D2L

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.1

John Baker

Pros
  • The work-life balance leaned a bit too heavily towards the life part (in 12 reviews)

• The office space is very cool with other cool businesses within the building (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Most the voices of dissent were "let go" so now all we have left are 'yes' men in management (in 6 reviews)

• Its always been and will be a "family business" (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

88 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent place to work

I have been working at D2L full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Collaboration within the team (includes product owner and product designer)
    - Exciting and relevant work
    - Everyone is approachable, friendly, and ready to help out
    - Senior leaders who care and are transparent; friendly and easy to talk to in one-to-one situations
    - Good company direction and lots of potential
    - Flex time

Cons

- Leaders having trouble aligning priorities across departments (but has vastly improved)

- None; leaders are aware of areas of improvement and are working towards improving themselves

Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Developer (Co-op) in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer (Co-op) in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at D2L as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- I did a coop term there and I got real projects to work on.
    - Had the opportunity to learn about different technologies.
    - People didn't treat me as a coop.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

Perfect for me and my family.

I have been working at D2L full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

D2L is perfect for me. If you're smart, passionate and skilled I want to work with you too.

I've been lurking for a while now but some of the recent reviews by my "former peers" made me speak up and do this review thing. I can't believe how negative some of them are. We obviously didn't work at the same company. If that's how they felt, then I'm glad they are gone. I can guess at who a few of them were though...

I've been with D2L for a little over 3 years now. I joined in the boom cycle and I have no idea what it was like in the early days. I've been in the KW tech scene for a decade since i graduated from UW (this is probably enough to identify me but I don't care). I've worked at flame-out startups, midsized companies and even did a 2 year stint at RIM. None have compared to the balance and flexibility that D2L gives me and my family. The work is challenging though sometimes grunt-ish, the vision is inspiring and my teammates are awesome. Maybe I'm just lucky to be on a cool project.

in comparison to the startups I worked with we play less at D2L, but we also don't waste days playing FPS shooters either. I'm not surprised none of those companies exist any longer and I'm glad I can count on always getting paid. RIM was awful for my family though it did pay considerably more. I can't really complain about my salary at D2L though since it supports my whole family comfortably. Maybe others are different or greedy. My friends who work at places like Thalmic, Kik etc make about the same I do so I don't get all the grumping I see here about pay. I get to eat dinner with my family every single night of the week. That's priceless to me.

I'm rambling.

Pros:
    - Inspiring vision. What I do today will benefit my kids tomorrow.
    - Challenging work. I think this is most projects in the dev group though there are a few I might not be happy on.
    - Great teams. Everyone I work with is awesome, passionate and committed.
    - Good changes recently. Change sucks, but these have been for the better in retrospect.
    - Awesome women. Seriously, there are some wicked smart ladies here.
    - Nick Oddson (He's the SVP of Product Development)

Yeah, Nick is a Pro in my books. Both as a professional and as one reason I'm still here. He joined sometime in 2013 and since then D2L has matured a lot. I attribute it to him and his leadership. He's also helping the managers and directors grow up too. The change he's brought has been good even if it was hard to swallow for some. He's approachable, fun, humble and knows his stuff. Some of the managers here like to say that "D2L is in it's adolescence". I think that's true. We aren't a startup. We have shareholders, we are profitable and we have investors but we haven't fully matured either. if I had to describe the other negative reviews I'd call them "hormonal". Whiny, short-sighted, materialistic, wannabe-CEOs complaining because one thing wasn't to their liking.

Now I'm ranting.

So I'll just say this: If you are reading this because you have an offer from D2L in your hands, if you're awesome and especially if you have a family come work with me. You'll love it here. Negotiate the hell out of your offer though :).

Remember most review sites are slanted to the negative since complainers waste time and happy people are busy being happy in their life and work.

Cons

We do have our bad days but they aren't as frequent as other places I've worked. It's work, it's not always as fun as playing with the family or doing my hobbies. I don't think there is any place that is 100% fun though.

Salary. I'm going to have to assume there is a bit of truth in here for some people. When comparing only on salary we might not come out on top. Other stuff makes up for it though.

Benefits. Feels kinda startupish. Some major gaps in the benefits policies. Hopefully they are working on that too.

Founder Syndrome. It was way worse 3 years ago when I joined. It was "just do what John says" then. It's more strategic now, but it's still hard to call "fixed".

Vacation. Seriously, that's the only crappy thing. It's based on D2L tenure rather than industry experience or career achievements. I hear it's non-negotiable but it wasn't a problem for me since the offer was exactly what I was getting at my last place anyway.

Founders (John, Jeremy, etc): Recognize when to defer to your newly hired SVPs please. They are a smart bunch and have more collective experience than you do. You don't know anything outside of D2L, though you did get us this far (so thanks!). You don't have to learn things yourself through making avoidable mistakes they've already learned elsewhere.

do you know what you sell? do you even believe in it?

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

dogs
    nice people who try to be friendly
    close to home

Cons

people easily make up reasons for leaving work before 4:00
    does not have good culture or sticks to its core values
    processes overwhelm understanding of product they create and sell
    low pay, you can be frugal and you still can't save money
    no proper internal training. infrequent.

free tshirts don't make up for abusively low salaries. promoting same people over and over sends a bad message to really good employees who don't get any real recognition

I've grown as the company has grown

I have been working at D2L full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People ask me what its like to work here. Well I would say I work here but more importantly I have a career here. I have twice had the opportunity to provide feedback on the way we do things and then been empowered to make those changes happen. Is it perfect here? .. nope.. But there again I challenge anyone to find somewhere that is.

D2L is growing and maturing. As a result we are learning the things we don't know. As those learning's happen we prioritize the things we need to work on. That happens at the ground level and up. Yes there are priorities that are handed down to me , but I do get to voice my opinions. That to me is very important. I don't expect it will all go my way there are some really smart people here so I expect better idea. But I do get to participate and I try to support the next step plan regardless.

There are new folks coming in across the organization. They bring lots of experience with them . This will mean change. Some will dislike that . But its a necessary part of the growth . If we don't change the world around us will and we'll not be successful.

I work with super smart and passionate people. Its a very diverse group of people. The various perspectives allow me to think smarter as I leverage their knowledge or view points.

The work life balance is good. I can work from home if I need to. Are there times I work late, yep .. But its because I want my team to be successful. I choose that . I want to personally be successful so I invest in me and the company.

Culture - that's different on where you are in the org. Overall I find it good. But sometimes we need to walk the walk more.

Environment: work areas good, equipment ok, great collaboration spaces ,open concept great for easy chats but can lead to some excessive noise if your colleagues nearby are not being quiet.

Parking - You'll get a space and you don't pay for it! You get a bonus if you don't use it!!

If you're someone who wants to be part of change and willing to put the effort in then this is a great place to make your mark.

Cons

- compensation - Its ok but if your looking for RIM type salaries you wont find them here... But its also not RIM .. This is a place you want to work .
    Benefits are basic. They could do with a revamp. Frequency of review/updates to these should be more often.
    - Silos - There are some departments that have Siloed themselves which makes it tough to break down the barriers to being effective
    -While individuals are encouraged to participate in information gathering for decisions there is a minority that gripe and whine that they are not informed about everything and why every decision is made. get over yourselves that's not how the world works. Yes be involved. But where your not have some faith that the people making a decision (which could be your peers or managers) have the best intent when they do make them. They support those decisions. Do go around moaning and undermining things.
    -Lots of folks waiting for someone else to fix the problems. Take ownership of fixing something! Even if its not in your immediate area of influence. Passively sitting back and moaning about it wont fix things.
    -Work based on actions - ensure discussions result in actions not inaction
    - some middle management promoted due to passion versus skill

So to temper my Cons section here I would say its changing for the better. But we still have a ways to go... But I truly think we will get there.

Listen to your people they have some great ideas
    Listen to your customers
    Don't try and solve it all. When you do decide on the top items don't mess with the teams . Let them finish then move on to the next things. BTW there cant be 91 top items. And be clear on what you want.
    Mr Baker - Let go of the reigns and let the awesome people you have hired do their jobs. While this company will always be your baby. It now needs to walk/run on its own.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best part of D2L is it's people -- easy to talk to, friendly, and willing to help each other out. Made for a very collaborative and open environment. Excellent work-life balance and company focus on ensuring that people are engaged and happy.

Cons

Figuring out process as the company grows can lead to extra overhead but this should improve as the kinks get worked out.

Great place to work!

I have been working at D2L full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance
    Great benefits
    can brings dogs to work, play with dogs at work
    great leadership

Cons

salaries a little below expectations
    Parking is all over the place, would be nice to not have to walk so far to get into the office from your parking spot

Good for a starting role straight out of university - not a place for a non-junior employee

I have been working at D2L full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, free snacks, good mission statement "working in education". Good work/life balance

Cons

Aging tech stack, little opportunities for career growth. Too many employees with no working experience outside of D2L can be hard to give the company perspective on how companies are "supposed" to be run.

C-Level and executive team is using the same strategies to run the company of 800 that the used at 80. Hiring your friends and family to fill key positions is not a way to get a diversity of opinion.

Re-evaluate growth strategy - the LMS market is not one that is growing year-on-year. Focus on retaining clients through true value rather than flashy sales pitches and pricing deals. You will lose clients as students and instructors start to evaluate your product against competitors and become part of the purchasing committee.

Don't drink the cool-aid

I worked at D2L full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pet friendly. That is about the only pro. It tells me I need 5 words but I'm just filling space here.

Cons

Everything. Horrible managers who are power tripping. Big fat smile on your face only means your a rat in sheep's clothing. Back-stabbing management. Steal your ideas, never give credit where it's due, only interested in their own self-promotion. Staff treated like garbage. People who are extremely talented and far too nice getting abused and expected to take it on threat of being canned. "I hire for ability and fire for personality" was heard. How disgusting is that?

See through the fake smile and big laugh and sucking up. Recognize your true talent and dump the waste.

Good place if you are young and looking for somewhere to start out

Current Employee - NOC Administrator in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - NOC Administrator in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at D2L full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Snacks are provided, you are allowed to bring your dog to work, friendly atmosphere if you stay out of the politics between teams and leaders.
    You get to work with newer technology and have the opportunity to develop a lot of knowledge with a wide range of products/tools/technologies.

Cons

Leadership takes career movement personally.
    The politics between teams is unbearable at times.
    If you don't align with the right team and leaders, you should either keep to yourself or prepare to be walked out the door.

Consider why you are having such high turnover. Listen to the employee's feedback. Pay people what they deserve, and stop hiring yes-man and bullies as leaders.