D2L

www.d2l.com

D2L Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

John Baker

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance, tons of non-monetary benefits, generally young workforce, high energy, company is trending in the right direction(in 5 reviews)

• The company is growing at a rapid pace(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Most the voices of dissent were "let go" so now all we have left are 'yes' men in management(in 6 reviews)

• Its always been and will be a "family business"(in 5 reviews)

Great company atmosphere and co-workers

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsSolid work-life balance, collaborative environment, visionary leadership, competitive pay. I have been given the opportunity to grow within D2L and have had great experiences with management.

ConsExperience for remote employees, vertical movement within sales/marketing organization, product delivery. D2L is in a time of transition as a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementD2L can be a very motivating place to work and the people within the company really believe in the mission of 'Transforming Teaching and Learning". One bit of advise would be to not try to be all things to all people, but improve the experience of our core solution to better compete in the market. Look to build the D2L brand and empower your remote employees to extend that brand.

What a joke!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA cool building if that's what drives you. You can own a 100k car but if the engine does not work - it becomes worthless!!!

ConsExtremely poor benefits and compensation plan.
    Family run business units within the company - speaks volumes.
    There is a "HUGE" issue with communication between leadership, management and employees.
    False promises from the day you start - sold a bill of goods.
    Lack of decision making ability from management and leadership.
    Does not give proper recognition for the people who actually do all the work.

If you decide to take a position at D2L, please keep your resume updated and have your head checked.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all management and hire an outside firm restructure the organization.

Good company to work for but the culture is currently shifting to that of a much larger company.

Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsFlex time is great if you need to go to an appointment or even if you just want to leave a little early on a Friday. Variety of work keeps it interesting. Open concept office with half height cubes is always good.

ConsLow pay, they used to be able to use the excuse of a growing company with tons of opportunity to move around but every day they're becoming more of a big corporate company, they should be reevaluating their start-up sized salary. A lot of people are currently leaving because of the culture shift and low pay. Hopefully they will address this soon as it is otherwise a good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop implementing large, time consuming policies and procedures, it's causing the good talent to bleed out to smaller companies

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place in transition

Software Developer (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsA great place to work. Lots of smart people, good atmosphere. Most teams make it a joy to come to work every day. Interesting challenges are easy to come by and people are encouraged to take them on if they want to. Dogs in office, stocked kitchens, etc.
    The company is in transition in its software as well as its culture, which creates amazing opportunities to help shape architecture. (Over the last several months we've gone from few tests to extensive coverage, 6 month release to continuous delivery, etc)

ConsAs the company grows there are some teams which have a worse culture than others, get to know your manager before coming onboard. You'll note most of the negative reviews come from the same one or two positions (think sales).
    Some teams are polluted with BlackBerry employees and need process to use the bathroom. They tend to kill fun and joy where they see it. Avoid those.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace your culture. The occasional nerf fight ultimately makes everyone more productive. Becoming a no fun, process intense BlackBerry clone will get you where it got BlackBerry. Trying to embrace Agile on the one hand while bringing in fleets of micromanagers who can't function in a company of less than 50,000 isn't a coherent vision.
    It's no coincidence that some teams have consistently zero turnover while others can't keep anyone.

Its a family business, if they like you, you are golden, if not they will find a way to get rid of you

ProsLocation, business sector is booming, potential to grow (see title)

ConsLeadership that is out of touch with reality. Certain senior can do whatever they please including treating employees badly. They will fire you if they don't like you or if you say something negative about the leadership, regardless of your talents.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining for senior people, too many of them are promoted due to longevity but have no management skills or people skills

Arrogance, products that don't perform, and politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsDecent pay for the role. If you are in proposals, implementation, or product development you will feel valued. Since I worked from HQ, there were lots of benefits (food, cool vibe in the office, dogs allowed with some restrictions, and a relaxed dress code) but I don't think remote employees would be able to enjoy any of those perks.

ConsIf you are in marketing, sales, or customer support, prepare to be disappointed. Seem to be biased toward workers who work from HQ as opposed to remote employees. Company is fond of restructuring. Fairly high turnover, and you never know who has left until you try to email them - management and HR keep things very hush-hush. Questionable ethics of senior leadership. Hard to believe they keep winning awards for best managed company and best places to work. Must be the CEO's family voting for him... because they all work there.

Trying to like it

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsGood benefits (prescriptions, vision, dental, etc) compared to other places
    Offices are nice and clean
    Some people say the dog friendly office is a nice thing I really don't care

ConsI feel the company is still trying to find its own personality, it is a mix of old BlackBerry and Google wanna be. So is hard to identify with the culture there
    There is a delay in your first payment and also the first two weeks of work are not included in your first paycheck meaning you can go with out pay for 1 month depending your start day. It is not clear this in the contract and one of the first bad impressions I got. They’ll pay you the two weeks when you leave the company
    Parking is a painful, I park two blocks from the building, good for exercise but it sucks in winter
    They fire people fast without warning, I've seen 5 cases in 9 months plus major layoffs due to a restructure in December 2013. They still keep restructuring so probably more layoffs
    There is not insurance coverage during probation (3 months) I don't like this. ln other place you have coverage from day 1

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be your self don't imitate the big boys companies

Greatly enjoyed my time

ProsMet a lot of very interesting co-workers
    Great office environment
    Got to participate in some interesting tasks
    Dogs in the office!

ConsSometimes had to work on overly simple tasks
    Seemed to be a bit of office politics going on in the background

A cruel place for sales...it is not as it appears!

Senior Enterprise Sales Executive (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsYou may like the marketplace in which they are in, however you will duped by how unattached to reality the management team is here.

ConsToo many to really go over, but you WILL be let-go with no explanation, warning or relation to anything sales related at some point at around the 6-12 month point, 50-70% of the time a sales person is let-go. I still work here, but have seen dozens of people let-go in my time here, which has been short. If you are thinking of taking a sales position here, do yourself a favor and contact some past sales reps, you will not find one positive experience! Reps have been let-go for asking one wrong question in a meeting, not bowing to the egos at the top or not part of the "click". If you are more than 10 miles out of the HQ, you have another hurdle to contend with. This place is truly cruel the way it treats their sales team and they seem almost proud...trust me...call ex-reps to learn more because this place will set you back!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing with people's lives and careers like it is a game!

Good Potential - but the time has come to "step up the game" or the opportunity will be lost

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros* Visionary CEO
    * Company has made recent in roads to many new markets and verticals
    * Company recognized as a thought-leader - the one to watch
    * Cool Offices - nice events
    * Company has attracted many wonderful and seasoned people recently - which they seriously needed
    * Loyal and enthusiastic customers
    * Some amazing and dedicated people

Cons* CEO needs to step back - company too large now for constant involvement in multiple ares/departments
    * Wages mediocre compared to marketplace
    * Company needs to act it's age & size - products need to mature as well
    * Senior Management skills and experience spotty - some great - some need to be replaced
    * A family business
    * Company struggling with becoming a bigger organization - too many influences from the past - old guard needs to let go - trust the new folks they have attracted or those folks will soon move on, frustrated with the inability to make the contribution and differences they were asked, and brought in to do during the interview - it's already happening

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have made it to the "big leagues" - you've got some of the talent you were lacking (not all of it yet) and you have the market's attention. Don't stumble now. Listen to the people you have brought in, make tough decisions about some of the folks who have been around a while and act your age and size

Worked for D2L? Contribute to the Community!