DALSA Reviews

2.4
DALSA Executive Vice President Rex D. Geveden
Rex D. Geveden

Stagnant

I have been working at DALSA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The technology and the people (most) are amazing and great to work with. I enjoyed working here over the years.

Cons

Most people who work here have been here for a long time. This can it very difficult to change or improve processes and to advance/grow. Some benefits are left to manager discretion and can be given or taken away based on your relationship with management. Compensation is not distributed based on hard work and performance but more on management's whim. Previous CEO cared about his employees, not so sure about the new one.

Advice to Management

All of your employees matter and you should focus more on morale and growing their careers. You should compensate your hard working employees and reward them appropriately; not just the ones that make the most noise.

2. Exciting new 'it can't be done' design ideas sucessfully implemented in a supportive group environment.

Former Employee - Product Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at DALSA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company policy and how well Savvas looked after us all. We worked together to survive the tough times and celebrate the good times - together.

Cons

Its bloody cold all the time ☺. And to be honest the pay was way below everyone else

Advice to Management

I talk to many friends still with Dalsa. They need the moral boost of old. Remember what worked to bring the people together. It will do so much for productivity.

Strange mix

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at DALSA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technologies Many smart engineers Advanced product lines

Cons

Merge of many companies incomplete Political struggles evident No loyalty nor consistent path to the future

Advice to Management

Keep pruning. Many employees thrive by embedding themselves. Don't stay stagnent.

Not what it use to be.

I have been working at DALSA

Pros

Cool technology Good people to work with. Good work life balance

Cons

Focus has changed from seeing people as assets to seeing them as expenses.

Have worked here for 20 months and that's 19 months too long.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at DALSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers (smart, talented, nice people). Business casual attire. You don't have to pay into your benefits. Lot's of annual sick/vacation days, which you can carry over to the next year.

Cons

Everyone is seriously underpaid. If you're married and have a duel income then this may not be a huge problem for you. But too many employees here that are single and who work here full time, have SECOND JOBS! That's crazy! Promotions never happen. Raises are only possible once a year and are determined by some guys in California who don't even know you exist. And if we are lucky enough to get a raise (because they are not guaranteed), it doesn't even match the increased cost of living. They let go of people every few months. Mainly people in management positions. Why? Because they can replace them with someone new, who they can pay less and give less vacation time to.... And that's IF they even replace that person. They like to let go of people, then make other employees do that persons work, for no extra compensation. Because we are an incorporated company, you will never be seen as a person. Just a pawn some millionaire can use to acquire even more money. Even is you're fortunate enough to have an awesome supervisor/manager (like I do), it doesn't even matter. Ultimately, they can't help you advance or make a decent amount of money here.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the VP's at Teledyne. Giving us a bonus of 0.795% was a slap in the face! Is that all we are worth? I wish you could come here and see with your own eyes how stressed and over worked everyone here is. Enjoy your steak and lobster while I'm eating a can of soup for dinner (I know how much we are raking in for you). But if everyone walked off the production floor, if the engineers stopped designing and improving products, if the accounts didn't balance the books, you'd be eating soup for dinner too.

A company culture that's difficult to tolerate

Former Employee - Professional Engineer in Bromont, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Professional Engineer in Bromont, QC (Canada)

I worked at DALSA full-time

Pros

Mostly nice people, with a pool of young engineers who have the talent and potential to bring to the company, and the company situates in a very nice town.

Cons

The company culture was not meritocracy based and the imbalanced management team didn't know or care how to rally engineers across the board for close collaboration.

Advice to Management

Top management needs to show leadership for a 21st century high-tech company and build a technically-solid and balanced management team or it risks demoralizing employees (mainly engineers), failing to meet unrealistic delivery schedules and losing market shares.

good expérience

I worked at DALSA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional team, co-workers are very dedicated and willing to work long hours to achieve results.

Cons

The organizational communication must be improved, a lot senior level positions.

Advice to Management

Being open and transparent with the employees about the challenges it faces and provide motivation to achieve their goals.

Confusing Message from Corporate

Current Employee - Design Specialist in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Design Specialist in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at DALSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people around the office are nice. The quality of work is decent. The nature of the business keeps it interesting.

Cons

No matter how good performance is, it always seems like we are "missing targets". It seems like the company is constantly shifting focus. It feels like corporate doesn't know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Focus on setting attainable goals. It's frustrating to be constantly promised something to always miss it for some seemingly made up reason.

Keep distance from them

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at DALSA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible time (still depends on your manager)

Cons

Poor management Lots of stress on employees No motivation for employees Low salary No room to growth Dry atmosphere very political in higher management level

Flexible,decent compensation,but the future doesn't look bright

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at DALSA full-time

Pros

There are some good things about working here. -flexible schedule -decent salary -good benefits Some people might be happy with all this but there are cons...

Cons

-most people worked here for 15-20 years and they are still used to old ways. Now that DALSA is owned by Teledyne, things have changed. Being part of a larger corporation it seems like we don't get any rewards... - most ppl seemed to have reached a plateau

Advice to Management

Employees need some incentives. No motivation to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed