's funeral/wake because they decided they didn't want anyone taking off for some reason. Along with the horrid management, this company tends to make it seem as if everything that goes wrong in the warehouse is the employees fault, even if it wasn't. They take no responsibility for their wrong doings or faults.

Start listening to the employees questions and concerns instead of just assuming everything is perfectly okay.

Do Not Relocate For A Professional Position With This Company

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at D&H Distributing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seemed like nice people, family atmosphere. On-site parking and good benefits. They'll even pay a gym membership up to $150.00.

Cons

Relocated from out-of-state after being told they are looking for a long-term employee. I was initially contacted by a recruiter and after an in-depth interview process (3 telephone interviews and one SKYPE interview, and an in-person interview) I gave notice to my previous employer. Within 10 days of starting the job, there was an IT reorg and within 45 days, both myself and another employee who had been there about 4-1/2 months were let go. I had stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks and had I known how short the duration of this job would be, I would never have signed a 1 year lease...so I am now on the hook for the balance of the lease and stuck paying utilities and rent when I do not have a job in Harrisburg...still maintaining my home (mortgage, etc.) in another state. The company does not pay relocation costs but I was led to believe this was going to be a great opportunity...it was.. until the manager who hired me ended up with another position and I had a different manager as a result of the reorg. I accepted the position in good faith and had absolutely no idea they would do this to me. I wasn't even allowed to clean out my desk....they just gave me a couple of my things and showed me the door. I was not given any significant reason...I think they just decided to change course at my expense. I had thought I did my due diligence about this company...I did not have a written contract but there were lots of positive emails....there was an oral contract and a handshake. I have been put in a very bad position by this company. There were no signs of any issues...needless to say I have been left holding the bag...unless I seek legal recourse. Emotionally, physically and financially, I am a wreck right now. and I am writing this review to prevent someone else from going through this.

Before you make a job offer to someone out of state and have them relocate to the area, think more carefully about what your employment needs are. If you want to attract well-educated, highly qualified and trustworthy employees, you can't treat people like you treated me. If you plan on reorganizing, don't hire new employees until you get your act together. Above all, have some compassion. Don't think that you can burn someone the way I was burned and get away with it. Although Pennsylvania like most states is an at-will employment state, and you can fire someone without reason....there is case law out there to protect employees who have been given the shaft and have relied on information provided by your management and HR.